LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Jul 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #603 of 2,398

Quote:
kwkarth I think?

Actually I've heard the copper/silver ALO cable in their shop (32 Ohm Audio) but I have not had the opportunity to compare any other aftermarket cables to that one.  The radial chainmail I have is all copper.  ALO Audio Reference 8 copper.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #604 of 2,398
Quote:
Actually I've heard the copper/silver ALO cable in their shop (32 Ohm Audio) but I have not had the opportunity to compare any other aftermarket cables to that one.  The radial chainmail I have is all copper.  ALO Audio Reference 8 copper.

Do you have a preference between your copper Reference 8 and the Q Audio? If so, could you briefly explain why? Based on price and ergonomics, I'm leaning toward the Q Audio cable, but the ALO cable has so many positive reviews. It makes for a tough decision.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #605 of 2,398

Quote:
Do you have a preference between your copper Reference 8 and the Q Audio? If so, could you briefly explain why? Based on price and ergonomics, I'm leaning toward the Q Audio cable, but the ALO cable has so many positive reviews. It makes for a tough decision.

They both sound great to my ears and I have a hardtime deciding which is better than the other.  Overall, I think the Q-Audio maybe is a little cleaner on busy passages, but I haven't done a double blind study...it's that close.  The aesthetics of the Q cable have me won over though, no contest.  Light as a feather, and as flexible as a wet noodle.  That's no exaggeration.  No microphonics either.  YMMV 

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #606 of 2,398
Just got my Q cable for the LCD-2 yesterday.
The build quality and feel is excellent, I agree with kwkrth's comment about the comfort, it really is that good.

In terms of sound quality I am a bit disappointed at the moment as OOTB I feel the sound became a bit darker and the bass is not as powerful nor as deep, other aspects seems to be about the same.
On a positive note, I feel the music has become silky smooth and even sweet, which I really like.
I had a brief time listening yesterday, will give it a more serious audition today.

I hope this gets better with break in, has anyone observed any of this ?

Here are some pics I took, enjoy:

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #609 of 2,398

Quote:
The build quality and feel is excellent, I agree with kwkrth's comment about the comfort, it really is that good.

In terms of sound quality I am a bit disappointed at the moment as OOTB I feel the sound became a bit darker and the bass is not as powerful nor as deep, other aspects seems to be about the same.
On a positive note, I feel the music has become silky smooth and even sweet, which I really like.
I had a brief time listening yesterday, will give it a more serious audition today.

I'm really interested to hear your further impressions.  I expected there to be reduced bass and impact, but was surprised to hear better bass definition and impact.  So it will be great to compare notes.

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #611 of 2,398
I have had the Q-Audio cable for a while, right off the bat, it does not sound that great. In fact, it kinda made the LCD2 sound quite ordinary.

But after about 8 hours of running in, you will start to notice the sound opening up as well as the bass starting to get back its power.

It does get better over time and also a lot more transparent as well.

Quote:

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #612 of 2,398

Quote:
I have had the Q-Audio cable for a while, right off the bat, it does not sound that great. In fact, it kinda made the LCD2 sound quite ordinary.

But after about 8 hours of running in, you will start to notice the sound opening up as well as the bass starting to get back its power.

It does get better over time and also a lot more transparent as well.

How much time would you say it takes for the cable to finally reach it fullest performance?

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #613 of 2,398
Does anyone have experience with the headphile.com cable upgrade?  I am interested just cuz its so crazy awesome lookin', but hesitant cause i haven heard feedback...

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #614 of 2,398
Just got this email from Trevor at Norse Audio:
Quote:
I would like to also let you know about our new conductor coming in about 3-weeks or so.

[size=x-small][size=medium][size=x-small]It will utilize a uniquely patterned cotton jacket around Litz up-occ conductors (up-occ with benefit of cotton dielectric properties).  It will have zero microphonics along with extreme light weight and flexibility.  Of course you also will have the choice of having our exotic wood splitter on the new cable as well.  If desired we can send you an email when it is available along with pictures at that time.  Prices will be a bit higher due to our lengthy development process, [/size][/size][/size]most likely starting at $189.99 (2.0m). 

[size=x-small][size=medium][size=x-small]Being the first business to develop this type of cable with the largest up-occ manufacturer we are quite excited about it.  It utilizes the best materials available today to give the purest sound possible.  [/size][/size][/size]We may also be introducing an 8-conductor cotton version as well, but it is not yet a certainty. 

Thanks!

Trevor

It sounds interesting to me. Is anyone else curious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back