LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Sep 19, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #1,186 of 2,398

Quote:
Sorry for the noob question but, in general, would it be best to use a thicker gauge particularly for balanced cables?

Not necessarily.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #1,187 of 2,398

Quote:
Wikipedia for the win - but I think the actual magnitude of the loss due to capacitance is pretty damn small.

If someone can post a formula/graph to show this relationship it might help as this is not my field. 

This not the sound science forum and the audible differences have not been measured objectively, so it's best to leave it at that.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #1,188 of 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

capacitance and inductance along with skin effect and a host of other things we haven't learned how to objectively measure yet, unless of course, we're all deluded.  
wink_face.gif

Naah, we're just human is all.

se

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #1,189 of 2,398
Why not talk about what colour our undergarments are if we don't want to talk about specifics 
biggrin.gif

I'm not saying capacitance isn't important (although some cable manufacturers claim this) just that we may as well be specific if we are going to talk about relevant theories.

Admittedly low capacitance is one of the byproducts of a thinner wire with a cotton dielectric but in the end it is still an electrical property just like resistance and inductance which has an alleged effect on an electrical signal.

In either case I am not qualified to comment from an theoretical standpoint, and even if I was a-priori theories are all to often undone in application.

One of the classic examples of this is Engineers For 911 Truth where some engineers did some back of envelope calculations about the time taken for the towers to collapse, found the video doesn't match therefore think something is amiss.

IMHO it would just be interesting to look at these metrics given the impressions people have of the sound.

I think its alright to talk about theory outside science forum as long as nobody insists on certain methodologies and as long as it doesn't become the core of the discussion, which maybe is in danger of happening...

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #1,190 of 2,398
So, resistance, inductance and capacitance don't actually effect electrical signals?

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #1,191 of 2,398
lol nah just saying that back of envelope calculations can be useful BUT should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,192 of 2,398

Quote:
So, resistance, inductance and capacitance don't actually effect electrical signals?

All I said was we haven't learned to correlate actual measurements to actual observed sound.  Objective measurement with subjective observation.  I never said it couldn't be done.  Then there's the matter of scale, and of complex interaction with that which is being measured, and the interaction of he driver being driven with the amp driving it.  And so it goes on...  I would love to pursue this under the right circumstances, but not in this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572418/correlation-between-objective-measurement-and-subjective-observation-of-cable-differences#post_7765479

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #1,194 of 2,398
Great link!  Thanks!

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #1,195 of 2,398
Quote:
All I said was we haven't learned to correlate actual measurements to actual observed sound.  Objective measurement with subjective observation.  I never said it couldn't be done.  Then there's the matter of scale, and of complex interaction with that which is being measured, and the interaction of he driver being driven with the amp driving it.  And so it goes on...  I would love to pursue this under the right circumstances, but not in this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572418/correlation-between-objective-measurement-and-subjective-observation-of-cable-differences#post_7765479

Kevin, my response was in response to Drez's remark, see below I've taken the excerpt of the section with which I had a question.

Quote:

Admittedly low capacitance is one of the byproducts of a thinner wire with a cotton dielectric but in the end it is still an electrical property just like resistance and inductance which has an alleged effect on an electrical signal.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,196 of 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Objective measurement with subjective observation.

For me it's pretty simple. I like to research the objective measurements and scientific principle behind the things I buy, because without investigating the hard science I'm left to the mercy of marketing. But I also allow that the objective measurements doesn't always tell the full picture, so my ears are always the final, decisive measuring instrument.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #1,197 of 2,398

Quote:
For me it's pretty simple. I like to research the objective measurements and scientific principle behind the things I buy, because without investigating the hard science I'm left to the mercy of marketing. But I also allow that the objective measurements doesn't always tell the full picture, so my ears are always the final, decisive measuring instrument.

I'm in some ways but not in all ways opposite.  I go by the ears and impressions of those I trust very well, and then I use my own ears as final judgement.  I never want to see a graph or a single measurement.  

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #1,200 of 2,398
Where can I find the cheapest complete aftermarket cable with 4-pin-XLR (i.e. no TRS) to my LCD-2s? Thanks for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back