La Figaro 339
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #6,211 of 6,903
Maybe Meze with La Figaro is not entirely a bad fit, but really Meze can sound a lot better.
I agree. I'm not saying La Figaro 339i is the best ever for Meze Empyreans. As a matter of fact, at that same meet, I prefer Empyrean with Ampandsound Encore than La Figaro 339i. However taken in context of price, LF339i is great value.

IMG_1835.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #6,212 of 6,903
Anyway, i will put Tung Sol 5998 (maybe a bit better for Meze) to La Figaro and try again:))
Don't force it. You have the Ayon ha3 which is a good tube amp. Many will try to bring other amps to compete with the budget LF339i. Reminds me of when I was young, other kids bring their fighting cocks to fight with my grand gold and black non fighting Rooster. :)

If you have found an amp that is better with your Empyrean then by all means let the La Figaro 339i go.

That's the Ayon Ha3. It's beautiful.
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #6,213 of 6,903
Maybe try other ef86?

About the hum in noisy driver, anyone is brave enough to try this mod? 🥺
It's about the noise induce in the drivers by the heaters power.

1. Creating a virtual center tap
2.Elevating the reference of the heater voltage

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/post-16182719

I know it is performed on the 336se, but the idea should be the same for the 339.

I for sure will try his diode mods on the 6as7g socket in Order to slow start the filament heating. But it's another mod that the hum noise mode. It's for protection g tubes from arcing.

Hi - was perusing the tube threads and saw your post. I have not looked at the 339 circuit in person, you would definitely want to verify that the heater is not already center-tapped and figure out how it is ground referenced (one half is connected to ground in the 336SE). Also, since the 339 has a dual mono supply and the heaters are run from two different transformers, two center taps / elevated supplies would be necessary, one for each channel.

I assume the 339 has similar hum issues to the 336 then?

Looking at the circuit, the transformer heater windings are attached to a small PCB. I would look there, make sure there isn't a center tap in place, cannot see the underside of the PCB.

1.jpg

However, it looks like the heater supply is grounded at the driver tube here, same as the 336SE, the connection would have to be broken when the new ground reference is made.

339 ground.jpg

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #6,214 of 6,903
Hi - was perusing the tube threads and saw your post. I have not looked at the 339 circuit in person, you would definitely want to verify that the heater is not already center-tapped and figure out how it is ground referenced (one half is connected to ground in the 336SE). Also, since the 339 has a dual mono supply and the heaters are run from two different transformers, two center taps / elevated supplies would be necessary, one for each channel.

I assume the 339 has similar hum issues to the 336 then?

Looking at the circuit, the transformer heater windings are attached to a small PCB. I would look there, make sure there isn't a center tap in place, cannot see the underside of the PCB.

However, it looks like the heater supply is grounded at the driver tube here, same as the 336SE, the connection would have to be broken when the new ground reference is made.

Thanks LG!

I already check under that PCB where the heaters are connected, and there are only the resistors for the leds running of the heaters. I swap the led for white leds and I needed to adjust the value of those resistors in order to get it at the right brightness.

Looking at it I think that there is a center tap on the 339 , that's maybe the yellow wire on this photo below running between the two last power caps and soldered to the ground bus.

Once I have disconnected the heater to ground, I could measure the voltage from that supposedly CT and the heaters to be sure.

So if it's a CT, I assume I just have to do the elevation and connect the CT to it right?

There is no strong hum on the 339 like on the 336 it seems, but there is some faint AC cycle hum on some driver tubes when you really push the volume. It could be a benefit to get rid of that!

10268835.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #6,215 of 6,903
Thanks LG!

I already check under that PCB where the heaters are connected, and there are only the resistors for the leds running of the heaters. I swap the led for white leds and I needed to adjust the value of those resistors in order to get it at the right brightness.

Looking at it I think that there is a center tap on the 339 , that's maybe the yellow wire on this photo below running between the two last power caps and soldered to the ground bus.

Once I have disconnected the heater to ground, I could measure the voltage from that supposedly CT and the heaters to be sure.

So if it's a CT, I assume I just have to do the elevation and connect the CT to it right?

There is no strong hum on the 339 like on the 336 it seems, but there is some faint AC cycle hum on some driver tubes when you really push the volume. It could be a benefit to get rid of that!

10268835.jpg

If the hum isn't very bad, might just try a simple virtual center tap before going to the the trouble of elevating the heater supply. On most amplifiers, this is sufficient and it looks like the 339i transformers are of higher quality than the DarkVoice's.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #6,216 of 6,903
Maybe try other ef86?

About the hum in noisy driver, anyone is brave enough to try this mod? 🥺
It's about the noise induce in the drivers by the heaters power.

