La Figaro 339
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #5,866 of 6,903
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the super dupont mod; thinking about doing the same to my HD800. I feel like I don't mind the 'problems' it has right now but that's only because I haven't heard it another way. I do prefer it over the HD800S for sure, I think there are too many compromises on the bass, treble and soundstage.

I don't know. I am reluctant to super Dupont it even though it's reversible. After I savagely mod the HD650 once, I told myself never to mod another headphone again. The original HD800 is beautiful for what it does. I wouldn't want to change it. Even I do, then I will get a HD800S instead. Btw I back out of the HD800S deal because a trade did not materialise. Anyway I have enough of headphones here to keep me spinning.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #5,867 of 6,903
I don't know. I am reluctant to super Dupont it even though it's reversible. After I savagely mod the HD650 once, I told myself never to mod another headphone again.

I'd do it. It's trivial to install and you'll wonder how you lived without it. That 6k peak is so painfully fierce on the stock can I've never for 10 seconds looked back.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #5,868 of 6,903
I'd do it. It's trivial to install and you'll wonder how you lived without it. That 6k peak is so painfully fierce on the stock can I've never for 10 seconds looked back.

Never had an issue with the original HD800. I have warm sounding headphones like the Atticus and an original HD650 and though I also like those, but I just like the way HD800 is. Not that it's my favourite headphone now. I prefer my He1000se, LCD-3f and LCD-X by miles over it. My son has borrowed the HD800 to play first person shooter games. Say he hears every footsteps and sound. He already had the Arya for music but still use the HD800 for some sniper actions.:)

However when I get a chance to wrest it back from him, I may give it a go just to satisfy myself.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #5,869 of 6,903
I am testing Roon seriously considering it now, and it is really a streamlined library manager option. The parametric eq per endpoint is a revelation for me. I have a STAX 507 system in my bedroom and i can set an eq only for that output. It transform that shouty Lambda you can never imagine!
If a headphone was flawed in the past, it's now corrected with good software. And when that software is as convenient as no software... It's really a bad headphone transform suddenly into a good one.
I don't eq HD800S with Roon. I use the "music" DSP of my Meridian 861. And the HD800D has incredible bass impact. It only need a bass lift that's about it. I love every bit of the hd800S.

Only hear it distorts on the most demanding songs like "wish you were gay" by Eilish. But that's some of the most bass demanding music ever produced.

Never the less as it's my only headphone and i eq'd it to my taste i really am in heaven every single time 🐱
Maybe that's just what the HD800 needs, some eq...

I also have mdr z7 for the rare commute, and i still have hd650 cause it's my first high end. But it's not at all on the hd800S level at all. On 339 the hd650 as everyone here I am sure knows it sounds so good, but hd800 is all better. Especially the grainy mids and trebles and bass and impact and soundst.... And so on.

Sorry for the long one but i want the bling, the leather, the metal, the wood!
I want a perfect bass headphone, and from what I read the lcd3 it is. 😊

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #5,870 of 6,903
Maybe that's just what the HD800 needs, some eq...

I want a perfect bass headphone, and from what I read the lcd3 it is.

I think EQ'ing bass on the HD800 is a great idea and I've pretty much always done that. I think EQ'ing treble or mids on it is a bad idea. The spectacular treble and headstage is because the driver is great but also because of careful design that takes into account all the frequency resonances in the cup. You mess with that FR and in my experience you cause a disturbance in the force.

I've heard LCD series and the Audeze bass is very well extended. I can't deal with planar headstage though, especially the LCD-2/3. The HD6XX/650 are small-ish headstage but the LCD's you have this lack of central placement. Things are very immediate left or immediate right. Drums are spectacular though.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #5,871 of 6,903
I want a perfect bass headphone, and from what I read the lcd3 it is. 😊

If lcd3 bass is still not good enough for you then you need a subwoofer. :)

Also for those with LF339i, can you output to headphone and preamp out to your amp then speakers at the same time? Is there a switch for this? There were several times I was listening to my headphone but Yggdrasil is connected to 3 amps including my integrated amp. I thought I was getting more bass and texture but realised that I also had the speakers going on. :)

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #5,874 of 6,903
I think I might go for the latest lcd3 new instead of the LCD4. In france' the LCD4 is too expensive, and i always buy my headphone new, that is just my OCD. So Lcd3 it is! Gonna buy that new when I find. A good deal. I can't wait!
I recommend to listen first. Lcd3s are very different from each other. I have just sold my lcd3f. There was something piercing me in the hights. Lcd3f are also very heavy, one may be surprised by how big they are. Apart from that, as i mentioned the latest lcd3f sounds very good with La Figaro.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #5,875 of 6,903
Extra benefits for using 4 x CV 4079: it works quite well on low impedance hp! This maybe particularly useful for @bpiotrow13

To use low impedance hp, I have to use LF339i's preamp out to SP200. It is a great combination and takes the advantages of both systems. Nothing wrong with this setup but sometimes less is more. So if we don't have to use another dedicated hp for low impedance hp, we don't.

