LD MKIII vs DV 336i - Honestly...
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently in the final stages of deciding which of these two amps to buy. From what I've read here, the DV consistently scores a bit higher. However, tube rolling capabilities have generally been a factor in those assessments. My question is, WITHOUT considering tube rolling, is the DV really that much better than the LD? I'm not likely to tube roll unless something burns out. I have a Harley to tweak, when I'm in the mood for that.

Another concern I have is shipping from China. David uses EMS/USPS for delivery. Jasmine says OOE/DHL. Has anyone had any difficulties with either of these methods and is one preferred over the other?

I live in a gated apartment complex and unless I know when the package is due to arrive, I may never see it. I'm not too worried about the post office, but DHL has been problematic for me on more than one occasion.

Thank you...

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently in the final stages of deciding which of these two amps to buy. From what I've read here, the DV consistently scores a bit higher. However, tube rolling capabilities have generally been a factor in those assessments. My question is, WITHOUT considering tube rolling, is the DV really that much better than the LD? I'm not likely to tube roll unless something burns out. I have a Harley to tweak, when I'm in the mood for that.

Another concern I have is shipping from China. David uses EMS/USPS for delivery. Jasmine says OOE/DHL. Has anyone had any difficulties with either of these methods and is one preferred over the other?

I live in a gated apartment complex and unless I know when the package is due to arrive, I may never see it. I'm not too worried about the post office, but DHL has been problematic for me on more than one occasion.

Thank you...

Well, to my knowledge, there has been only two members here who HAD both the LDII++ and 336i on the same occasion, and BOTH came away happier with the 336i. I'm not here to "push" a product I like, I'm giving it to you, the way I found it. (I understand this isn't the specific model, but is a solid reference point, and this is as close to the MKIII as we're going to get; at the moment)

There has been also a professional reviewer, review both the LD II++ (I again, understand this isn't the specific model) tubes rolled, and a stock 336i. He ALSO preferred the 336i.

On a lighter note, tube rolling for either amp, proves some-what significant results over stock tubes, without spending more than a few bucks; usually.

MOST amp manufactures use cheap stock tubes for a reason; because they're cheap, and allows them to cut the price overall a few bucks. Plus, they need thousands of them, which isn't necessarily easy to find. I understand you didn't want to discuss tube rolling, but should be something to consider.

Regarding both sellers; both have a perfect feedback around here. I would highly recommend either one.

Why not ask each seller if they can ship via another service? Most will..

Lastly, I don't think, as far as I know, there is anyone who has BOTH the LD MKIII and the 336i both on hand. There's been two, to my knowledge who have had the LDII++ and 336i. I'm pretty sure of that, otherwise I would have linked you to it, trust me.
580smile.gif

I hope this helped... a little.. and I'm sure this hasn't helped narrow down your decision, but honestly, you cannot go wrong with either. "I" personally think the 336i looks better, but others also like the looks of the MKIII. Both are solid amps. I too, considered both, and ended up going with a used 336i from a member here.

Maybe if you inform us with what type of music you listen to, and how often, maybe this information could help us further. Both amps have two different sound signatures, and each amp favors different music. If you like vocals, of ANY kind, go with the 336i. (I love female vocals, and the 336i just brings them to life)

-Nick
580smile.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 11
nick - Thanks for all of that. I appreciate the input. Sorry, I failed to mention my intended use for each amp. Like you I am BIG on female vocals. At the moment, all my cans are Senn (280P, 515, 555 and 595). I may try something else in the near future. Perhaps AKG K601 or something Beyer (800?). Thanks again...

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

nick - Thanks for all of that. I appreciate the input. Sorry, I failed to mention my intended use for each amp. Like you I am BIG on female vocals. At the moment, all my cans are Senn (280P, 515, 555 and 595). I may try something else in the near future. Perhaps AKG K601 or something Beyer (800?). Thanks again...

Since my amp came with some used and NOS tubes, I had the opportunity (early) to use rolled tubes. And since I decided to listen to rolled tubes first, it's making it harder to distinguish rolled tubes from stock tubes.

What I can say is this: The 6AS7 (rear coke-bottle shaped) tube is pretty good stock. It's the smaller, front tube, the 6SN7 that should be upgraded.

If you end up choosing the 336i, I can sell you some pretty common (at least on eBay) and lightly-used 6SN7 tubes for hella-cheap (ie. a few bucks; literally).

