LCD-2 VS D7000
May 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

songlove

New Head-Fier
I have D7000 and new purchased LCD-2, my setup is

Macpro+Pure music->Ayre QB-9->X-CAN V8->LCD-2/D7000.

D7000 is one year old, and LCD-2 is about 6 days use.

I do not know if my amp is not good for LCD-2.
My impression for LCD-2 is not that good.
And yes, LCD-2 is more natural sound, but compared with D7000, it is darker, less airy, less dynamic.

Does anyone owning these two pairs have the same impression?

Or I need more powerful amp to get LCD-2 sing.

May 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 12
I've had the LCD-2 for about ten days.  Got about a hundred hours on it.  Still waiting for the top to open up.  Maybe it won't.  I'm considering the D7000, GS-1000i or one of the Hifiman jobbies as a replacement.  We'll see.

May 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 12
LCD-2 doesn't really need burn-in time or anything, from my experience.  It's very sensitive to source and amp, however, and is not what I would consider a bright headphone through most systems.  The sound sig is also very different, so it can sound bloated or veiled or busy, depending on the rig.  It took me a while to get used to, but I haven't heard anything really that has made me want to get rid of them.

May 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 12
The LCD-2's took some time to adjust to for me... at first, I had similar impressions as you, OP - that they were a little dark and not very airy. I'd give them a little time - nothing sounds as natural to me now that my ears have gotten used to the LCD-2s (I was coming from brighter headphones) - eventually, they have just started to sound "right" for me. When I really let myself get absorbed in the sound, I can hear deep into a recording, with all the air and all the treble I would want, and just an incredible, natural ease.

May 6, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 12
I have D7000 and new purchased LCD-2, my setup is

Macpro+Pure music->Ayre QB-9->X-CAN V8->LCD-2/D7000.

D7000 is one year old, and LCD-2 is about 6 days use.

I do not know if my amp is not good for LCD-2.
My impression for LCD-2 is not that good.
And yes, LCD-2 is more natural sound, but compared with D7000, it is darker, less airy, less dynamic.

Does anyone owning these two pairs have the same impression?

Or I need more powerful amp to get LCD-2 sing.

The powering requirements of both headphones are very different. What amp are you using?

Maybe you just prefer the more coloured sounding D7000s?

May 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
LCD-2 doesn't really need burn-in time or anything, from my experience.  It's very sensitive to source and amp, 

True.
You have to choose the right amp for them. After 100 hours of burn-in you'll notice improvement on the sound sig. 

May 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Thank you, guys.

Looks I need time to learn the LCD-2 sound sig then.

The amp is MF X-CAN V8, it is discontinued now, so maybe not every one know it, but it is very famous several years before and very good amp for D7000.

May 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 12
Thank you, guys.

The amp is MF X-CAN V8, it is discontinued now, so maybe not every one know it, but it is very famous several years before and very good amp for D7000.

Ideally, you're going to need an amp that puts about 2 W into 50 ohms (at least) to get the most from your LCD-2s. The Schiit Lyr is a phenomenal amp with either the LCD-2 or HE-6.s

May 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 12
The X-Can was a pretty well-respected HPA back in its day, I wouldn't write it off instead of just giving yourself a week or so to adjust to the LCD-2 sound

May 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, guys.

Ideally, you're going to need an amp that puts about 2 W into 50 ohms (at least) to get the most from your LCD-2s. The Schiit Lyr is a phenomenal amp with either the LCD-2 or HE-6.s

OK, I think you have both LCD-2 and He-6, with Lyr, what do you think LCD-2 and HE-6?

May 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 12
OK, I think you have both LCD-2 and He-6, with Lyr, what do you think LCD-2 and HE-6?

Both are amazing headphones and I enjoy them both. I prefer the LCD-2's real to life and "earthy" presentation, but the more airy HE-6s are tough to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back