La Figaro 339
Feb 26, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #6,256 of 6,903
Just tried the Miflex as bypass caps for the output coupling caps, and the last caps in the power supply.
Note that I use SCR mkp film caps 200uf per channel inside the center metal box on the 339.

I am really positive, the improvement is noticeable. I tried on one side first and the sound was kind of a little better, but when both channel were upgraded, there was the missing coherence for the stereo field.

My two cents :
Highs are considerably improved, the texture is more real, there is more depth to all the instruments. There is a very stable and noble "air" around the music now. One word to summarize would be more "real"
Mids a more detailed as well, it can mirror the highs comments above. One word would be coherence and "verité"
As for the bass, I did not notice any flaws to it. There are warm and detailed as I like them.

Overall I encourage anyone to try it, maybe smaller value first for the bypass to see if you like it and not to break the bank!

50981221503_17f0490bb9_k.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #6,258 of 6,903
Just tried the Miflex as bypass caps for the output coupling caps, and the last caps in the power supply.
Note that I use SCR mkp film caps 200uf per channel inside the center metal box on the 339.

I am really positive, the improvement is noticeable. I tried on one side first and the sound was kind of a little better, but when both channel were upgraded, there was the missing coherence for the stereo field.

My two cents :
Highs are considerably improved, the texture is more real, there is more depth to all the instruments. There is a very stable and noble "air" around the music now. One word to summarize would be more "real"
Mids a more detailed as well, it can mirror the highs comments above. One word would be coherence and "verité"
As for the bass, I did not notice any flaws to it. There are warm and detailed as I like them.

Overall I encourage anyone to try it, maybe smaller value first for the bypass to see if you like it and not to break the bank!

@L0rdGwyn - Take note of this if you ever work on my 339i. Sounds like a great upgrade.

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #6,259 of 6,903
@L0rdGwyn - Take note of this if you ever work on my 339i. Sounds like a great upgrade.

Very cool! I like Miflex caps, I have them in my 6A5G SET amplifier. What I've done in your DarkVoice though by using the high-voltage regulator is completely remove the power supply electrolytics from the signal path, so no need to bypass. If I were to ever work on a La Figaro 339, I would do the same, although it would require two regulators since it is a dual mono power supply. We will see! Have to finish the DarkVoice, Mouser order is taking a long time, I suspect due to all of the recent chaos in Texas.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #6,260 of 6,903

My two cents :

Your LF339 internals are a work of art. :) Very beautiful.

I bought some Vibrapods today from a friend and I can feel it's more stable now. :)

Drumming on my desk doesn't give any feedback now. No vibrations !

IMG_1975.jpgIMG_1979.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #6,261 of 6,903
Your LF339 internals are a work of art. :) Very beautiful.

I bought some Vibrapods today from a friend and I can feel it's more stable now. :)

Drumming on my desk doesn't give any feedback now. No vibrations !

IMG_1975.jpgIMG_1979.jpg
What size (model) are those pods?

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #6,263 of 6,903

My two cents :

Oh no, previously I only 4 variables (tubes), now I have 4 more ......

And these 4 more variables (capacitors) need soldering skills that I abandoned 20 years ago. damn it!

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #6,264 of 6,903
Wow an afternoon with Taurus and Figaro. I've a hard time choosing between the 2 now. At this price point, they have no comparison. I thought Taurus was uninvolving until I volume match with Figaro and then it blew my socks off !

Ini mini miny moe, who is the best sounding of them all? I'm listening to Prince 'Purple rain'.

IMG_1980.jpg

Get yourself the Tidal Hifi version !

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #6,265 of 6,903
Wow an afternoon with Taurus and Figaro. I've a hard time choosing between the 2 now. At this price point, they have no comparison. I thought Taurus was uninvolving until I volume match with Figaro and then it blew my socks off !

Ini mini miny moe, who is the best sounding of them all? I'm listening to Prince 'Purple rain'.

IMG_1980.jpg

Get yourself the Tidal Hifi version !

Solid state for summer time and tube for winter?!😁
I may cop a SS amp for summer soon! 339 will be too hot

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #6,266 of 6,903
Oh no, previously I only 4 variables (tubes), now I have 4 more ......

And these 4 more variables (capacitors) need soldering skills that I abandoned 20 years ago. damn it!
I still have the same soldering iron than when I was in middle school where we were acquainted electronics and soldering basics! Those were useful courses!

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #6,267 of 6,903
Very cool! I like Miflex caps, I have them in my 6A5G SET amplifier. What I've done in your DarkVoice though by using the high-voltage regulator is completely remove the power supply electrolytics from the signal path, so no need to bypass. If I were to ever work on a La Figaro 339, I would do the same, although it would require two regulators since it is a dual mono power supply. We will see! Have to finish the DarkVoice, Mouser order is taking a long time, I suspect due to all of the recent chaos in Texas.
Your DIY thread looks epic i need to find the time to read it all!😁
I have so much to learn from you!

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #6,268 of 6,903
Solid state for summer time and tube for winter?!😁
I may cop a SS amp for summer soon! 339 will be too hot
My room is air conditioned so not a problem in Summer. However I have a few very cool tube amps - Oblivion and Elekit TU8200.

Might even get the TU8600r 300b tubes version later but Odyssey is due in 4 months time !

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #6,269 of 6,903
Your DIY thread looks epic i need to find the time to read it all!😁
I have so much to learn from you!

It has gotten pretty lengthy by now, hard to believe it was only started a little over a year ago. Feel free to ask questions :)

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #6,270 of 6,903
It's just past midnight now and the comparison between Taurus and Figaro has come to an end. The winner according to me is Taurus. Both are so good with my headphones, particularly HE1000se but Taurus just edge out Figaro in resolution, details and soundstage and Figaro is no slouch in those departments. In fact Figaro amazed me time and again.

Ideally I should keep both and sell off the Wa22 instead. :xf_cool: Now that is a hard thing to do as well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back