La Figaro 339
Feb 28, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,301 of 6,903
Yeah 339i being no wonder amp is good input. TBH I think I've just been trying to "fix" the Ananda's sound for too long, with SET tube amps, hybrids, warm solid states, maybe it's time to change headphones. Hoping an amp like the 339 will help the bass impact and fix the weird upper mid-range/treble tonality might just be too much to put on any amp's shoulders.
I think it may not be the best fit. Anandas should sound better with wa6se (i see You have it). If still not better You may be right it is time to change HPs.

Btw La Figaro sounds really good with hd600, which i see You have.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #6,302 of 6,903
I think it may not be the best fit. Anandas should sound better with wa6se (i see You have it). If still not better You may be right it is time to change HPs.

Btw La Figaro sounds really good with hd600, which i see You have.
Yeah those were my feelings too. I have a BH Crack coming in soon for the Sennheisers and ZMF, but was tempted by the LF 339 that could be something I could drive everything with. But maybe it’s just time to leave the Ananda’s behind and not worry about drivability. I’ve still got my eye on the 339 in the future...those dual volume controls look seriously sexy.

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #6,303 of 6,903
Yeah those were my feelings too. I have a BH Crack coming in soon for the Sennheisers and ZMF, but was tempted by the LF 339 that could be something I could drive everything with. But maybe it’s just time to leave the Ananda’s behind and not worry about drivability. I’ve still got my eye on the 339 in the future...those dual volume controls look seriously sexy.

I love the dual knobs. Pays $$ to the dual knobs and save $$$ for not buying matched pairs.

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #6,304 of 6,903
those dual volume controls look seriously sexy.
This is the only thing in this amp i do not like:)
Btw i was in similar situation last year with lcd3f. Audeze are superb HPs and with La figaro it is an awesome combo. However there was a peak somewhere in hights that bothered me. I tried to work out to mitigate with tubes/dacs and finally decided to sell Audeze. I have Meze Empyrean now which seem to have more extended treble than audeze, but they have no that disturbing peak.

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #6,305 of 6,903
This is the only thing in this amp i do not like:)
Btw i was in similar situation last year with lcd3f. Audeze are superb HPs and with La figaro it is an awesome combo. However there was a peak somewhere in hights that bothered me. I tried to work out to mitigate with tubes/dacs and finally decided to sell Audeze. I have Meze Empyrean now which seem to have more extended treble than audeze, but they have no that disturbing peak.
Ha! Exactly. The Ananda has this weird peak in the mid-treble, but then a complete lack of upper treble, which makes finding an amp for it impossible. You either lose all the resolution or get an annoying mid-treble peak. I don’t have the funds for an Empyrean at the moment, but I’m hoping the GL2000 has a friendlier tonality while keeping that huge planar sound.

Anyway, topics for another thread! For now I’ll just keep the LF on my radar. Thanks everyone!

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,306 of 6,903
Mar 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #6,307 of 6,903
This is a nightmare... source of NOS tubes is drying. I'm thinking of stockig myself with tubes for the rest of my life. Probably i now can not afford for some tubes i have, like nice pair of Tung Sol 5998.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #6,308 of 6,903
Are any of you the "Esquizóide" on the Massdrop website?

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #6,309 of 6,903
This is a nightmare... source of NOS tubes is drying. I'm thinking of stockig myself with tubes for the rest of my life. Probably i now can not afford for some tubes i have, like nice pair of Tung Sol 5998.
I wouldn't worry to much about it...there are cheaper alternatives out there and plenty of other tubes to roll...if you are patient there are still deals to be had.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #6,311 of 6,903
Maybe try other ef86?

About the hum in noisy driver, anyone is brave enough to try this mod? 🥺
It's about the noise induce in the drivers by the heaters power.

1. Creating a virtual center tap
2.Elevating the reference of the heater voltage

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/post-16182719

I know it is performed on the 336se, but the idea should be the same for the 339.

I for sure will try his diode mods on the 6as7g socket in Order to slow start the filament heating. But it's another mod that the hum noise mode. It's for protection g tubes from arcing.
Ok good news for those who have hum issue.
For me i have some hum with ef86.
I like to listen to 339 with my Meridian 861 DAC at very loud level!
Usually i use my 339 volume at 12o'clock and up.

So..
I tried @L0rdGwyn first mod for the darkvoice which is the virtual center tap for the heaters.

I am happy to report that there is a huge improvement in hum cleaning for the 339!

It's very easy to do if you have hum and hum annoys you!

Also I have small clone of a fender champ 5w tube amp and i checked inside it, and oh boy the heaters were grounded too! So i performed a virtual center tap on on those and now the guitar amp is so quiet! Very very low hum at full power!

Such a good mod to know when you have tube amps!

Now onto the elevation of the heaters!😁

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #6,312 of 6,903
Mar 2, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #6,315 of 6,903
Ok good news for those who have hum issue.
For me i have some hum with ef86.
I like to listen to 339 with my Meridian 861 DAC at very loud level!
Usually i use my 339 volume at 12o'clock and up.

So..
I tried @L0rdGwyn first mod for the darkvoice which is the virtual center tap for the heaters.

I am happy to report that there is a huge improvement in hum cleaning for the 339!

It's very easy to do if you have hum and hum annoys you!

Also I have small clone of a fender champ 5w tube amp and i checked inside it, and oh boy the heaters were grounded too! So i performed a virtual center tap on on those and now the guitar amp is so quiet! Very very low hum at full power!

Such a good mod to know when you have tube amps!

Now onto the elevation of the heaters!😁
@L0rdGwyn good news on the 339i front...virtual center tap works on 339i too.

@telecaster Did you document the process with pics so we could try? You mentioned Fender amp...is that where your user name comes from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back