LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Feb 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #2,071 of 2,398
Just received the Norse Norn 8-wire for my LCD-3 from Trevor today. First off, Trevor is a GREAT guy to deal with and promptly answers all questions with good, unbiased advise and recommendation.

Packaging of the cables is first rate. Extremely well packaged, with an extra layer of protection on all connectors. Even the beautiful zebra wood splitter was wrapped in some sort of velvet material to protect it during shipping. Then there is the soft velvet bag to store the cables in.

I'm also very impressed with the workmanship of the Norse cables. They are very, very well made and everything just screams quality. The braids are tight and the chosen brown/black cotton sleeving looks gorgeous with my LCD-3. They are also very flexible, light and ergonomic, definitely a huge step up from the stock audeze cables which were too stiff for my liking. The Norse cables just don't get in the way. I'll let the cables burn-in before I post any impressions, but first impressions (based on looks) is a huge plus for me. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,072 of 2,398
OHHHHHHH...
L3000.gif

Just got my Q in! I only listened a little bit and it hasn't burnt in but I hear a little change. Subtle is the word. I don't hear any bass, treble changes. More so, I hear a slightly bigger sound-stage and a veil has been lifted for a little more clarity. As of now, it's not night and day. I could still listen to the stock cord but it's inferior and don't want to.

I put some Lady Gaga singles on and could hear a little change for the better but it was subtle and hard to make sure it's what I was hearing. I put Lily Allen's Smile and right away could hear the sound-stage and clarity improve a little. I then put on Abbey Road (24-bit). Something, Maxwell's Silver Hammer...again, subtle. THEN, I put on Come Together and I could hear the Q was better. It was really the clarity. Again, little, but it was better. I then put on Come Together in normal 16-bit and again, you could hear the Q was better. That's what happens when you buy aftermarket cord/cables and such after you spend a lot on the main gear. The price is lower as are the improvements but they are there.

The colors look even better than in the pictures. I had chosen Gold/Black and got a sample. I really liked it but didn't think it suited the LCD-2 so much. I thought it had a Asian sorta look. Steve showed me a cable he made with a Brown and Gold retro look and I modeled it after that. BOY DOES IT LOOK GOOD! It makes ME feel classy. 
dt880smile.png

It is much more comfortable than the stock. It's so light and actually feels nice against the skin unlike the stock cable. It is also easier to disconnect it from the LCD-2 over the stock. I was going to compare the Q and the Silver Moon V3. I have the money but will get something that is less comfortable and looks boring. I am not sure what silver will do for me. I DON'T want it any brighter. I really like the way it sounds now. It's on the table, anyway...

As for pictures, because I've been putting my money in other places and lack of time, I haven't been able to pick a good camera out so I will just use Steve's pictures for now but I hope to get some pictures up at a later time. Steve, BTW, is very nice and fun to talk too. I learnt a lot about cables and him. I ordered and paid for a four foot from the Y split and he actually gave me 5'3" altogether. Almost as tall as me! He's cool...and a fast shipper! 
regular_smile .gif

This is the sample...

And he gave me this classic looking amp connecter just like his interconnects too. It looks so good with the retro colors. I think he's a genius. THANKS STEVE! 
wink_face.gif

Oh, and RIP Whitney Houston. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #2,073 of 2,398
Quote:
Are there any photographs of the cable. By "50 ohms impedance" does it mean there are 50 ohms resistors soldered as part of the plug, in other words an "impedance adapter" is part of the cable?

There's a picture of the red astrachan cable with LCD-2 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595545/can-session-at-stockholm-high-end-show-2012-impressions#post_8139887 (yep, the cable is white)

I don't know if there are any resistors in the (Neutrik) plug, but I don't think so. I think it's the cable itself that is 50 ohm, like an antenna cable.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,074 of 2,398
Has anyone tried the APS (A Pure Sound) cable for Audezes (LCD2 or LCD3)? Any impressions?
It does not seem that anyone has done so and mentioned it here. I used to like the APS cable a lot for my 650s and 600s long ago, that's why I ask.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #2,075 of 2,398
I would suggest you try Q audio cable by Steve Eddy. I have been using the cable and it's sound fantastic... best of all made its made with cotton sleeves and one of the lightest cable in the market today. This is especially important for LCD-2/3 as they already weight a ton. At times I forgot there is even a cable .. it just feels right.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #2,076 of 2,398
And to add balance I would suggest Toxic cables silver poison, I have had great results with that cable.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,078 of 2,398
I wonder if you read how many times the other ones get a mention, I think you would see it is a great deal more! I like the cable and want others to understand there is more than just two or three makers of cables. I think the others get mentioned way more than I mention this cable. I wonder why you don't pick up on them???

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #2,079 of 2,398

Quote:
I wonder if you read how many times the other ones get a mention, I think you would see it is a great deal more! I like the cable and want others to understand there is more than just two or three makers of cables. I think the others get mentioned way more than I mention this cable. I wonder why you don't pick up on them???

lol i dono because i dont like the other cables

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2,080 of 2,398

Quote:
lol if they read the actual thread they will see u have said that over 100 times...

It worked on me at least!
ianmedium> I'm thinking about ordering some toxic cables thanks to your toxico-viral scheme :D
Is the OCC silver/gold (150gbp) a very big improvement over the SPC copper/silver (75 gbp) cable?
If I read you correctly, the later did'nt improve the sound at all over the stock cable...

(I'm using: Yulong D-100>Heed Canamp>Lcd-2.2)

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,081 of 2,398
Does anyone have experience with Chris_Himself's cables? I love my Q cable, but I'm curious to try a silver one. His prices seem fantastic, and the cables look gorgeous.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2,082 of 2,398
I should have a toxic cable on teusday. Its the silver/gold one. I will see how it differs from the q cable.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2,083 of 2,398

Quote:
I should have a toxic cable on teusday. Its the silver/gold one. I will see how it differs from the q cable.

Looking forward to your comparison.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #2,084 of 2,398

It worked on me at least!
ianmedium> I'm thinking about ordering some toxic cables thanks to your toxico-viral scheme :D
Is the OCC silver/gold (150gbp) a very big improvement over the SPC copper/silver (75 gbp) cable?
If I read you correctly, the later did'nt improve the sound at all over the stock cable...

(I'm using: Yulong D-100>Heed Canamp>Lcd-2.2)

You know, Honestly I can't answer your question as the only cable i have from them is the silver poison. I liked the stock cable but I found the Silver Poison to allow more detail and transparency to come through but unlike the TWag V2 I borrowed at the same time it did not bring fatigue or edginess to the experience. For me, now I have had it for quite some time it just made all that I love about the LCD's shine more. I went back to try the stock cable and it does feel a little more closed in to my ears and perhaps the darkness some people have found with the rev1's can be attributed to the stock cable. I would not go back as I love what it has brought to the mid range in terms of detail and intimacy. Sorry I could not answer your question though.

One thing, If all other pure silver cables are like the TWag for my listening tastes I would not want them as it ruined the balance of the sound I felt.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #2,085 of 2,398
Thanks for your answer anyway. I guess I'll give the silver poison a try :)
I will assume that if the stock cable is already made of copper, it doesn't make much sense changing for another copper one for 75 gbp (judging by this comment, perhaps you can guess that I'm completely new to the hi-fi scene. Sorry if I'm being stupid!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back