Lake People G109 / G103 thread
Nov 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #256 of 729
Hi @Tuneslover

thank you for your warm words :). I am realy looking forward to hear with my new amp :).

Regarding burn-in: At least for some of my headphones, burn-in was defenitely a real thing.
Eventhough an amp has no moveable drivers to my knowledge ( :wink: ) i guess it could well be a real thing. 
I've read, that some manufactures do a burn-in, before delivery, aswell. So i will defenitely do an extensive burn-in session. 

At first the G109S will be connected via rca to my Yamaha dvd/cd player (e600mk2).
Later on i want to use the amp with my notebook aswell.
Therefore i need an usb-dac (with rca outputs), so i can connect the G109S with my notebook. Eventhough i have to hear the amp for myself, so i can chose the right dac, i would like to know, which dac are you currently using?

Thank you very much in advance and have a good time with your Amp :)

EDIT: @plakat  It was a hard choice between the g109 and the g103, but i think i made the right decission and the time without the amp until christmas will be realy hard :wink:

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #257 of 729
@BlueMountain  While every manufacturer with even a hint of quality control does run every item for a few hours before shipping it out (and might call that burn-in) thats more to assess correct function and operation within specification than any hope for "making it better". But you're of course free to do as you like... you just don't have to feel left out if you decide against.

Regarding G103 vs. G109: while I've never heard the smaller amp, the G109 does feel more substantial and I always liked the bigger volume control better. Its the top product for studio use by a company that builds headphone amps for I think 20 years now. Its a very solid amp and won't nag you with the thought about the 'bigger model' as the G103 might have done :wink:

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #258 of 729
Hi, I just took delivery of a G109P from Thomann (B-stock). Based on quick first impressions, I have to say it sounds marvellous both with my DT990 600ohm and with my Grado SR325is. However...

I am experiencing some very strong hissing at very low volume (say 1st/2nd/3rd position on the pot, so below audible music levels) with my low impedance Grados (32ohm). The hissing seems to disappear as you turn the pot clockwise and it's gone at about 8 o'clock on the pot. 

What's more interesting, the hissing varies in intensity as you move the headphone cable, suggesting the cable is acting as some sort of antenna? The hissing is not audible using my DT990. When the Grado's headphone cable is closer to the G109p enclosure, the hissing will be strongest. I am on default, factory-set gain by the way.

I've been wondering whether the Grado's cable is poorly shielded, but I don't have other good quality, low impedance headphones lying around. I also tested a pair of cheap Sennheiser PX100 and I can definitely hear hiss as above.

Has anybody else experienced this? Could people with a G109P and low impedance headphones test this?  A pity really, as I'm in awe with the sound I'm getting.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #260 of 729
  Hi, I just took delivery of a G109P from Thomann (B-stock). Based on quick first impressions, I have to say it sounds marvellous both with my DT990 600ohm and with my Grado SR325is. However...

I am experiencing some very strong hissing at very low volume (say 1st/2nd/3rd position on the pot, so below audible music levels) with my low impedance Grados (32ohm). The hissing seems to disappear as you turn the pot clockwise and it's gone at about 8 o'clock on the pot. 

What's more interesting, the hissing varies in intensity as you move the headphone cable, suggesting the cable is acting as some sort of antenna? The hissing is not audible using my DT990. When the Grado's headphone cable is closer to the G109p enclosure, the hissing will be strongest. I am on default, factory-set gain by the way.

I've been wondering whether the Grado's cable is poorly shielded, but I don't have other good quality, low impedance headphones lying around. I also tested a pair of cheap Sennheiser PX100 and I can definitely hear hiss as above.

Has anybody else experienced this? Could people with a G109P and low impedance headphones test this?  A pity really, as I'm in awe with the sound I'm getting.

Hi,

Sorry about that hiss. Can be very annoying. Especially if it's unclear what's causing is. I just checked with my FAD Pandora VI (8 ohm) and Sony MDR-MA900 (12 ohm) to the G109-P and get zero hiss at the first three positions. If the 990 has no probs if must be those headphones right?

Probably unrelated but are you using RCA or XLR to connect to your source?

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #261 of 729
Hi, no XLR, just plain RCA out of an HRT Music Streamer II+. I also tried the RCA output of a Marantz CD63 MK2 KI to similar effect. I wonder whether I got a faulty sample, or whether the unit was marketed as "b-stock" for this exact reason. In any case I've returned the unit for a refund, we'll see what Thomann thinks.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #265 of 729
i bought 109s, now i need rca cables, where should i get them?(int shipping is must)

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #267 of 729
hey guys what amp do you suggest for a pair of fidelio x1 and in the future for a pair of dt770 250 ohm?

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #268 of 729

Hey gelocks. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Lehmanns, or any of the other high end amps, so I can't compare the G109 to them. I can tell you that I am liking my G109 very much. Its exactly what I thought it would be-- a relatively inexpensive, sturdy & reliable, simple, and very powerful amp. Its not the best option for modding and the like, its more of a 'set it and forget it' amp, and in that regard it is very good. It has enough power to push any headphones out there, possibly even the HE6 though that remains to be seen, and the variable gain settings make it possible to use anything with the G109, from 16 ohm IEMs to 600 ohm full size cans.

I'm planning on putting together all my thoughts on the G109 and adding it to the OP but I'm mainly hoping that as more people find out about these and get their hands on them that we'll get some feedback as to how they compare to other options like the BCL, Apex Butte, Violectric V200, etc.

It sounds like you have the opportunity to get a BCL on the cheap, which sounds cool. If you end up going with one of the Lake People amps I'm sure you'll be pretty happy. If saving money is your top priority the G103 might be the perfect choice.

hi devhen,

I'm going to buy an headphone amplifier for my fidelio (in the future I could choose something more serious that you could suggest me).

Do you think the g103-s could be a good choice? in particular for the "low" price...

what sound differences are there between g103 and g109?

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #269 of 729
  hi devhen,

I'm going to buy an headphone amplifier for my fidelio (in the future I could choose something more serious that you could suggest me).

Do you think the g103-s could be a good choice? in particular for the "low" price...

what sound differences are there between g103 and g109?

There is an Innerfidelity review of both models:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/lake-people-g103p-and-g109p-headphone-amplifiers

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #270 of 729

There is an Innerfidelity review of both models:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/lake-people-g103p-and-g109p-headphone-amplifiers

oh good but do you think the balanced input could be better than the unbalanced one?

I'll use it with cable to amp near tens of power cable and usb cable behind the pc...
What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back