La Figaro 339
Feb 23, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #6,197 of 6,903
I exclusively use my 6084 tubes now in place of EF86.
I encourage others to try out this wonderful tube if you haven't already and will fit the EF86 adapter.
As always YMMV.
I would but I'm chasing so many other tube types at the moment... tubes for LF339i is not a priority for me now. What I have is good enough. Tubes for Elekit and Odyssey are what I'm chasing now.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #6,199 of 6,903
Which ones specifically? Might give a set of two a try.
I have both the Amperex and Siemens versions and are equally good.

I got a pair from this guy but it took almost 3 months from Germany during the Christmas season. Might be better now but ask him first. Also, you can make a best offer so don’t pay full price. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/E80F-6084-...493dad95ad8237cdd9ee|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

BTW...did Head-fi get rid of the preview reply button? I used to proofread with that...

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #6,200 of 6,903
La Figaro show day.

IMG_1945.jpg

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #6,201 of 6,903
Maybe try other ef86?

About the hum in noisy driver, anyone is brave enough to try this mod? 🥺
It's about the noise induce in the drivers by the heaters power.

1. Creating a virtual center tap
2.Elevating the reference of the heater voltage

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/post-16182719

I know it is performed on the 336se, but the idea should be the same for the 339.

I for sure will try his diode mods on the 6as7g socket in Order to slow start the filament heating. But it's another mod that the hum noise mode. It's for protection g tubes from arcing.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #6,203 of 6,903
The ef86 telefunken red tip are your best bet for noiseless ef86. They are superior rated for medical use back then.

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #6,204 of 6,903
La Figaro show day.

Nice:) I see You now have the new black version, which as I understand is a bit warmer. I like the warm sound but I think the old (silver) version is warm enough.

I was not following this thread for a while as my main HPs are now Meze Empyreans, which seems not to be best fit for La Figaro due to low impedance. Thus I have been contemplating selling La Figaro.. However, given how good amp this is and how much money I can get for it I will probably keep it. I have HD 600 I can listen to it with.

A quick question, has anyboty upgraded La Figaro with new resistors/capacitors? I guess the ones in stock are not the best quality. If so what kind of replacement resistors have You used? Any other hints on upgrades would be welcomed.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6,205 of 6,903
Nice:) I see You now have the new black version, which as I understand is a bit warmer. I like the warm sound but I think the old (silver) version is warm enough.

I was not following this thread for a while as my main HPs are now Meze Empyreans, which seems not to be best fit for La Figaro due to low impedance. Thus I have been contemplating selling La Figaro.. However, given how good amp this is and how much money I can get for it I will probably keep it. I have HD 600 I can listen to it with.

A quick question, has anyboty upgraded La Figaro with new resistors/capacitors? I guess the ones in stock are not the best quality. If so what kind of replacement resistors have You used? Any other hints on upgrades would be welcomed.
You have so many options for upgrading the parts. Some are ok quality, and some are not that good. You can replace everything inside, the wiring is so neat.
I just changed some parts again. I will post a photo when I make the LG heaters mod

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,206 of 6,903
You have so many options for upgrading the parts. Some are ok quality, and some are not that good. You can replace everything inside, the wiring is so neat.
I just changed some parts again. I will post a photo when I make the LG heaters mod
Thanks. Can You tell exactly what You have replaced (and for what) and what was the impact on sound? That would be very valuable.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #6,207 of 6,903
Hard to do as I for so long didn't hear the stock 339.
Each step is a small step toward more transparency, better clarity I think.
I really know well my 339 and I listen to my test tracks a lot before and after changing the parts.
Today I received Ohmite audio gold resistor ( the hot one at the output) and again I noticed slighty cleaner and less "resonnance" to the sound, I didn't know was there until I swapped those expensive and non inductive Mills power resistor in yellow aluminium heatsink.

I am waiting for Miflex copper caps to bypass the output coupling caps (first thing you want to upgrade in 339) and the last cap in the power supply array

And am also waiting for the 10 euros of parts necessary to do the LG heaters mod.

Doing that is kind of fun, changing parts and listenning to changes. You can also only upgrade one channel at a time and check on your sanity while comparing both!

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #6,208 of 6,903
I was not following this thread for a while as my main HPs are now Meze Empyreans, which seems not to be best fit for La Figaro due to low impedance.
Do not follow some sections of the general public who will tell you that without even listening to it.

First of all, Yuking the builder of La Figaro 339 state that the OTL amp is good for headphones with impedance of 32 to 600 ohms.

Secondly I've personally use LCD-X (20 ohms), HE1000se (35 ohms) on La Figaro 339 and it synergies as well as if I had use those headphones on Violectric v280 or Auralic Taurus Mk2.

Thirdly, I was in a local meet just 2 weeks ago where the Meze Empyreans was present with two La Figaro. One silver LF339 and the other my black LF339i. I listen with the Meze Empyrean with both LF339s and it was beautiful but maybe a bit warm but at no time did I feel it was not the best fit due to low impedance.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #6,209 of 6,903
Do not follow some sections of the general public who will tell you that without even listening to it.

First of all, Yuking the builder of La Figaro 339 state that the OTL amp is good for headphones with impedance of 32 to 600 ohms.

Secondly I've personally use LCD-X (20 ohms), HE1000se (35 ohms) on La Figaro 339 and it synergies as well as if I had use those headphones on Violectric v280 or Auralic Taurus Mk2.

Thirdly, I was in a local meet just 2 weeks ago where the Meze Empyreans was present with two La Figaro. One silver LF339 and the other my black LF339i. I listen with the Meze Empyrean with both LF339s and it was beautiful but maybe a bit warm but at no time did I feel it was not the best fit due to low impedance.
Thanks. I don't really follow general views without checking. Maybe Meze with La Figaro is not entirely a bad fit, but really Meze can sound a lot better. Maybe it is just that Meze with my Ayon ha3 is a great match and Meze are just shining with beautiful warm sound and tight bas. A lot in audio is about matching things...

Anyway, i will put Tung Sol 5998 (maybe a bit better for Meze) to La Figaro and try again:))

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #6,210 of 6,903
I spend a week with these 3 amps and 2 headphones. I have to decide which of the 3 amps to keep. Ideally I will keep them all because they are that good with my 2 headphones of HE1000se and LCD-3f. However I already have Ovlivion, Elekit combo and Woo Audio Wa22 so I have to let 2 amps go. Besides I'm collecting the Kenwood KA 3300D as well. Also I have Odyssey being built in July 2021. I've more amps than I need.

The 3 amps here are Auralic Taurus Mk2, Violectric v280 and La Figaro339i. After a week of intense listening with my 2 headphones, I choose to keep La Figaro 339i and will sell of the other 2 amps on stereo.net.au.

YMMV but for me both HE1000se and LCD-3f sound best with LF339i. The other 2 are very, very good but I just prefer those headphones on LF339i. It was very hard for me to let the Taurus and v280 go but that's how it is.

IMG_1951.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back