LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Jul 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #631 of 2,398

Quote:
Both Steve and Trevor at Norse are great guys to deal with...

Don't forget Peter at Double Helix, with his Molecule cable he completes the "big three" of affordable high-quality aftermarket headphone cable vendors. He is very easy to work with and his website works great.

http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #632 of 2,398
I'm going with Peter's OCC silver cable. He's been a great guy and I'm looking forward to try his cable

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #633 of 2,398

Quote:
He's in the middle of updating his site.  Aren't you, Steve?

The middle? Are you kidding me? Hell, we don't even have the... OWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Oh yeah, that's right. The middle. We're in the middle of updating the website. Yeah, that's the ticket... *rubbing shin*

se

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #634 of 2,398
Now my foot hurts. 
wink_face.gif

-HK sends

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #635 of 2,398
Quote:

Don't forget Peter at Double Helix, with his Molecule cable he completes the "big three" of affordable high-quality aftermarket headphone cable vendors. He is very easy to work with and his website works great.

http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with him.  Truth is, most all of the folks that work so hard on these cables, amps, DACs, and headphones have been incredible to deal with.  If it weren't for Alex, Sankar, Jason (for me), and all the cable guys, I wouldn't have gone as far into this hobby as I have.  ...or spent as much as I have. 
wink_face.gif

Their personable service serves as the example all mainstream companies should follow.

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #637 of 2,398
Looks cool Steve, keep it up.
btw, Nice photos of the Cable w/ LCD-2 
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #638 of 2,398
I've not been through the whole of this thread, but what sonic differences have people noticed with particular aftermarket cables compared to stock?

I've got a Schiit Lyr on the way so would it be more worthwhile playing with tubes to tailor the sound and just replace the cable purely for ergonomic and aesthetic reasons?

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #639 of 2,398

Quote:
I've not been through the whole of this thread, but what sonic differences have people noticed with particular aftermarket cables compared to stock?

I've got a Schiit Lyr on the way so would it be more worthwhile playing with tubes to tailor the sound and just replace the cable purely for ergonomic and aesthetic reasons?

Maybe both.  It depends on what you'r after.  It depends upon your source.  It depends upon what material you listen to, etc.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #640 of 2,398

Quote:

I would upgrade the tube. The tube will always make more a difference than a cable. People agree that tubes make changes, that is not always the case with the cable. Upgrade the cable purely for ergonomic and aesthetic reasons and if you get a positive change with doing so, it is just icing on the cake.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #641 of 2,398
With the tube rolling you're physically changing the output stages of your amp and actual circuitry; with some tubes they have a similar sound and you can scarcely know the difference - other times, the difference will be massively profound.  Cables are less noticeable than some tube upgrades, for sure.  I spent big on the single WE396 tube that was in my MHDT Havana tube DAC back when I still had it, and it was a very good decision.  

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #642 of 2,398
Thanks.

In that case is there a cable recommended that won't make the bass any tighter/leaner/lower in quantity while looking nice and not being a dead weight like the stock?

The Q-Audio or Double Helix Molecule look nice to me.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #643 of 2,398
    Quote:
Thanks.

In that case is there a cable recommended that won't make the bass any tighter/leaner/lower in quantity while looking nice and not being a dead weight like the stock?

The Q-Audio or Double Helix Molecule look nice to me.

I believe somebody suggested that the Q-Audio cable made bass leaner, but I haven't heard any reduction in bass at all.  I am using the r.2 LCD-2s and the bass extension sounds great.  I would say it's tighter in that there is more detail in the bass without muddines or flabbiness.  It still makes my teeth rattle.

Call me quite happy with the Q-Audio cable...

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #644 of 2,398
I'm using the Q-Audio cable first and foremost for it's stealth mode. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back