La Figaro 339
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #6,226 of 6,903
Can You list changing what parts is a must/reasonable? Wiring/caps/resistors?
@tintinsnowydog mod his LF339 under guidance from Yuking. He then got a custom LF339i from Yuking with some amazing parts and sold the silver LF339 to me, I had it for several months and I love that LF339. Eventually I sold it to @xtiva when I bought the nearly new black LF339i from another friend.

This black LF339i that I have is perfect. Volume knobs are so smooth. Everything works. In fact the sockets and RCA input / output are so new and tight. It's such a perfect specimen.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #6,227 of 6,903
I've not shown this picture here. That is the LF339 that @Bruc3 has now. Here in this picture, I still have the ALO Audio Studio Six and Yggy and Oblivion is with me.

I still have the Verite LTD Open Pheasantwood and Beyer T1.2 then.

IMG_0507.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #6,229 of 6,903
I've not shown this picture here. That is the LF339 that @Bruc3 has now. Here in this picture, I still have the ALO Audio Studio Six and Yggy and Oblivion is with me.

I still have the Verite LTD Open Pheasantwood and Beyer T1.2 then.

IMG_0507.jpg
Apologies if i missed that but how are zmf verite open with La Figaro? I remember You prised La Figaro with Lcd3f (which was also my previous setup), but would be interesting how does zmf compare.

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #6,230 of 6,903
@tintinsnowydog mod his LF339 under guidance from Yuking. He then got a custom LF339i from Yuking with some amazing parts and sold the silver LF339 to me, I had it for several months and I love that LF339. Eventually I sold it to @xtiva when I bought the nearly new black LF339i from another friend.

This black LF339i that I have is perfect. Volume knobs are so smooth. Everything works. In fact the sockets and RCA input / output are so new and tight. It's such a perfect specimen.
I have standard silver 339 (without "i"). If i am to keep it i intend to upgrade it a bit, but would not like to loose its magic sound.

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #6,231 of 6,903
Don't force it. You have the Ayon ha3 which is a good tube amp. Many will try to bring other amps to compete with the budget LF339i. Reminds me of when I was young, other kids bring their fighting cocks to fight with my grand gold and black non fighting Rooster. :)

If you have found an amp that is better with your Empyrean then by all means let the La Figaro 339i go.

That's the Ayon Ha3. It's beautiful.
This is Ayon exacly. And here it is as compared to La Figaro:)

20210225_102348.jpg

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #6,232 of 6,903
Apologies if i missed that but how are zmf verite open with La Figaro? I remember You prised La Figaro with Lcd3f (which was also my previous setup), but would be interesting how does zmf compare.
A year ago, you won't be able to get the Verite Open from me. I love it that much with Glenn OTL, Studio Six, Wa22 and La Figaro 339. Verite Open sound great with any of those tube amps. It's warmer than LCD-3f but still very clear but it's more relax. I think it will suit you to a T. Knowing your preference...

However I have move on. My favourite headphone is now HE1000se and I intend to replace the LCD-3f with LCD4 and then I'll remain with those 2 headphones. I don't need any others.

At the meet, I like Empyrean with Ampandsound Encore but I don't think I can live with that headphone alone. Together with other headphones yes. It will add a sonic signature of its own. A Verite Open and Close is certainly worth having. Perhaps one day, I might buy one again but there's a lot of stuff to buy and I'm already culling my gear. Simplicity is best. Don't have too many gear. Have just enough to use and not to keep. :slight_smile:

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #6,233 of 6,903
I have standard silver 339 (without "i"). If i am to keep it i intend to upgrade it a bit, but would not like to loose its magic sound.
Changing caps and some resistors won't make the LF339 loose it's magic. I feel that you will love the LF339i more as I have found it to be warmer compared to the earlier version. @xtiva will attest to that. He now has the silver version which is brighter and won't want my black LF339i now but I'm not letting it go either. Now that I've live with the LF339i for a few days, I find it just right for me. These tubes of RCA 5693 and Cetron 7236 sound really good with my HE1000se and LCD-3f.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #6,234 of 6,903
@UntilThen Empyreans are like chameleon depending on an amp. The beauty of Ayon/Empys combo is that it is so creamy and pleasant but stil technically superb. As for ZMF this is interesting as I have not considered Verite as warm judging from reviews (I have not heard them personally though). Maybe one day I will try, probably cheaper ZMF auteur first.

I thought ZMF would be good match for La Figaro, this amp is very flexible in terms of HP's it sounds great. Silver version is just right warm for me (widely considered as very warm:), but interesting that black one is a bit warmer. Interesting that You put Centron 7236. This seems to be a brighter tube? Maybe it is close to La figaro 339 silver with RCA 6as7g?

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #6,237 of 6,903
Nah I hate RCA 6as7g :wink:

I have a mint pair with brand new box but I don't like it. Warm and unclear is how it sound to me. Irrespective of which LF339.
I agree they are warm and unclear but still like them:)

Meze Empyrean/Ayon Ha 3 combo is the opposite in a way, You would like it. It is much less warm (even less warm than I typically like) but so smooth and colourful while being detiled and, above all, with super imagining.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #6,238 of 6,903
Same with me. Zero noise.
For me it's hard to detect the hum at full volume in during the day. But at night i can identify the hum better when everything is so silent.
With hd800 ad hd650 it's hard to hear the hum at full volume but if you concentrate you can, plug and unplug the jack.
With lcd3 though i can detect the hum easier due to the lower impedance.
If you say there is no hum then more power to you!
I know i reduce the background noise in mine when I change the capacitors, i had more background hum in my stock 339.
If you don't then fine, you don't need to do anything to your 339!😃😃

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #6,239 of 6,903
For me it's hard to detect the hum at full volume in during the day. But at night i can identify the hum better when everything is so silent.
With hd800 ad hd650 it's hard to hear the hum at full volume but if you concentrate you can, plug and unplug the jack.
With lcd3 though i can detect the hum easier due to the lower impedance.
If you say there is no hum then more power to you!
I know i reduce the background noise in mine when I change the capacitors, i had more background hum in my stock 339.
If you don't then fine, you don't need to do anything to your 339!😃😃

Does the hum go away with different tubes, telecaster?

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #6,240 of 6,903
Does the hum go away with different tubes, telecaster?
I just tried 3 pairs of drivers. The hum is the strongest around 75% max volume then goes almost silent at full volume.

The hum is not dependent on the tubes actually. It's the same hum and level for those 3 pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back