1. Creating a virtual center tap
2.Elevating the reference of the heater voltage

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/post-16182719

I know it is performed on the 336se, but the idea should be the same for the 339.

I for sure will try his diode mods on the 6as7g socket in Order to slow start the filament heating. But it's another mod that the hum noise mode. It's for protection g tubes from arcing.
I do not have any hum at all with EF86 with Yuking adapter. This is why I don't understand why a mod is necessary. 2 other LF339 sold to 2 others also don't have this problem.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #6,217 of 6,903
Hard to do as I for so long didn't hear the stock 339.
Each step is a small step toward more transparency, better clarity I think.
I really know well my 339 and I listen to my test tracks a lot before and after changing the parts.
Today I received Ohmite audio gold resistor ( the hot one at the output) and again I noticed slighty cleaner and less "resonnance" to the sound, I didn't know was there until I swapped those expensive and non inductive Mills power resistor in yellow aluminium heatsink.

I am waiting for Miflex copper caps to bypass the output coupling caps (first thing you want to upgrade in 339) and the last cap in the power supply array

And am also waiting for the 10 euros of parts necessary to do the LG heaters mod.

Doing that is kind of fun, changing parts and listenning to changes. You can also only upgrade one channel at a time and check on your sanity while comparing both!
Thanks, I am not really a tech person:wink: At the time my amp was with tue doctor to fix some soldering I was told some of the parts are of budget quality. I did not change anything at that time, as I wass afraid that the magic sound of La Figaro may be affected.

Can You list changing what parts is a must/reasonable? Wiring/caps/resistors?

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #6,218 of 6,903
If the hum isn't very bad, might just try a simple virtual center tap before going to the the trouble of elevating the heater supply. On most amplifiers, this is sufficient and it looks like the 339i transformers are of higher quality than the DarkVoice's.
Ok, will do, thanks again!

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #6,219 of 6,903
I do not have any hum at all with EF86 with Yuking adapter. This is why I don't understand why a mod is necessary. 2 other LF339 sold to 2 others also don't have this problem.
You have absolutely zero noise or hum, even when you max out the volume control?
If anyone doesn't feel the need to upgrade the 339, please let it alone in stock form and enjoy it as is! ^^

I am the kind that always want to tinker though. :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #6,220 of 6,903
Thanks, I am not really a tech person:wink: At the time my amp was with tue doctor to fix some soldering I was told some of the parts are of budget quality. I did not change anything at that time, as I wass afraid that the magic sound of La Figaro may be affected.

Can You list changing what parts is a must/reasonable? Wiring/caps/resistors?
Sure I'll try my best, I will list those after I test the heaters mod first.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #6,221 of 6,903
However taken in context of price, LF339i is great value.
This is the key, the quality of sound/price ratio is unique. When I realised how much money I can get for my La Figaro if I sell it I started to wonder... Knowing me I may look for other HP's in a year or so:) then I will still have my Figaro:)

Anyway if I sell it I will not be a legitimate participant of that thread:))) And (seriously) this thread is really unique. It is not only because La Figaro is an awesone amp, it is accessible pricewise and You can do so much about it (modding, changing tubes).

For me La Figaro is an essence of tube audio:)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #6,224 of 6,903
I am not UntilThen, but I have an older Figaro 339 and can confirm I have no hum/noise even with maxed out volume control, its as silent as my SS amp.

Well I'm UntilThen :ksc75smile:

and to satisfy @telecaster , I use my my precious headphone, turn the music off and turn volume to the max on LF339i. I cannot hear a thing ! So quiet I can hear my own breathing. I'm really impressed with the LA FIGARO 339i. I feel the amp is worthy of caps. :jecklinsmile:

Even the skull is staring in disbelief. He hears no hum or noise.

IMG_1952.jpg

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #6,225 of 6,903
This is the key, the quality of sound/price ratio is unique. When I realised how much money I can get for my La Figaro if I sell it I started to wonder...
This is the reason I stop short of selling LF339i because it's better imo than Feliks Audio Elise and Euforia - there is more slam and it's harder hitting. It can also be refined when listening to jazz and classical. I've had much more expensive tube amps and I didn't feel that LF339i is inferior. I feel that it is unique in it's tone.

Now I'm about to sink a lot of money to have Odyssey created. The day when I have to decide whether to sell Wa22 or LF339i, would be a very hard day for me. I can't decide which of the 2 amps to let go. Such is my attachment to them despite having Oblivion, Elekit TU-8200 and Odyssey in August.

Violectric v280 has just been sold ! Auralic Taurus Mk2 is the next to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back