LCD-2 Owners, SR-71B or 2STEPDANCE??
Sep 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #16 of 27
The only regret in this set up is that you are not using through balance input/output throughout.  If I were you, Jump over to Mong Kok to Jaben HK and try to put the DB2 in the midst and see if the sound is improved.  If it is better, you can always add the DB2 to get the full balance output for the SR71b.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #17 of 27
I went to buy the SR71B from DMA today and then went to Jaben and actually saw and asked about the DB2. But the balanced output of DB2 is weird, it is a round shaped terminal with six pins. And Jaben wasn't selling a connector cable from the DB2 to the SR71B so I had to give up. Any idea where I can get such a cable?

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 27
i bought the sr71b for my lcd-2's because of skylab.  as many of you know he has reviewed nearly every portable amp in existance, and for his "final" portable review, he did a three way - stepdance, 71B and the new L3.. 

to sum it up his conclusion was that in balanced out mode, even when being fed from an ipod lod, the 71b was the best. 

that was enough for me, and i'm very happy with my decision.  the difference going from single end out to balanced out was actually more dramatic than i expected.. its certainly not in the category of say, cables, where some would argue its all in your head.. this was an easily noticable improvement..

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 27

Quote:
I went to buy the SR71B from DMA today and then went to Jaben and actually saw and asked about the DB2. But the balanced output of DB2 is weird, it is a round shaped terminal with six pins. And Jaben wasn't selling a connector cable from the DB2 to the SR71B so I had to give up. Any idea where I can get such a cable?

Li, Jaben may not have the DB2 connector even though I bought DB2 to PB2 adaptor from them.  You could go straight to Mouser.com and order a DB2 connector (and RSA connector also) from them and take it to Jaben, They will be happy to make an interconnect for you.  The RSA connector costs only three bucks and the DB2 connector cost about 12 bucks.  Second option is to order the DB2 to RSA adaptor from Moon Audio or ALO or Whiplash.  I got mine from Moon for about $80.00.
Br777 is right, the full balance sound quite a bit better than the single input into the SR71b.  Even though you tried to use a balance adaptor from CLAS to SR71b.  It is still single ended.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 27
Thanks Jalo. Apart from the balanced interconnect, do you know where can I get a really short digital cable to connect the CLAS/Fostex and DB2? The only thing I am worried about this combo is the extra jitter in the digital chain when one more brick is added. Is the DAC chip in the DB2 comparable to or better than the one in Fostex or CLAS? I certainly hope someone would eventually come up with an iStuff DAC which has balanced out.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
Thanks Jalo. Apart from the balanced interconnect, do you know where can I get a really short digital cable to connect the CLAS/Fostex and DB2? The only thing I am worried about this combo is the extra jitter in the digital chain when one more brick is added. Is the DAC chip in the DB2 comparable to or better than the one in Fostex or CLAS? I certainly hope someone would eventually come up with an iStuff DAC which has balanced out.

First of all, I think RSA will be coming out with their portable balance DAC that has the exact same dimension as the SR71b in hopefully 3 to 4 months.  I talked with Ray couple of days ago and that is what I was told.  Ray always makes top of the line stuffs so I have high hope about that Dac.  Besides it will fit very well with the SR71b.

Second, like you, I have been looking for a tiny coax to coax digit cable to use between CLAS and DB2.  It doesn't exsist so I finally have one custom made for me.  I am in the process of having Kimber cable to custom make me an additional one.  I was also told that Scootermafia from Double Helix Cable can custom make that for you if you like.  Cost is around $100.00.  These interconnects usually run about six inches long.  

Third, as for the Dac chip.  The CLAS and DB2 both use the Wolfson reference level chip.  The DB2 uses dual 8740 and the CLAS is hidden but I guess is should be either 8740 or 8741.  The Fostex uses the AKM AK4480.  In fact, the DAC section of

CLAS and the DB2 are very similar because they both use the Wolfson's reference level chip.  Both have a nice warmer character. The

reason I use the DB1/2 is because of their ability to output balance signal to the SR71b.  I believe the DAC sections between the Fostex and

the CLAS are very close as least according to Jude.  I believe the DB2 as a Dac has a slight edge when compare to the DAC section of the

CLAS and Fostex.  Hopes that help.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
i bought the sr71b for my lcd-2's because of skylab.  as many of you know he has reviewed nearly every portable amp in existance, and for his "final" portable review, he did a three way - stepdance, 71B and the new L3.. 

to sum it up his conclusion was that in balanced out mode, even when being fed from an ipod lod, the 71b was the best. 

that was enough for me, and i'm very happy with my decision.  the difference going from single end out to balanced out was actually more dramatic than i expected.. its certainly not in the category of say, cables, where some would argue its all in your head.. this was an easily noticable improvement..

pics pics pics! :)

Did I mention pics please ? :p

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #23 of 27
@jalo - Would you know if the RSA balanced dac would be able to receive digital signal straight from iDevices like the CLAS and HP-P1?

TIA

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #24 of 27
The answer is of course I don't know.  But it is 99.99999 no.  

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 27
^ the ipod goes in my pocket, and the bag was free, and is clearly too big for the amp,and by no means ideal, but it does the job.  Considering this rig has never, and probably will never leave the house, and barely even leaves my office, its not really a concern..  the only reason i dont just leave the whole thing on my desk is so that i can occasionally move around the house.. like use the bathroom, or scoot away from my desk to put something in the closet without accidentally pulling the amp onto the floor or removing the headphones.

the amp iteslf is actually pretty small and light.  not bad at all considering what its capable of.

the ultra light ultra flexible cable also makes the whole ordeal much more tolerable.

of course i'll be adding your CLAS to the mix soon.. hopefully i can still stuff it into that bag :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back