I like to listen to female vocals a lot, and some on remastered recordings, I can hear her (in this case Taylor Swift [enhanced CD]) lick her lips, right before she starts singing on three tracks. I was utterly blown away the first time I heard it, and I'm using some cheap ($100) headphones, but they are extremely detailed 'phones. Again, I cannot and won't guarantee you can/will hear this, as we all have different hearing, and use different headphones, and own different material (SACD, remastered CD's, loseless MP3's etc.) HOWEVER, I can say confidently, if you listen to even a decent amount of vocals, you will like the 336i.

-Nick

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Sounds great! Hey, how about that CT interconnect cable in your sig. Is that also a good investment? THANKS!

Hey, while this is a highly subjective topic, these cables have tightened up the bass a little, increased the soundstange a little bit, and also added a little warmth I was missing.

For $35 for pure silver (which has been discussed before, because the amount of silver in these cables goes for around $80 + termination and insulation) it's stupid not to try them. They're a sleeper product, and not many people know about them because the company went down, or got bought out. But they used to make some high-end cables, close to the thousands.

If you don't have a interconnect, these are defiantly worth a shot. Or if you have one, and are looking for another cheap bargain. These are worth a shot! Again, you may not hear the same things, but with my headphones, I could hear these improvements. And it was most defiantly worth $35.

Here's a link.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/CT_Cable...e_pricing_.htm

And you need two pieces (one red, one white).

I'll post a picture of mine in a minute..

EDIT: Here you go.. Click on a picture for a larger version..

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 11
I have both the LDII++ and the new LDMKIVse. I know by reading here that many lean toward the DV's for looks. One thing is for sure, the new MK series from Little Dot is a VAST improvement over the older models. Not little amounts, we are talking about HUGE amounts even with stock tubes. Shipping has been so fast using that EMS mail, it is startling! I ordered my MKIVse on a Wednesday and it arrived the following Wednesday. China to Arizona! That just blew me away.

Try going back to the Little Dot forums and read some of the user feedback and reviews before you decide. Many here are baseing their opinions on DV vs LDII++ which is a 2-3 year old model. This isn't exactly a balanced comparison.

Even though I love the sound of my LDII++ (after much tube rolling), it can't even come close to my MkIVse. It is a whole other universe!!!

Have fun though, ok? Buy what does it for you!

Dave

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 11
My main issue with Darkvoice 336i is the horrible enclosure it comes in. LittleDot enclosures are always high quality and look good too. I know ALOT of people don't care about looks around here but if I have something sitting on my computer desk 24/7 it better look decent.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try going back to the Little Dot forums and read some of the user feedback and reviews before you decide. Many here are baseing their opinions on DV vs LDII++ which is a 2-3 year old model. This isn't exactly a balanced comparison.

However, it's better to base it on a little cheaper model, than nothing at all. I'm not sure what you mean by a "2-3 year old model", when you can buy the LD II++ for $188 shipped from David.

I'm not sure I'm following..

Like I mentioned, both are solid amps, and each has it's own unique sound signature. I would recommend both amps anytime of the day.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main issue with Darkvoice 336i is the horrible enclosure it comes in. LittleDot enclosures are always high quality and look good too. I know ALOT of people don't care about looks around here but if I have something sitting on my computer desk 24/7 it better look decent.

DV enclosures are of the same "high-quality" you speak of. Any by judging by pictures, the DV is a more solid build, but is lacking a little Western styling.

Not sure if you want to look at tubes, or an enclosure all day. I listen in the dark, or near dark, and it's cool to look at these cool tubes. I bought a tube amp for the awesome looks of the tubes, because for some reason I am fascinated by them. The 6AS7 defiantly does it justice. This is one cool and unique looking tube, and sounds as good as it does look.

-Nick
580smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, it's better to base it on a little cheaper model, than nothing at all. I'm not sure what you mean by a "2-3 year old model", when you can buy the LD II++ for $188 shipped from David.

I'm not sure I'm following..

Like I mentioned, both are solid amps, and each has it's own unique sound signature. I would recommend both amps anytime of the day.

What I was getting at was the changes to the line up over at Little Dot.
The entire MK series is new this year. It is true they are still making the LDII++ after several years, because they do not have it's MK series replacement ready yet. I hope it will be soon. I plan on keeping my LDII++ for as long as it will run. It's great for using as a desktop amp!

Have a good one!!
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back