La Figaro 339
Feb 27, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #6,271 of 6,903
It's just past midnight now and the comparison between Taurus and Figaro has come to an end. The winner according to me is Taurus. Both are so good with my headphones, particularly HE1000se but Taurus just edge out Figaro in resolution, details and soundstage and Figaro is no slouch in those departments. In fact Figaro amazed me time and again.

Ideally I should keep both and sell off the Wa22 instead. :xf_cool: Now that is a hard thing to do as well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I am finding that it comes down to my tubes as they are part of the investment. Can you part with the WA22 or 339i knowing what tubes you have for each and where you are headed in the future? I would think at this point UntilThen that you have amassed so many different tubes you probably have a closet full of them and can finance another amp just by selling some of your tubes. 🤑

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #6,272 of 6,903
It's just past midnight now and the comparison between Taurus and Figaro has come to an end. The winner according to me is Taurus. Both are so good with my headphones, particularly HE1000se but Taurus just edge out Figaro in resolution, details and soundstage and Figaro is no slouch in those departments. In fact Figaro amazed me time and again.

Ideally I should keep both and sell off the Wa22 instead. :xf_cool: Now that is a hard thing to do as well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I compare A and B, and the loser is C. :L3000:

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #6,273 of 6,903
My room is air conditioned so not a problem in Summer. However I have a few very cool tube amps - Oblivion and Elekit TU8200.

Might even get the TU8600r 300b tubes version later but Odyssey is due in 4 months time !
I want the TU8600! Will you source it second hand? It's pretty much sold out as far as I know.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #6,275 of 6,903
I am finding that it comes down to my tubes as they are part of the investment. Can you part with the WA22 or 339i knowing what tubes you have for each and where you are headed in the future? I would think at this point UntilThen that you have amassed so many different tubes you probably have a closet full of them and can finance another amp just by selling some of your tubes. 🤑
At this point in time, I'm clearly won over by the tube configuration in Elekit TU-8200 and Mogwai Se. 6as7 / 6080 still have some appeal for me but only in La Figaro. I don't even care too much for Wa22 but there's 6sn7 and tube rectifiers in Wa22 that I have. :wink:

I have indeed a very good collection of tubes for both Wa22 and LF339i. Tubes in these amps does transform the amps to very good amps. Selling tubes for me is a very troublesome affair. I buy them in pairs and when I sell them, I usually bundle them with the amp. That's what I did with Glenn OTL and Studio Six. The amount of tubes I let go with those amps is a heartache but at that point, I have to cull my tubes because it's getting too much. When @paramesh receive the Glenn OTL with 2 boxes of tubes, he was beside himself. Similarly with the Studio Six, along with the amp went all my 6v6gt of many flavours and Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, Mullard ECC33, Ken Rad 6sn7gt and RCA 5691.

Now I'm investing in NOS EL34, KT88, KT77, KT66, 6550 and 807 and 6L6GC and also 12au7, 12at7, 12ax7 and 6SL7 and 6sn7 all over again. :beyersmile: I dread to think about going for a DNA Stratus or a 300b amp. Those NOS tubes are more expensive. However I think KT88 / EL34 are more my taste.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #6,276 of 6,903
I compare A and B, and the loser is C. :L3000:

I know it's funny right? Just don't equate this to your girlfriends otherwise there will be hit jobs on you !

I want the TU8600! Will you source it second hand? It's pretty much sold out as far as I know.

You can buy TU-8600R kit from Victor Kung, the Elekit Canadian representative. He's better than efficient. 300b if implemented right is a killer. I was even impressed with Wa5 and Takatsuki 300b tubes. Spend 2 weeks with that amp at home in 2018. The local Ampandsound dealer has a TU-8600R and he can't let it go because his girlfriend loves it, probably because they bought it in Japan and there's emotional attachment.

This place still sells the kit.
https://www.thetubestore.com/elekit-tu-8600s-tube-amp

and Herb Reichert review...
"The Elekit TU-8600R may look like a generic, old-school, single-ended 300B integrated amplifier, but its sonic character is clean, neutral, and precise in a distincty 21st-centary way. It doesn't sound at all warm or soft, but fast and vigorous, as transparent as any amplifier, and extremely captivating. My many months of auditioning it suggest that, with the right speakers, this humble amp kit could please discriminating listeners as much as any amplifier at any price."

Does it really affect the sound? I have a stable place for my amp (stone shelf) and always have been skeptical if any vibrapods are influencing the sound...

I don't detect any tone change but I use it on the Taurus because that amp is light and the feet base is smooth and move around. Once it sits on the Vibrapods, it's rock steady and the Taurus has only 3 feet. Just realised that the 2 front feet are bigger than the back and there's a big nut !

IMG_1939.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #6,277 of 6,903
You can buy TU-8600R kit from Victor Kung, the Elekit Canadian representative. He's better than efficient. 300b if implemented right is a killer. I was even impressed with Wa5 and Takatsuki 300b tubes
This is really interesting, i have not heard of this amp. I have not tried 300b tubes with HPs to be frank. However, my Ayon has 45 tubes, which i guess are not far away, and they are gorgeous.

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #6,278 of 6,903
This is really interesting, i have not heard of this amp. I have not tried 300b tubes with HPs to be frank. However, my Ayon has 45 tubes, which i guess are not far away, and they are gorgeous.
You're getting real deep into tube amps. Faster than you know it. :)

I heard the older Abyss 1266 phi and Utopia with the WA5LE (Takatsuki 300b tubes EML mesh 5U4G rectifiers and some gorgeous drivers) and I love it.

DNA Stratus has eluded me several times. At the beginning of this year, I was still deciding on getting a upgraded DNA Stratus, a Mogwai Se but I finally went with a custom amp bias for KT88 to be build and design by Tomas.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #6,279 of 6,903
You're getting real deep into tube amps. Faster than you know it. :)

I heard the older Abyss 1266 phi and Utopia with the WA5LE (Takatsuki 300b tubes EML mesh 5U4G rectifiers and some gorgeous drivers) and I love it.

DNA Stratus has eluded me several times. At the beginning of this year, I was still deciding on getting a upgraded DNA Stratus, a Mogwai Se but I finally went with a custom amp bias for KT88 to be build and design by Tomas.

Those amps are unfortunately difficult to try in Europe and significantly more expensive than in US due to VAT.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #6,280 of 6,903
Those amps are unfortunately difficult to try in Europe and significantly more expensive than in US due to VAT.
I’m not even sure which thread I am talking in now but Sweden isn’t far from you and you could wait for my amp to be build and then talk to Tomas. 😊

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #6,282 of 6,903
Well, Sweden is not far, there is only Baltic sea between Poland and Sweeden:) but need to think about it:)

Funny that both of Woo audio amps i had i bought in Sweden.
I am sure you can swim across the Baltic sea and back with a tube amp strapped on your back. Just get a mermaid to go along with you to make the journey more interesting.

However why don't you talk to Feliks Audio Henryk the chief engineer. I'm sure they can custom make a tube amp to your specifications but the question is the cost ...... :) Did you see the stereo tube amps they have on their website?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #6,283 of 6,903
Got this $10 RFT EF86 set. Untested, purely gambling, 10+ days to arrive from Romania.

Initial impression? Very satisfied!

I will test further after some pin cleaning, and then pair them with some good power tubes. So far it works great with my 6N5C, and apparently better than the 6SJ7GT.

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back