LCD-2 vs. HE-5LE
Feb 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #16 of 27

Kinda what I was getting at. The HE-6s (from all accounts I've heard) are a step up from the HE-5LEs. But then the LCD-2s are be considered on par with the HE-6s (which I am sure you and Skylab would agree....and in fact slightly prefer the LCD-2s...please correct me if I am wrong). So, the logic would support that the LCD-2s are better than the HE-5LEs.
smile.gif

I believe both you and I were LCD-2 skeptics too and thought the owners were drinking from the Audeze Kool-aid too. But then we bought them and found out that no Kool-Aid was needed. They were simply outstanding headphones (and IMO, the best I've heard to date). Oh...and we want Roy back!
tongue.gif

Of course for others YMMV.

I will say this the LCD2 is not a little better than the HE5LE but a major step up. In a league of their own are both the LCD2 and HE6. I love both and really enjoy both equally. I have not determined as any one better just different and both are the top tier IMO. Everything else that I have heard simply cannot compete as well. I believe its my preference for planar sound. Transparency to me is the most important thing I look for whether it is a speaker or a headphone and the planar get me all the way there. Enoug for long term satisfaction Both outstanding and yes both are better than the 5LE

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 27
Well, my HE5-LEs have seemed to edge out most of my cans lately in overall time spent on the noggin.  I find these cans to be incredible with my setup; transparent, open, fantastic imaging...the whole nine!  I opted to get the LEs because I was concerned that I would not be able to drive the HE-6s correctly, and I have thoroughly enjoyed them ever since.

That said, I hope to have my number come up soon on the Audeze waiting list, so I will try to post impressions between both when the LCDs finally arrive.

In the meantime I just have to plug my ears when I hear how much better the 6s are than the 5s.  D'oh!!!

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #18 of 27
I had the chance to listen to both the LCD-2 and the HE-6's (didn't get to hear the HE-5's unfortunately) at the recent Bay Area meet.  Both were great sounding headphones, but I preferred the LCD-2 on my Audio-GD Phoenix.  I preferred the treble and bass of the LCD's, especially when playing vinyl on my rig.  To my ears the LCD-2 is a very smooth and natural sounding can, and the ortho's just nail the transients of drums (goes for the HE-6's too).  I was amazed how much more power was required by the HE-6's (I had to almost double the output on my amp).  If you have a nice tube or laid back amp, you may find the HE's to be a great pairing.

In the end I would have put myself on the waiting list for the LCD-2's right after the meet, if it weren't for the fact that I bought some K1000's instead...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 27

Quote:
I've heard the HE-5LE's are much harder to drive than the LCD-2. Anyone know approximately how much harder?

I own the HE-5LE's and they reach comfortable listening volume at between 9:00 and 11:00 on my FiiO E9. My friend has a Woo Audio 3 with upgraded tubes that I have yet to try it on but with the E9 it is easy to drive. I am unsure of how this may compare to other amps, but the E9 is only $129, so I figure a suitably expensive and powerful amp will have no trouble. At 12:00 on the E9, my head begins to rattle sufficiently.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
I own the HE-5LE's and they reach comfortable listening volume at between 9:00 and 11:00 on my FiiO E9. My friend has a Woo Audio 3 with upgraded tubes that I have yet to try it on but with the E9 it is easy to drive. I am unsure of how this may compare to other amps, but the E9 is only $129, so I figure a suitably expensive and powerful amp will have no trouble. At 12:00 on the E9, my head begins to rattle sufficiently.

After trying, here is a key piece of information: tube amps are a whole different ballgame with planar magnetics. His rather expensive Woo 3 with upgraded tubes and a very nice DAC were quiet at 12:00 and any further started to just clip and get muddy and at full were a comfortable listening volume. Because the E9 is a solid state amp it doesn't suffer from the same issues, so if you are worried about the HE-5LE I would be sure to try a SS before a tube unless you have a chance to audition the tube to make sure it doesn't distort. The E9/E7 combo sounds perfectly fine with my 5LE's, and while I may upgrade the cables and maybe the amp/dac combo later I am perfectly content for now. The E9 is a nice match.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 27
I have heard neither of these, but I get the impression you're under a dilemma. I believe your mind wants something, but your heart wants another. In the end are you going to make the logical decision, or are you too passionate about this hobby?

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
I have heard neither of these, but I get the impression you're under a dilemma. I believe your mind wants something, but your heart wants another. In the end are you going to make the logical decision, or are you too passionate about this hobby?

Well is it so illogical to follow the passions of the heart? I hope not, at least when it comes to music, of all things!

-Daniel

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 27
With my Fitz-upgraded (hybrid) Bada PH-12, the LCD-2 were dialed to about 9:30 or 10:00 o'clock; the HE-5LE to about 1:30 or 2:00, depending on source.

FWIW, I preferred the HE-5LE to the LCD-2/Rev. 2.  For me the former are superior tonally, convey a better sense of three dimensional realism, and provide a more coherent and musically engaging listening experience.  The Audeze sounded rather flat, dry, slightly distant and clinical to me by comparison.     

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #24 of 27
As a long HIfiman fan, i recently aquired a pair of LCD2. Have to admit, the LCD2 is better than my long loved HE5LE, sound is hard. More silky highs with better resolution and hit bass very very hard, very deep. HE5LE is much sharper than all Dynimcs I ever tried including HD800, but seems melo to LCD2. Now, I wonder how LCD3 sounds! 

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #25 of 27
  With my Fitz-upgraded (hybrid) Bada PH-12, the LCD-2 were dialed to about 9:30 or 10:00 o'clock; the HE-5LE to about 1:30 or 2:00, depending on source.

FWIW, I preferred the HE-5LE to the LCD-2/Rev. 2.  For me the former are superior tonally, convey a better sense of three dimensional realism, and provide a more coherent and musically engaging listening experience.  The Audeze sounded rather flat, dry, slightly distant and clinical to me by comparison.     

+1

Yesterday I try EF6/HE-6 and EF6/LCD2.2. After 3 hours of listening I can say the same: Hifimans are superior tonally. HE-6 are the best orthos which I've ever heard. This week I'll try the LCD3. I hope that could be better than lcd2.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #26 of 27
  +1

Yesterday I try EF6/HE-6 and EF6/LCD2.2. After 3 hours of listening I can say the same: Hifimans are superior tonally. HE-6 are the best orthos which I've ever heard. This week I'll try the LCD3. I hope that could be better than lcd2.

thanks for this! considering all of these

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #27 of 27
I've been using the HE5LE for some time in a balanced setup (Mjolnir) with fantastic results. But I couldn't help myself and today I bought an LCD2.2 as well :wink: Will let you know how they compare - if anyone's still interested. The LCD balanced cable should arrive in a couple of days.
So far I tried plugging both cans into a portable Fiio E12 just for the sake of experiment. Even now the differences are obvious. The HE5LE are aggressive, airy, bright, detailed and with a strong treble, sometimes bordering on sibilance. This is even more pronounced on a weak amp. The LCD's are warm and smooth, 'analog' sounding, with more prominent bass and sweet, beautiful midrange, however after reading all those reviews I was surprised to hear that the treble is also strongly present - I was expecting something more like HD650 and I'm very pleasantly surprised! The soundstage is different on both cans - LCD sounds less spacious but more 'layered', it's rather difficult to explain. The Audeze are MUCH more comfortable. 
For now I seem to like the LCD 2 a bit more, but maybe it's the novelty factor. I can't imagine selling any of those two! Will see how they compare on a proper amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back