lcd-2 weight
Mar 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 32
The HD800's are incredibly light & comfortable.

I wish I could demo a pair of those. I used to own hd598s. I know they are kind of far off, but senns do feel nice.

Edit: I remember them being being pretty tough to drive as well. Even harder than the LCD-2s which I actually found aren't so bad. Maybe I'm wrong. It's been a while since I've owned the 598s

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #17 of 32

I wish I could demo a pair of those. I used to own hd598s. I know they are kind of far off, but senns do feel nice.

Just buy 'em and return 'em if you don't like 'em
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #18 of 32

The HD800s are one of the most oddly comfortable headphones I've ever experienced. They don't even feel like headphones somehow. They actually remind me of wrestling headgear in that they're not the ears so much as just wrapped around your head, but they also sound incredible.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 32
The HD800s are one of the most oddly comfortable headphones I've ever experienced. They don't even feel like headphones somehow. They actually remind me of wrestling headgear in that they're not the ears so much as just wrapped around your head, but they also sound incredible.

Now that I think about it, I remember the 598s sounding extremely relaxed even when the gain was cranked on the piano. I wonder if the hd800s would do the same. Then again, I see the hd800s are super detailed which would be nice when dialing in piano sounds (resonance in the cabinet and strings, hammer noise etc.)

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 32
My favorite headphones are the HD800, and the HD800 is more comfy than Grado's.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 32
Headphones often have a different feel to them. Like the M100s, despite being "over ear", really do feel like they're sitting on the ear. The pad wraps around, but your ear is right against the driver. The LCD2s are a headphone that feels like a huge cabinet in which your ear is situated. The Denon D7100s and Shure SRH1540s have this kinda feel as well. The HD800s have such gigantic earpieces it's like wearing a helmet that makes sound. I can honestly say that no headphone I've tried has been able to match just how much I enjoyed having them on. Even with no music. Never run into that before. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #23 of 32
Headphones often have a different feel to them. Like the M100s, despite being "over ear", really do feel like they're sitting on the ear. The pad wraps around, but your ear is right against the driver. The LCD2s are a headphone that feels like a huge cabinet in which your ear is situated. The Denon D7100s and Shure SRH1540s have this kinda feel as well. The HD800s have such gigantic earpieces it's like wearing a helmet that makes sound. I can honestly say that no headphone I've tried has been able to match just how much I enjoyed having them on. Even with no music. Never run into that before. 

Suppose I should give them a shot. Comfort is very important for me. I practice with headphones, watch movies with headphones and listen to music with them. My speakers have been collecting dust since the girl was born. She's collicky, so her sleep is important.

For the record, we go to the cafe, the lady likes her quiet time to read her stuff, so I give it to her and enjoy mine while the baby sleeps. I'm not a total ****** lol. And why would I care if people can hear my music?? My music is easily the best... Ha jk.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #24 of 32
The weight of the LCD 2 was one of the reasons I sold mine. I like to lie down or lean back comfortably when I listen to music. The LCDs never stayed where they should. 
I had HD 650 before and have HD 800 now. No issue like that with them.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #25 of 32

Edit: I remember them being being pretty tough to drive as well. Even harder than the LCD-2s which I actually found aren't so bad. Maybe I'm wrong. It's been a while since I've owned the 598s

Careful. The HD800's signature is not for everyone. I've still never felt any of the planar types were uncomfortable, including the god awful Hifiman's with 
them headbands..atrocious and yet livable. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #26 of 32
The weight of the LCD 2 was one of the reasons I sold mine. I like to lie down or lean back comfortably when I listen to music. The LCDs never stayed where they should. 
I had HD 650 before and have HD 800 now. No issue like that with them.

My exact situation, plus didn't find them that much different/better than hd650. HD800 on the other hand is a significant step up from both.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #27 of 32
My exact situation, plus didn't find them that much different/better than hd650. HD800 on the other hand is a significant step up from both.

Indeed, exactly  what I think. Compared to the HD 650, I was also disappointed with the LCD-2 performance. The HD 800 is the only headphone that I listened to, where the differences to what I was accustomed to were beyond minute. Maybe with the exception of the Orpheus. Even 20 years later, that one is still a different league.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #28 of 32
My budget isn't allowing for that extra $500 unfortunately. It seems the hd800 and Gs1000is have very similar sound descriptions (hyper detailed) with the hd800s having the obvious edge. I loved my rs2is. I understand the Grado line is only for a select few, but for playing the piano, they were outrageously good. Why didn't I keep them? I traded them as soon as the lcd2s came in. I would buy another set of rs2s, but why not try something new? Naturally, I chose it's older brother. I just hope they aren't as bright as those 325is! Those are a vicious monster.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #29 of 32
To be honest the weight doesn't bug me at all, I've worn them for 16+ hours before at my PC gaming with friends, never seemed to bug me.

Maybe I have a really strong neck or something, not sure.

I went from AD900X's to HE-500 to LCD-2's, and it never really seemed to bug me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back