LEAK: SHURE SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 headphones (and pricing) likely to be announced tomorrow! (And mini-review of SRH840.)
Apr 21, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #61 of 431
IMO, the SRH840 is going after the studio/recording/DJ market in its price and looks. I wonder how it compared with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 which has received wonderful reviews from fellow Head-fiers.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #62 of 431
Hello All,

To i_dont_know and malos

FR Charts: FR charts will probably be available after launch.

To elnero:

Straight cable option: Currently not an option but something we should consider in the future. While we are on the subject (and since I forgot to mention them in my original post) here are the accessories we'll have available at launch:

Accessories:

-HPAEC240
-HPAEC440
-HPAEC840
*One pair, Ear pads for each all 3 models: (And yes they all use different ear pads. Jude alluded to the fact that you can interchange the 440 and 840 pads which is true, and the 840 ear pads are somewhat of an upgrade as they use a softer material and more form fitting foam. However, out of the box the 440s come with slightly different ear pads.)

HPACA1:
*Replacement Cable: A replacement for your current cable, works with the SRH440 and 840

HPACP1:
*Headphone Carrying Pouch: Comes with the 440 and 840, but not included in the 240. This model replaces the one that comes with the 440 and 840 but the 240 fits in it just fine.

HPAQA1:
*Locking 6.3mm-3.5mm adapter: Comes with all models. But also available as a replacement (all 3 headphones have locking threads)

All pricing available after launch.

To odigg:

Stores will be announced soon. You probably won't have a problem finding them from most of Shure's authorized dealers and you've name a few likely suspects. We'll obviously encourage as many retailers as possible to demo them in-store.

To smallcaps:

With us putting a 2.5mm input on the headphone, it probably won't be a problem for serious modders to find a way to develop some really cool upgrade cable options. However, you'll notice in the pic above from jude that the cable locks into the cable headphone assembly via a "bayonet style" mechanism that modders will have to adapt into their designs. This style wasn't done to intentionally make it harder to modd by any means, but rather employed as it was the most reliable option on the table from a reliability and ease of use stand point.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #63 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you describe them compare to ATH ESW9 or even ES7 please.

would like to know this as well
wink_face.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #64 of 431
one other question what size are the drivers in the SRH 840?

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #65 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one other question what size are the drivers in the SRH 840?

mjay posted the specs for all the new Shure full sized headphones already.

The drivers are 40mm.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #68 of 431
hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on the 840. I was saving up for the denon 2000, and this sounds like it might be a contender. Look forward to some further comparisons, and pissed I missed the Michigan meet!! :frowning2:

If I come to the shure building near skokie, can I try the cans? its on my way!! lol. I even have a couple of buddies from college who work there!!!

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #71 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prepare to be frustrated, jpelg, as I've been putting my feelers out more and more for these kinds of advanced jumps that are relevant to the community here--and SHURE releasing full-sized headphones is definitely relevant here. And there's more coming from others that will make this one of the best years for headphone audio that I can remember.

AKG K1001?
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #72 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjay1977 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With us putting a 2.5mm input on the headphone, it probably won't be a problem for serious modders to find a way to develop some really cool upgrade cable options. However, you'll notice in the pic above from jude that the cable locks into the cable headphone assembly via a "bayonet style" mechanism that modders will have to adapt into their designs. This style wasn't done to intentionally make it harder to modd by any means, but rather employed as it was the most reliable option on the table from a reliability and ease of use stand point.

that's great to hear and thanks for your response. i did notice the bayonet shape of the of the locking mechanism. it looks to lock sturdily and suggests that it needs only a fraction of rotation to lock and unlock, i'm guessing something like a quick release?

its also nice to hear that a headphone producer is not adverse to the modding community. we all know about voiding the warranty, but experiencing some of the modifications and improvements over the original, manufactured headphone stock can be quite an enriching experience for the enduser, and can only be good for company image. look to mercedes benz and AMG if you're a car buff. and best of all it happens organically here in the forums. think of it as a distributed R&D laboratory.

thanks again for your comments and welcome to head-fi.org
atsmile.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #73 of 431
These headphones seem to be quite amazing ! I am getting sick of my in-ear headphones so I've decided to buy some full-sized headphones, I was going to buy the Sennheiser HD-25 but I found out about the Shure SRH840 and it made me hesitate in my plan to buy the HD25.
The only thing that keeps me from spending my money in the Shure is the fact that the cable is 3M long which is quite annoying because I'd like to use them in the streets, with my iPod Touch. Do you know if it will be possible to use a shorter cable or something like that ?

(sorry if I made mistakes, since I'm french my english isn't the best).

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #74 of 431
YAY !

Haha i actually joined head-fi to post that article that is linked on the first page of this thread! Sweet it seems like these are finally going to be real !

That price point is amazing...it almost makes me wonder if the 2 lower end models will sell well at all because the top-of-the-line is so much cheaper than other brands' top-of-the-lines ?

One thing that I know many people are interested in is a comparison to other popular closed headphones: Denon D1001/2000/etc and Ultrasone HFI-780...a lot of people say these are great for rock/metal
L3000.gif

I am super glad that these are going to get huge attention even outside of the head-fi community. If there is anyway to get people to stop buying those ridiculously overpriced BOSE and BEATS BY DR DRE (MSRP $350) headphones at Best Buy and the Apple store...i am all for it ! And if these phones have good isolation from outside sound, they are going to be a huge hit. Good job shure !

Last thing...i really wonder how these sound with heavier and faster rock/metal/hardcore. I love the bass impact of closed headphones so i cant wait.

What do you think the in-store demos will be like ? Whenever i listened to the Bose in-store demo they are playing what sounds like a binaural recording so it sounds like a huge soundstage - ridonkulously misleading. I am rooting for Shure to beat that marketing BS and sell their product based on sheer product QUALITY.

-henry

ps sorry for the long post ! ive been waiting for these since i started the first thread on them !!! alright i have a final exam at 1pm so i gotta go ! headphones > final exams

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #75 of 431
I got a lil' picture happy here
normal_smile .gif
. Found them on the regular shure site (not international) man even those first ones are kinda sexy...
wink_face.gif

Hmm...the second picture shows them connected to a Macbook...looks like they'll definitely be selling them @ the Apple store, if not sampling them there. Im so glad. Get rid of that other headphone garbage they sell there for as much as their computers.

site_img_srh240_table_large.jpg

site_img_srh240_life_large.jpg

site_img_srh440_table_large.jpg

site_img_srh440_life_large.jpg

site_img_srh840_table_large.jpg

site_img_srh840_life_large.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back