La Figaro 339
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #5,896 of 6,903
When did you have two LF339i ? A silver and a black?
i bought a second black one around Xmas time for about $500 U.S. I have just been quiet about it. Some may think I’m crazy but I have 2 Dark Voices too. When I said it was my end game amp I was serious and I wanted a backup just in case and to do upgrades on.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #5,897 of 6,903
Just want to follow this conversation. I have the occasional noise from EF86 on the left channel. Today I roll another pair of driver tubes and rolled back to the EF86, but "accidentally" swap the left and right. I was expecting the noise from the right channel but it disappeared!

It could be the path or the socket converter or whatever reason. I don't want to go down the rabbit hole and check all the socket converters / different pairs EF86 etc, and just want to stay on whatever worked.

Thank you. You verify that I'm not losing it with tube rolling. :)

I am 100% sure when I say that the Mullard 6sj7gt pair had no sound on the left channel but when I switch the drivers from left to right, that issue disappeared. I had stereo sound and it's better than the frigging Royal Albert Hall and Adele was singing in it.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #5,898 of 6,903
@tintinsnowydog

i bought a second black one around Xmas time for about $500 U.S. I have just been quiet about it. Some may think I’m crazy but I have 2 Dark Voices too. When I said it was my end game amp I was serious and I wanted a backup just in case and to do upgrades on.

Hahahahaha UntilThen feels very sane now. :)

What you need to do is to go forth and multiply i.e get more tube amps and amps.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #5,899 of 6,903

Wait what? A (slightly used) 339i for $500? I will buy one at that price just for backup too!

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #5,900 of 6,903
Wait what? A (slightly used) 339i for $500? I will buy one at that price just for backup too!
This purchase has a good story behind it...

it was actually brand new on eBay for $600 shipped from Virginia to South Carolina but when I got it the stock power vacuum tubes were smashed inside the box and a few scratches were on the amp from the glass on the transformers mainly. I photographed everything and sent it to the seller and asked if he had checked it before he shipped it. He stated he had not and refunded $100 for my trouble. I just think he did not pack it correctly as he took pictures of it to sell and the tubes just bounced around in the box. I cleaned up the glass, had the extra tubes of course, and touched up the scratches with a sharpie and a special anodized pen used for gun blueing. Looks good as new. 😉

https://www.ebay.com/itm/La-Figaro-...tM5cvBz00I%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #5,901 of 6,903
This purchase has a good story behind it...

it was actually brand new on eBay for $600 shipped from Virginia to South Carolina but when I got it the stock power vacuum tubes were smashed inside the box and a few scratches were on the amp from the glass on the transformers mainly. I photographed everything and sent it to the seller and asked if he had checked it before he shipped it. He stated he had not and refunded $100 for my trouble. I just think he did not pack it correctly as he took pictures of it to sell and the tubes just bounced around in the box. I cleaned up the glass, had the extra tubes of course, and touched up the scratches with a sharpie and a special anodized pen used for gun blueing. Looks good as new. 😉

https://www.ebay.com/itm/La-Figaro-339i-Tube-Amp-New-In-Sealed-Box-/184556180022?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=1FKZvT4KVwgXje7HTtM5cvBz00I%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I am one of the first few in the States who got it in drop.com. It wasn't well packed to begin with and one of the stock tubes has a buzz, which I think it was broken inside after the shocks during shipping.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5,902 of 6,903
What kind of upgrades are people thinking of making to their La Figaro 339? I was looking over the circuit this morning, it is very similar to the Darkvoice, the major differences being the dual mono power supply, the paralleled sections of the output tubes, the triode-strapped pentode driver, and increased output capacitance, which the Darkvoice badly needs.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #5,903 of 6,903
What kind of upgrades are people thinking of making to their La Figaro 339? I was looking over the circuit this morning, it is very similar to the Darkvoice, the major differences being the dual mono power supply, the paralleled sections of the output tubes, the triode-strapped pentode driver, and increased output capacitance, which the Darkvoice badly needs.
Thanks @L0rdGwyn for reaching out. Once you had a chance to mess around with my DV I was thinking of sending you my 339i in if I could for an overall tune-up. I would mainly be looking for just upgraded guts like better capacitors, sockets, etc if warranted. The end game for me would be to make this beast purr by lowering the noise induced by the amp and any other suggestions you could make that I may not have thought of due to my naivety in amp building.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #5,904 of 6,903
I would be interested in that as well. When my La Figaro was at amp doctor he told me capacitors are of very budget quality and suggested a change into Mundorf or Vishay. I am not planning any upgrades now (seems will not be using La Figaro a lot now), but in a long run i will be thinking to change capacitors. I would like to avoid any moves detrimental to the sound so any views with this regard will be helpful.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #5,905 of 6,903
Thanks @L0rdGwyn for reaching out. Once you had a chance to mess around with my DV I was thinking of sending you my 339i in if I could for an overall tune-up. I would mainly be looking for just upgraded guts like better capacitors, sockets, etc if warranted. The end game for me would be to make this beast purr by lowering the noise induced by the amp and any other suggestions you could make that I may not have thought of due to my naivety in amp building.

