LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Sep 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #948 of 2,398
If you don't have a balanced amp getting a balanced termination would be kind of pointless...
As far as resale, cables lose the most resale value than anything other than speakers, (you can usually recoup a decent amount reselling headphones or amps/dacs) but I have seen $800 SAA cables go used for 300.  I think the unspoken rule for fair sale price on them is 40% off.
Rule of thumb I have found to be a truism is better to update headphones/amp/sometimes dac than cables.  Even if you are on the "cables make a difference" side of things, it should be the last tweak in your system.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #951 of 2,398
I just got my ALO "Salty Pepper" 8-conductor SxC cable.  The look of the cable is stunning, the weave is tight and uniform, and the build quality seems to be clearly top notch (and it better be for the price I paid).

The cable seems to have brought on immediately-noticeable, and substantial, sound quality improvements.  I haven't yet done a direct comparison with the stock cable, but I feel that I don't have to in order to hear better clarity and generally a more robust and authoritative sound.  Instrument separation and soundstage both seemed to have improved, with recordings feeling less congested and more realistic overall.  The sonic image just seems sharper and better-focused.

Ergonomics are one area where ALO's cables have been criticized in the past, but I think that Ken has listened to the feedback.  The SxC cable feels lighter than the stock cable when I'm wearing the LCD-2s, although microphonics/cable noise can be heard if I tap the cable or the cable gets dragged against something.  However, I don't find this to be too distracting or annoying.

I sent my TWag cable back to Craig (unnecessarily, it turned out), so I can't compare that with the ALO.  From memory, I would say that I noticed the ALO cable's enhancement of my listening experience more quickly and dramatically than with the TWag, but it could just be my imagination.  And I can't say whether the ALO cable sounds any better than some of the cheaper aftermarket cables out there, but so far I'm extremely satisfied with the crisp detail, power and refinement that it's added to my LCD-2s (rev. 1).

Some pics (mediocre iPhone quality):

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #952 of 2,398
Got the Q-audio cable. Easy to hear the improvements over the latest stock cord. More holoraphic soundstaging and precise imaging, definitely tighter bass and less muddy sound.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #953 of 2,398
If you don't have a balanced amp getting a balanced termination would be kind of pointless...
As far as resale, cables lose the most resale value than anything other than speakers, (you can usually recoup a decent amount reselling headphones or amps/dacs) but I have seen $800 SAA cables go used for 300.  I think the unspoken rule for fair sale price on them is 40% off.
Rule of thumb I have found to be a truism is better to update headphones/amp/sometimes dac than cables.  Even if you are on the "cables make a difference" side of things, it should be the last tweak in your system.

If I would sell the cables, I would sell it with the LCD2 when I do because it's probably the only cable I will ever purchase. My setup doesn't consist of many cables or upgrades/tweaks. It's a portable set up: iPad -> Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3 LOD to USB -> CLAS -> Q-Audio mini to RCA -> Triad Audio L3 -> Q-Audio LCD2 cable -> LCD2.

Someone earlier said they got their cable terminated in 4pin XLR and got adapters for it (4pin XLR to 1/4 or 1/8) in case because retermination is a nuisance. If I do this, maybe in the far future when I do sell these LCD2, the cable will be of interest to a larger group of people since the LCD2 is mainly a desktop can. :)

Another thought just passed my mind: What would happen if I had a 1/4 to mini adapter attached to a 1/4 to 4pin XLR which is attached to a 4pin XLR terminated cable? :p That's two adapters. Do you think there will be a big chance of degradation through this?

^~^ forgive my dumb questions

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #955 of 2,398
If I want to connect my soon-to-be-bought LCD2 to Lyr... what Q cable should I get? mini XLR to 1/4?

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #958 of 2,398

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite. Who is Q-Audio and why are they suddenly so popular with the LCD-2? Their site seems very spartan...

Word of mouth I suppose... A few guys told me about it, I took the gamble (if you can call it that, what with the 30 day return policy), and I absolutely love it. And I usually have nothing to do with cables.

AFAIK, everyone who has gotten one loves it. It's really worth it for the comfort alone.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #960 of 2,398

Quote:
Steve Eddy.  I'm not sure who started pushing them, I think WA was the main proponent.  He just keeps bringing them up as making a big difference and more and more people seem to be hopping on the bandwagon...

Less time designing a website means more time designing products.

Yea, this.

I actually wanted a Norse cable some time back, and I think they still don't have a website.

Then I got told about the Q by WA and a few others and jumped on that. Very glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back