LD MK III or Total Bithead for K701?
Jul 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

broski

100+ Head-Fier
im seriously considering the AKG K701's as my next pair of cans to purchase and was wondering which amp would be a better buy, the little dot mk III or the total bithead,
ive heard tube amps are great with the 701's, but im not exactly sure what a tube amp is, im a huge nooob when it comes to amps so if somebody could explain what the difference is that would be swell
thanks

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 11
I had the bithead and K701 as my first rig. I ended up getting rid of the K701s as they weren't my style of headphone so, I don't know how to answer your question of whether or not the Bithead is good enough! Well, I do remember the Bithead started clipping at fairly low listening levels.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 11
what exactly do you mean when you say it "starting clipping"??

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 11
The amp couldn't give enough juice to maintain a good level of sound quality at that particular volume you have it set to. I think that's what clipping is. The K701s aren't a particularly amp friendly headphone though and have special needs, and the Bithead isn't exactly a big enough fish for them. If you're looking for something further up in the HeadRoom line I'd suggest the Desktop amp.

But if you were still looking at a tube amp then I'm sure the Little Dot would be okay, but I have no experience with those. The nice thing about HeadRoom's stuff is that you get a DAC and the amp all in one box so you don't have to worry about interconnects and finding good "synergy" between the DAC/amp/headphones.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 11
yea i dont really wanna spend 800 dollars on an amp quite yet, im looking to spend no more than 350 on this one, and if theres a better one for the 701's somebody please let me know

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 11
my $.02 the k701/702 pairs well with the K.I.C.A.S. Caliente. the caliente is a somewhat warm sounding SS amp, and allows the k701 to be what it is - which is a fast, detailed phone. and, the caliente helps fill in (somewhat) the lack of bass and warmth. $349

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 11
The Bithead is completely inadequate for the 70x.  The Headroom Microamp works just fine, however, and it is $350.

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi,

I hate to recommend something I have up for sale but I assure you I would suggest this either way. The 701 and the Millett Starving Student Hybrid Tube amp (MSSHT) match up very nicely. With the amp you get a taste of what tubes are about without spending a fortune.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Hi,

I hate to recommend something I have up for sale but I assure you I would suggest this either way. The 701 and the Millett Starving Student Hybrid Tube amp (MSSHT) match up very nicely. With the amp you get a taste of what tubes are about without spending a fortune.

I agree. When I heard the pairing it was very nice. The K701s work with hybrid amps, but IMHO, not so much with tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back