Gotcha, well let's see how the DV mods turn out first and go from there! Making some more progress today, took some bias point measurements, I have some ideas on how to mount the new PCBs as well. Need to find a heat sink for the power supply regulator...all in good time :)

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #5,906 of 6,903
Figaro has landed and in a word, it's amazing. Quality of fit and finish surpass my expectations on this new model. I am totally caught off guard. Volume knob turning is very smooth !

1st impression with RCA 5693 and Tung Sol 7236 is you don't need better because better is already here. Any notion of me wanting to upgrade this LF339i is out of the window now. It's simply gorgeous sounding and no hum, no hiss, no noise until 1 o'clock. That is very good !

Not having my previous gorgeous silver LF339 to compare, I'd say I really love this tone but I've not use Tung Sol 7236 in my previous LF339, only in my previous, previous version which is @Bruc3 version which I sold to him. Now my previous version is going to @xtiva and current version will stay with me for eternity. :)

So if you haven't already gotten a LF339i (the latest model with preamp) and you're on the fence, run and don't walk to get one !

IMG_1745.jpg

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #5,907 of 6,903
Figaro has landed and in a word, it's amazing. Quality of fit and finish surpass my expectations on this new model. I am totally caught off guard. Volume knob turning is very smooth !

1st impression with RCA 5693 and Tung Sol 7236 is you don't need better because better is already here. Any notion of me wanting to upgrade this LF339i is out of the window now. It's simply gorgeous sounding and no hum, no hiss, no noise until 1 o'clock. That is very good !

Not having my previous gorgeous silver LF339 to compare, I'd say I really love this tone but I've not use Tung Sol 7236 in my previous LF339, only in my previous, previous version which is @Bruc3 version which I sold to him. Now my previous version is going to @xtiva and current version will stay with me for eternity. :)

So if you haven't already gotten a LF339i (the latest model with preamp) and you're on the fence, run and don't walk to get one !

IMG_1745.jpg
Was your new La Figaro a special order? Does it have non-standard/upgrade components? It looks as though it could star in “The Amps of Navarone”...

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #5,908 of 6,903
Was your new La Figaro a special order? Does it have non-standard/upgrade components? It looks as though it could star in “The Amps of Navarone”...

No I bought it from a friend who has many amps, most much more expensive than LF339i. He bought it on my recommendation from ShenZhenAudio as a standard LF339i. He was very impressed by LF339i and said Mogwai Se just pip it for the excitement stake. Said LF339i is a fun fun fun amp with incredible value for money.

So as usual he sells his gear and his LF339i is only 2 months old. :) and the unit is in tip top shape with no blemish, dents or whatever issues. It's perfect ! The tube sockets are new and so tight ! The RCA in and out are gleaming with gold ! The black finish is blacker than black !

Now I'll get my commission from Yuking. :xf_cool:

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #5,909 of 6,903
A quick a/b between LF339i and Wa22 confirms why I prefer LF339i more. Soundstage is much wider and it sounds more powerful and it is more powerful.

This new model LF339i sound smoother than my LF339 from memory. Not roll off, just smoother and yet sparklingly clear. I need confirmation by getting both LF339 side by side but from hearing the standard LF339i, Yuking have nail it.

Would love to open up the covers of both LF339 and LF339i later for photoshoot. It is however as hot as the previous LF339, maybe a bit less hot. The 2 semi naked power transformers are better looking in real life. I use to think that the old model looks better but my mind is changed now after seeing this LF339i in the flesh. It is definitely better looking than the LF339. The 2 handles are very smooth and nice to touch even if they serve no purpose. Just add to the La Figaro 339i unique look.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #5,910 of 6,903

IMG_1745.jpg
Nice! Btw what is the Forza cable You are using? Is it the same cable plugged to La Figaro and to Audeze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back