LCD-2 Bass
Jul 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

JmanOfIsrael

100+ Head-Fier
Could someone describe the bass on the LCD-2 for me. I've heard them before but I wasn't able to listen to much. I'd like to compare the bass of the LCD-2 to the Denon AH D5000. Will the LCD-2 still have the same "rumble" effect if I watch movies with large explosions and what not? In what ways will the LCD-2s be better (bass and other musical aspects)?

Thanks a ton!

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 39
LCD 2 bass is probably the best bass I have heard so far. I only can compare to a PRO 900 and LCD 2 is advantegous in every aspect of bass except the quantity. LCD 2 bass has so much detailed, low, tight, fast and punchy. They pretty much replaced my PRO 900.. :p

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:
LCD 2 bass is probably the best bass I have heard so far. I only can compare to a PRO 900 and LCD 2 is advantegous in every aspect of bass except the quantity. LCD 2 bass has so much detailed, low, tight, fast and punchy. They pretty much replaced my PRO 900.. :p

agree but, the rumble... makes the pro900 very enjoyable when it come to watching movies. :)

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 39
Hhmmm...so the lcd2 bass is as good on impact as the d5k. If so, then I'd like to own it. Unfortunately, I've had another tell me that the bass on the lcd is somewhat of a myth. He owns them and is trying to sell them. He credits their marketing department. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 39
He said it had lots of quantity and quality with plenty of impact coming from the D5000, but he did have a burson amp.  Ironically enough he's selling them off because there wasn't enough treble for him.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611521/someone-like-you-denon-ah-d5000#post_8491114

I can see that, even in some cases my HE-400 has just as much bass impact as my D2000, especially when played at louder volumes.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:
Hhmmm...so the lcd2 bass is as good on impact as the d5k. If so, then I'd like to own it. Unfortunately, I've had another tell me that the bass on the lcd is somewhat of a myth. He owns them and is trying to sell them. He credits their marketing department. 

I owned an LA2000 and I think the LA2000 had more bass than the LCD2.  If I listened more to rap and dub I probably still own the LA2000.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:
He said it had lots of quantity and quality with plenty of impact coming from the D5000, but he did have a burson amp.  Ironically enough he's selling them off because there wasn't enough treble for him.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611521/someone-like-you-denon-ah-d5000#post_8491114

I can see that, even in some cases my HE-400 has just as much bass impact as my D2000, especially when played at louder volumes.

Wrong person...I was talking about CHS. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Wrong person...I was talking about CHS. 

Yes I know, I was talking about my person. 
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 39
I've been reading a lot of threads. There are tons of people that say that the LCD-2 isn't the best upgrade from the Denon D5000. Everyone claims that the 5000 has a unique sound that isn't replicated by another HP. I guess the LCD-2 doesn't have the same rumbling, warm bass the 5000 can achieve. Furthermore the LCD-2 has a rolled off treble (unless you amp the crap out of it to extend to 50 kHz but even then...) whereas the 5000s mids aren't recessed (from what I've noticed after 50-some hrs) and great highs. I'm starting to realize maybe the LCD-2 isn't the godly replacement of the 5000 (in my case and IMO). I mean, I freaken love the 5000 bass; it is tight and controlled yet present in so many genres including classic rock that my other HP seem to ignore bass-wise (even my XB 500s which only boom when I listen to house, electronica, rap, etc). Thoughts? 

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 39
I think that you may be right, although I still have not heard the lcd2 r2. The d5k is an absolute beast IMO and one of my two go to hp's. I grabbed them up when they got to $385 shipped from EE and it's one of the best buys that I've made. Love 'em!!

Listening to a bit of Ministry of Sound-track#4. These denon's are hittin' the bass hard...impact with texture and control. Nothing sloppy here.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:
I've been reading a lot of threads. There are tons of people that say that the LCD-2 isn't the best upgrade from the Denon D5000. Everyone claims that the 5000 has a unique sound that isn't replicated by another HP. I guess the LCD-2 doesn't have the same rumbling, warm bass the 5000 can achieve. Furthermore the LCD-2 has a rolled off treble (unless you amp the crap out of it to extend to 50 kHz but even then...) whereas the 5000s mids aren't recessed (from what I've noticed after 50-some hrs) and great highs. I'm starting to realize maybe the LCD-2 isn't the godly replacement of the 5000 (in my case and IMO). I mean, I freaken love the 5000 bass; it is tight and controlled yet present in so many genres including classic rock that my other HP seem to ignore bass-wise (even my XB 500s which only boom when I listen to house, electronica, rap, etc). Thoughts? 

You might have a different taste in bass, if you find the Denons to be very tight, and even the XB500 to be controlled.  There also might be some amping issues with some of the people who negatively remarked on the LCD bass, but I have not read said threads.

As for low rumble, many people say the LCD2s hit the region around 20hz the best, but I wouldn't be so sure unless I tried them for myself-- the graphs certainly seem to back it up, though.  Many movies have lfe far below 20hz.  Take the one scene in War of the Worlds where the tripods emerge from the ground, it's a constant 10hz rumble that only the best subs could hope to recreate faithfully.  For scenes like that, I don't think any headphone could give you adequate air movement.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 39
I don't find the xb500 to be controlled at all. Just not for me as it is all bass over the rest of the spectrum. Let me dig up that post about the lcd bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back