LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Sep 8, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #961 of 2,398

Quote:
Word of mouth I suppose... A few guys told me about it, I took the gamble (if you can call it that, what with the 30 day return policy), and I absolutely love it. And I usually have nothing to do with cables.

AFAIK, everyone who has gotten one loves it. It's really worth it for the comfort alone.

Comfort/ergonomics are a big selling point, for sure. That's the reason I'm trying to avoid buying the Norse 8-conductor cable :p

Quote:

Less time designing a website means more time designing products.

True.

Does anyone know exactly what type of copper he's using for his cables? All he mentions is "pure copper", which doesn't tell me much.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #963 of 2,398

Quote:
Comfort/ergonomics are a big selling point, for sure. That's the reason I'm trying to avoid buying the Norse 8-conductor cable :p

Does anyone know exactly what type of copper he's using for his cables? All he mentions is "pure copper", which doesn't tell me much.

Yea, the LCD-2 could use as little extra weight as possible. Thankfully the Q is like a long piece of yarn.

I think he detailed that a few pages back.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #964 of 2,398

Quote:
I'll be ordering my Q-Audio with the back of neck neurotransmitter termination (no headphones required)! I expect it to keep its resale value should I sell in future.

I think Steve is going to be offering those at the end of the month.  Mini termination at the back of the neck.  He sends some sort of delivery device for injection and you're up and running. I think he calls the Q Implants.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #967 of 2,398

Quote:
http://www.q-audio.com/

Scroll down to the headphone cable

Quote:
http://www.q-audio.com/details.html

Type 2 Litz Wire.

Yep, I'd seen/read both sections, I was looking to get information as to the actual kind of conductor used.

I've PM'ed Steve for more info.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #968 of 2,398

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite. Who is Q-Audio and why are they suddenly so popular with the LCD-2? Their site seems very spartan...

Some people who's ears and judgement are trusted here, had very nice experiences with the Q.

Skylab tried an Alo, Norse, Q and Silver Dragon and preferred Steve's cable both in sound and ergonomics. (I'd love to see him compare these with a Double Helix macromolecule or molecule silver).
More recently Warriorant made an excellent mini-review about the Q-cable in this topic, couple of weeks ago. (love to see him compare to a Double Helix too:p)

What also helps I think, I that guys like Steve (Q-Audio) and Peter (Double Helix) are actually very active in this topic and other related ones. We audio people love to know the guys, personal service etc. etc.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #969 of 2,398

Quote:
Yep, I'd seen/read both sections, I was looking to get information as to the actual kind of conductor used.

I've PM'ed Steve for more info.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533209/lcd-2-owners-which-aftermarket-cable-do-you-use/480#post_7521393

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #970 of 2,398
This is what I have done. I took the stock cable and put a Furetch 1/4 inch plug instead of the one that came with the cable. Then I cut off the mini xlr connectors and removed the metal plugs in the wooden housing and replaced them with wooden plugs with holes in them. I then took off the screens and put the cable through the wooden plugs after removing the silver wires inside. Connect the postive and negative wires up to the correct tabs now they are wired direct. Believe me any short coming you had about the stock cable will be put behimd you in a second as soon as you listen to them. When these are wired direct the diffrenec is more then just a little. And you dont have to be thinking of I wont be able to change cables the sound is so good you will not care. If you thought these were good out of the box you have no idea how good they can be for those who want all they can get out of a already world class phone. After this tweek I would have to say it puts LCD2 right on the top of the heap.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #971 of 2,398

Quote:
This is what I have done. I took the stock cable and put a Furetch 1/4 inch plug instead of the one that came with the cable. Then I cut off the mini xlr connectors and removed the metal plugs in the wooden housing and replaced them with wooden plugs with holes in them. I then took off the screens and put the cable through the wooden plugs after removing the silver wires inside. Connect the postive and negative wires up to the correct tabs now they are wired direct. Believe me any short coming you had about the stock cable will be put behimd you in a second as soon as you listen to them. When these are wired direct the diffrenec is more then just a little. And you dont have to be thinking of I wont be able to change cables the sound is so good you will not care. If you thought these were good out of the box you have no idea how good they can be for those who want all they can get out of a already world class phone. After this tweek I would have to say it puts LCD2 right on the top of the heap.

Photos!   
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #974 of 2,398

Thanks I did not want to take them apart to show the inside because they are wood and as such the screws tend to loosen after to many times. The wire just goes in to 2 metal tabs and there is a postive and negative pretty simple and man does it make a diffrence. Most likley not for every one as for my self i am really enjoying them now.

Quote:
^ Ok, that looks sweet. Nice job cavedave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back