LD MK III with K701 - Newbie's impressions
Feb 1, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 27
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I just got some K701s yesterday and plan on buying a MKIII this weekend. Obviously I haven't burned in my K701s properly yet, but I'm wondering if the MKIII will cure some of the sibilance (lisping and guitars in that frequency range) I've been hearing on a K701/CMoy combination?

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I just got some K701s yesterday and plan on buying a MKIII this weekend. Obviously I haven't burned in my K701s properly yet, but I'm wondering if the MKIII will cure some of the sibilance (lisping and guitars in that frequency range) I've been hearing on a K701/CMoy combination?

I am glad you did resurrect this thread because I am still debating on a tube amp to pair with my (well burned in K701's). At the moment I am feeding the 701's with a Xin Reference for want of anything better. This set-up suffers from unbearable sibilance.

I just don't know what amp to buy. Apart from the sibilance issue I'd like the amp to add a bit of warmth/bass to the K701's.

Any suggestions?

Ben

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #19 of 27
I think I'm a tube convert after two weeks of listening my Little Dot. I have never heard such a sweet sound and my RS-2's bass extension goes way down. When I connect RS-2's to Zero's headamp the sound is aggressive and powerful but fatiqueing.

I'm considering of buying K701 again in some day to use them with tubes.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #20 of 27
Well I just bought a MKIII so I'll let you know if it helps with the sibilance fl00r.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just bought a MKIII so I'll let you know if it helps with the sibilance fl00r.

Please do so.

Thanks,

Ben!

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad you did resurrect this thread because I am still debating on a tube amp to pair with my (well burned in K701's). At the moment I am feeding the 701's with a Xin Reference for want of anything better. This set-up suffers from unbearable sibilance.

I just don't know what amp to buy. Apart from the sibilance issue I'd like the amp to add a bit of warmth/bass to the K701's.

Any suggestions?

Ben

Hey Ben! If you don't mind me asking, what were you budgeting for an amp?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ben! If you don't mind me asking, what were you budgeting for an amp?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Penchem! It looks like we're going to the same places
biggrin.gif

My budget at the moment is $500 but I can easily double that next month.
Someone advised me the Musical Fidelity X-CAN.......

There are just too much amps out there, wáááy too much
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Penchem! It looks like we're going to the same places
biggrin.gif

My budget at the moment is $500 but I can easily double that next month.
Someone advised me the Musical Fidelity X-CAN.......

There are just too much amps out there, wáááy too much
frown.gif

I think you are right. Too many indeed! I think the MKIII is the smart amp to buy, but if you were having any doubts, I know for sure the MKIV would make you a happy camper. Better amp design, more power, better components, nice features and looks. The MKIVse is even better too. Any of these can be purchased with your current budget, with room to spare! Over on the MKIVse review thread, a bunch of guys in the last month have bought the MKIVse and they couldn't be happier. It would be worth your time to check it out. If I didn't already have one, I'd be buying one.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #25 of 27
I picked up a LD DAC-1 and a MK III from david, combined shipping to save about 40 bucks overall, 498 shipped for both.

May 31, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 27
So, I just ordered the K702s and a uDAC to use with my Macbook Pro. I guess next I need an amp. Should I go with one of the Little Dots, and if not ,what are the other comparable options. Unfortunately, I'm not looking to spend more than $200 at this point...

May 31, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
So, I just ordered the K702s and a uDAC to use with my Macbook Pro. I guess next I need an amp. Should I go with one of the Little Dots, and if not ,what are the other comparable options. Unfortunately, I'm not looking to spend more than $200 at this point...

I chose the LD MK III because for one, the reviews have all been consistently good, two the customer service at little dot via david has been great so far, answering all my questions and leaving room for customization ( I requested a Blue LED light, that both items ship in the same box, and an RCA to 1/8th cable) and three there are so many people on these forums with knowledge dealing with tube rolling, repair, and diy options. It would also be relatively easy to get rid of the rig if you ended up not being happy with it. I believe the unit was $194 plus 45 for shipping usd? If you can stretch your budget the extra 40 bucks, I have done a lot of research on this item and it was a clear and easy choice in the price range. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back