LCD2 Woody Grill
Jan 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #76 of 102
I like the original shape of the wood covers, a little lower profile. Now to get the sound right and away we go. I also want to strip the wood on mine and do a wax finish, which is much better looking in my opinion and it has a real ring of quality. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #78 of 102
as much as i think these woody grills are awesome i can't see how they wouldnt affect the sound. Just try to cover one cup with you hand while listening to music, or barely approach it and see how it drastically affect the sound !

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #79 of 102
SQ issues/questions aside, these wooden grills are gorgeous!  I would be interested to see them in red sandalwood or cocobolo, or zebrawood, purple heart? hahaha, those would be interesting.  Kingswood might also be nice looking.  I think I like the ebony ones the best so far.  Nice dark wood right there.  For a real challenge, Amboyna burl perhaps? that's expensive wood, but it's beautiful!

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #80 of 102
Gorgeous!!!
Bravo
beerchug.gif

aldo

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #81 of 102

Quote:
SQ issues/questions aside, these wooden grills are gorgeous!  I would be interested to see them in red sandalwood or cocobolo, or zebrawood, purple heart? hahaha, those would be interesting.  Kingswood might also be nice looking.  I think I like the ebony ones the best so far.  Nice dark wood right there.  For a real challenge, Amboyna burl perhaps? that's expensive wood, but it's beautiful!

There has not been a post but Skylab listened to the grills that were sent to me to treat and he PMed me and said the wood sound issue was solved and no longer a issue with the wood and sound he was hearing was no longer apparent. I am waiting for the maker to contact me so I can teach him how to do it.

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #82 of 102
Indeed, the grilles treated by The Satellite guy no longer had the resonances I was concerned about. I have sent the wood grilles back to Calico88, so he can listen for himself. There was still an issue with the ones I was sent, in that the airflow was too restricted IMO, which made them sound a little closed in. But with the treatment TheSatelliteGuy did plus a grille designed to have the same amount of airflow, then these should be able to be made to have no negative sonic impact, I believe,

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #83 of 102
I listened today to my LCD-2s with the grills removed and the sound improved with some noticeable subtlety.  This says to me that, any increased obstruction behind the drivers save the original acoustic material glued to the backside of the driver will potentially and likely negatively affect the sonics of the LCD-2.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #84 of 102

Quote:
I listened today to my LCD-2s with the grills removed and the sound improved with some noticeable subtlety.  This says to me that, any increased obstruction behind the drivers save the original acoustic material glued to the backside of the driver will potentially and likely negatively affect the sonics of the LCD-2.

That means you removed the felt just behind the grilles too, no? In that case you changed two things.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #85 of 102

Quote:

I noticed in Skylab's picture of his LCD-2 they have the R and L on the grilles and mine don't.  I suppose this might be the reason why they decided to cut that metal back to improve the sound quality.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #87 of 102
Mar 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #89 of 102

Users who are viewing this thread

Back