LCD-2 Owners, SR-71B or 2STEPDANCE??
Aug 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Swatcsi

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these amps, which one is better suited for LCD-2, HD650 and SRH840 and is the extra price worth it for the SR-71B?

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 27
bump

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 27
There is a lot of this floating around in various threads but to answer what I can, I do know that the SR-71b does very well with the LCD-2 and HD650. Not sure about theother though.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 27
Can anyone tell me if the 2stepdance will help in the low end my shure srh840 could really use the boost in bass, thanks.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 27

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 27
Can't anyone help with my previous post? 
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 27
so... does anyone know if the stepdance/2stepdance will help the low end in my srh840's

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 27
Hi 

I have own Stepdance 1 and Rs 71 b

For single ended Use Stepdance is better than my Rs 71 B

Stepdance 1 can drive all round Headphone very easy

I have headphones : LCD2 Rev2 ( I have ownesd Rev1 as well ), HD 800, T 1 and Hd 650, SRH 940 ( SRH 840 owned )

Stepdance can drove very easy and sound very good : LCD 2 Rev 1 and Rev 2, SRH 840 you can get the best BASS impact 

If you like the single ended, Please buy Stepdance 1, now is Stepdance 2

Frankly speaking i have not heard Stepdance 2 yet, Meier Corda wrote email to me, there is no sound different 

between Stepdance 1 and 2, he asid no need to upgrade.

Minus Point from Stepdance : ONLY POWER HUNGRY, THE BATTERY CAN LEFT ONLY 6 HOURS MAX

I bought ENERGEZIR XP 8000 for Home use

I hope can help you to make decision

cheers 

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 27
How loud are you listening ?

If the volume is pretty low you don't really need an amp, better to invest in DAC than an amp.
I have sr71b and my friend PB2, to my ears absolutely no differences.

However, using lcd2 with balanced out is quiet a different experience.

If I were you I will get PB2 with a nice DAC instead of SR71b.  But if you can afford then go for SR71b. :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 27
I own the SR71B and PB2 and listened to the Stepdance2.  I always like the balance sound, so I prefer PB2 and SR71b over stepdance2.  If you want to stick with SE, Stepdance2 is a good choice even though I hate to mess with the additional power supply.  If you want to try better sound as in balance, then choose between PB2 and Sr71b.

Pros and Cons for Sr71b:

Pros: great sound, great build quality, independent L/R Volume control, easily accessible 3 independent L/R gain switches, more power than the PB2, better bass range than the PB2, better sound stage (slightly more open) than the Pb2, US made, I like the thinner/shorter form factor than the PB2.
Cons: expensive, Pb2 seems to have a slight edge in the Mid range.

Pros and Cons for PB2:

Pros:  Much cheaper than the SR71b, you can change sound character by changing opamps, better mid than the SR71b, have matching balance DAC DB2 in form factor.
Cons:  have to open the case to change gain level, very inconvenient, form factor is larger than the SR71b, if service is needed you have to send it to China, not as powerful as the SR71b but should be able to drive most demanding phones, bass is there but not as strong as the SR71b.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 27

Pros:  Much cheaper than the SR71b, you can change sound character by changing opamps, better mid than the SR71b, have matching balance DAC DB2 in form factor.
Cons:  have to open the case to change gain level, very inconvenient, form factor is larger than the SR71b, if service is needed you have to send it to China, not as powerful as the SR71b but should be able to drive most demanding phones, bass is there but not as strong as the SR71b.

PB2 has higher wattage than SR71b....not by much but it is higher

PB2 is the strongest portable amp IIRC...

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
PB2 has higher wattage than SR71b....not by much but it is higher

PB2 is the strongest portable amp IIRC...

Yes, I know the PB2 has 2.6 wpc and yes that is the highest portable amp in terms of power output.  In fact, that is what draw me to buy the PB2.  However, I do not know the equivalent on the SR71b.  But this much I do know, I open up the PB2 and set the power setting to the highest gain setting, and I hook up the PB2 to my LCD/HD800 and I can turn the volume pot on the PB2 to the max without too much discomfort.  But I cannot do it with SR71b.  With SR71b on high gain, I may be able to turn the volume pot to about 2:00 o'clock postion.  That is why I made the above statement that I am very surprise that I can turn the volume to the max on the PB2.  I still don't understand why it is so. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 27
Swatcsi, I have pm'd you to see if you want to meet up and listen to my Stepdance/CLAS/Classic/LCD2 set up if you are in my area of Canada!

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 27
Maybe the SR71b has higher mW per channel at those particular impedances? The PB2 max output is rated at 32ohms. Just a guess, but it might have less output at the higher impedances of LCD2 or HD800. Maybe the SR71b is more adaptive into increased load? I am not an amp builder so my knowledge is rudimentary at best 
redface.gif

Quote:
Yes, I know the PB2 has 2.6 wpc and yes that is the highest portable amp in terms of power output.  In fact, that is what draw me to buy the PB2.  However, I do not know the equivalent on the SR71b.  But this much I do know, I open up the PB2 and set the power setting to the highest gain setting, and I hook up the PB2 to my LCD/HD800 and I can turn the volume pot on the PB2 to the max without too much discomfort.  But I cannot do it with SR71b.  With SR71b on high gain, I may be able to turn the volume pot to about 2:00 o'clock postion.  That is why I made the above statement that I am very surprise that I can turn the volume to the max on the PB2.  I still don't understand why it is so. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 27
I have the Stepdance 1 and the SR71A and I bought this today, because I actually liked the sound of the SR71A for my LCD2 more.

Much more polished and beautiful than the SR71A - unfortunately it is currently connected to a pair of iBuds via a balanced-3.5mm connector - just for the burn in. :)  I don't want to connect any of my ES5, UE18 Pro, T5p, ED10 or LCD2 to play the burn in tracks 24 hours non-stop.

I have just ordered the LCD2 cable for SR71B from ALO. But currently I am just using the 3.5mm -> Balanced connector, and another 3.5mm to large single ended jack -using the balanced out of the SR71B - in this case would the balanced point be defeated or will it still sound better than the 3.5mm out? It won't matter when the LCD2 cable comes but am curious how many percent I am getting from the SR71B at the moment.

My ultimate LCD2 combo has been set up - iPhone4 / iPad2 -> CLAS/Fostex HP-P1 -> ALO 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable -> 3.5mm to SR71B Balanced input connector -> SR71B -> ALO 22awg SR71B cable for LCD2 -> LCD2.

I am not sure if this is as far as a portable headphone combo can get, but if not I suspect it is pretty close...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back