Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #616 of 729
It's an alright pairing, provided your DAC is "compatible" with the 800S.
What sound should a compatible dac have for HD 800s? I am guessing a none harsh sounding one.
Have an Lake people rs 02.
And ordered an HD 800s

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #617 of 729
any decent multi-bit/R2 R design would work well.

haven't heard the HD800s, but have 2 Audio GD multibit DACs, and they totally changed how I hear digital (ie, it no longer sounds "digital")

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #619 of 729
Any DAC except a Sabre DAC would do.
Why not a sabre dac?
I also happen to have on order a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital with ESS Sabre Pro ES9038 onboard.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #621 of 729
Because most Sabre DACs that I have heard had accentuated treble.
I can only hope it not the case with the project dac. Read a comment that someone said it was never harsh to listen to, dont know though what speakers or headphones he listened to. Amp mather also right? I dont find RS 02 have that much treble with hd 650.

I saw in your inventory that you have a Lake People RS06 DAC. I remember someone said it could sound very harsh with HD800. Compared to chord mojo.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #622 of 729
I can only hope it not the case with the project dac. Read a comment that someone said it was never harsh to listen to, dont know though what speakers or headphones he listened to. Amp mather also right? I dont find RS 02 have that much treble with hd 650.

I saw in your inventory that you have a Lake People RS06 DAC. I remember someone said it could sound very harsh with HD800. Compared to chord mojo.

Chord Mojo has it's top end attenuated too much.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #623 of 729
Chord Mojo has it's top end attenuated too much.
Alright.
Theres seven digital filters on the project dac. I can hope that one is less treble freindly if needed.

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #624 of 729
I can report that i dont find pre box
S2 sabre dac HD 800s and lake people rs 02 to sound harsh :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #626 of 729
Hi everyone,

I've been a 3-years user of the G109S, now paired with a LP RS06 and used until now on a Beyer DT880 250 ohms. I got to say I'm really happy with it! Very sturdy unit, well built and absolutely no flaw. It got tremendous power, absolutely clean sound whatever the pre-gain and position of the volume pot. The only thing I like a bit less is (was) a small perceived lack of medium frequencies. I think my ears were used to have more from my full size hi-fi system. Now I'm just used to it and it sounds perfect!

Recently I got to try several flagship headphones on my rig: Beyer T1, Hifiman HE-6, Senn HD800 (and other lower tier ones). They all sounded really good, and I even managed to drive the HE-6 to reaally loud levels, which is good news! (tremendous headphones by the way, I may try to buy one for myself).

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #627 of 729
Listening to my brand new used G109-P with HD600's. The album is Led Zeppelin's first.

Really, really impressive amp. The power is obviously there into a 300 ohm load...driver control seems pretty effortless for this German monster. Textures aren't usually the Senns' forte but acoustic guitar in particular sounds more precise without any loss of intimacy. And honestly, only tubes will get you more/better soundstage than this. The HD600s are open cans and the G109 makes them sound that way. It's never spacy or indistinct, either...very solid.

The Alpha Dogs are THE most power-hungry cans I've ever heard - Audezes and HFMs included - in terms of refinement of the "house sound" the MrSpeakers Fostex mods have. I've heard a genuinely amazing increase in sound quality from the pre-Alpha offerings to the ADs...and now the G109 gives me the same increase in the ADs via better amplification. They're a reference can IMO, despite their reputation as having a dark sound. If you want a sound that will always impress you but never surprise you, the Alpha Dogs/G109-P should not be missed.

DT880 600 ohms are notoriously picky with ANYTHING SS but I have a tough time finding objectionable parts of the signature of the G109. DT880s are detail queens and nothing has changed there. But the only other amp that sounds better in the rest of the frequency spectrum is the Bottlehead Crack. There's none of that peaky quality the 880s can adopt without the proper source and amp.

It's expensive but there are times when going farther down the rabbit hole can net you some nice benefits.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #628 of 729
I agree w/everything you say here (though never heard high impedance HPs w/my G109-A). This amp has plenty of power, a very pleasing sonic profile (slightly warm, authoritative bass, solid/musical mids & treble), and costs a fraction of what endgame amps cost.

Here's the scary thing about the G109: as good as it is, it's really just the 1st step on the quality & sound ladder at Violectric. As you go up the ladder (ie, to the V200, V220, V280, V281), everything gets even better, and the gains in functionality (balanced outs; preamp capability) are just as impressive as the sound.

It's hard to go wrong w/Lake People & Violectric. I'm crazy about their amps...

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #629 of 729
You were one of the primary reasons I bought the G109, Pharmaboy. So many thanks to you for your insighful and pretty darn comprehensive coverage of the LP and Violectric offerings. :L3000:

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #630 of 729
Spending time comparing the HD650 and HD6XX on my Lake People G109-S has me truly appreciating how terrific this amp is with these cans. I thought they paired well with my Jot and Project Ember but the G109 has become my favourite.
I feel like my HD6XX are too dark and too warm with my Lake People G103-S. I'm not saying that Lake People G103-S is very dark or warm, but maybe HD6XX requires brighter amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back