When I used 5998, I did a few comparisons between the LF339i hp out and the SP200 hp out, I have the following setup

1) DAC -> SP200
2) DAC -> LF 339i
3) DAC -> LF 339i-> SP200

Comparing Setup 2 and 3,

-- LF 339i's bass is a bit loose. Not bad, but not as good as the SP200. The sound is off a bit, and a little bit dull.
Notably in the drum https://tidal.com/browse/album/8013643 and the bass in Tony Benett https://tidal.com/browse/album/2015549

-- Reverb is more and noticeably in the orchestra pieces https://tidal.com/browse/album/166905700 btw, this Telarc recording is very nice and I have CDs on a high end system a while back. Excessive reverb made the sound obscure.

-- Piano is not as full bodied. An example is Prokofiev's Piano Concerto no.2. and Cziffra's Hungarian https://tidal.com/browse/album/4346549

Again, not bad, and surprisingly DAC->LF339i is still better than the Setup 1) DAC->SP200.

If I roll 6080, the difference is more. I believe it is because the transconductance of 6080 is half of the 5998.

While I don't know how the pcb board connects 2 x CV 4079, and how the overall transconductance, I actually feel *no difference* between the setup 2 and 3 tonight!

The drums are as punchy as in both systems, the reverb is as clean but not dry, and the piano can compete with the orchestra in full range.

I know I know, I should get a ZMF at least HD800 for this OTL, but I am quite satisfied with the HE560 in the past, and the Ether Flow Open is superior than HE560 in some ways (and different from HD800 from my past short time listening experience), so I always want to power the EFO using LF 339i.

And now it is my setup for a while (till the next tubes arrive?)
Thanks for this. I have 339 without pre output. It seems that even with sttonger tubes (TS 5998) it is not performing at its best with Empyreans. I will try TS 7236. I have just bought woo wa6 se, maybe this could power meze. If not i guess i would need to sell some gears to finance an amp sufficiently good for meze. Seems i will take a break from my La Figaro for a while.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #5,876 of 6,903
Sorry for the long one but i want the bling, the leather, the metal, the wood!
I want a perfect bass headphone, and from what I read the lcd3 it is.
You know what you are describing?....the ZMF Closed Verite...it has the bling, the leather, the metal, the wood!
But may cost too much in import taxes.:disappointed:

I just received my pair and am breaking them in but first impressions are WOW! I didn't know a closed headphone could sound this good. Great bass extension, warmth without being overbearing, mids that are unmatched and airy highs, it's all there. The soundstage is more intimate than my HD820 but the VC has this holohgraphic quality it imparts on the music, a truly great headphone. Zach is a master of audio engineering.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #5,877 of 6,903
I'll be straight with you here. I love my He1000se, LCD-3f and LCD-X but the other night a friend came over to my place with 2 headphones to try out on my many amps - my place is starting to look a bit like a small head-fi shop !

He brought ZMF Verite Close and HD800S. It was the HD800S driven by Questyle CMA 12 and also by Schiit Mjolnir 2 that really surprised me. The bass was not what I expected. It was impact laden and the soundstage huge. I mean the bass is not like the LCD-3f kind of bass but nevertheless was impactful. I almost wanted to buy a HD800S now but I supposed I should mod my HD800 with the Du Pond mod that I have here. :)

Don't normally quote myself but just wanted to point out that I heard HD800S and ZMF Verite Close the other night. I commented on the HD800S but not the Verite Close. Glad I heard the Verite Close for myself but no comments from me.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #5,878 of 6,903
Thanks for this. I have 339 without pre output. It seems that even with sttonger tubes (TS 5998) it is not performing at its best with Empyreans. I will try TS 7236. I have just bought woo wa6 se, maybe this could power meze. If not i guess i would need to sell some gears to finance an amp sufficiently good for meze. Seems i will take a break from my La Figaro for a while.

You had the Wa22 before you bought LF339. Can't see how WA6 SE would be better than the WA22. Heard the Wa6 se quite a while ago. Would prefer the Wa22 over the Wa6 se any day.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #5,879 of 6,903
@hp4fun you ask this question. 'Thinking of getting a used LCD-3. How does/did it work with the LF339(i)?'

Haven't I been talking about my LCD-3f with LF339 all along? :wink:

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #5,880 of 6,903
I recommend to listen first. Lcd3s are very different from each other. I have just sold my lcd3f. There was something piercing me in the hights. Lcd3f are also very heavy, one may be surprised by how big they are. Apart from that, as i mentioned the latest lcd3f sounds very good with La Figaro.

LCD in whatever model will feel heavy if you've not use one before. Now I've used to the Hekse, I still find going back to the LCD-3f and LCD-X ok but then I'm accustomed to it.

You must be very susceptible to top end sparkle because I don't hear many saying that the LCD-3f is too piercing in the highs. It's has more energy in the top end over the Verite Open that is for sure. Piercing I won't call it. We all have our preference so that's ok. Many headphones out there to choose from. The Atticus I once had is certainly more dial back in the top end and might suit you. Never heard the Empyrean so wouldn't know but from reports, I know it's warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back