La Figaro 339
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #5,777 of 6,903
I prefer the CV4079s over the A2293s. Not sure if they are supposed to be the exact same tube with the same sonic properties, but I hear a difference. Or at least I think I hear a difference, in that the Cv4079s have better bass. I'm full on team CV4079!

Tried Google but not much info. What's the diff and/or history of a2293, cv4079 and cv 8089?

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #5,778 of 6,903
Extra benefits for using 4 x CV 4079: it works quite well on low impedance hp! This maybe particularly useful for @bpiotrow13

To use low impedance hp, I have to use LF339i's preamp out to SP200. It is a great combination and takes the advantages of both systems. Nothing wrong with this setup but sometimes less is more. So if we don't have to use another dedicated hp for low impedance hp, we don't.

When I used 5998, I did a few comparisons between the LF339i hp out and the SP200 hp out, I have the following setup

1) DAC -> SP200
2) DAC -> LF 339i
3) DAC -> LF 339i-> SP200

Comparing Setup 2 and 3,

-- LF 339i's bass is a bit loose. Not bad, but not as good as the SP200. The sound is off a bit, and a little bit dull.
Notably in the drum https://tidal.com/browse/album/8013643 and the bass in Tony Benett https://tidal.com/browse/album/2015549

-- Reverb is more and noticeably in the orchestra pieces https://tidal.com/browse/album/166905700 btw, this Telarc recording is very nice and I have CDs on a high end system a while back. Excessive reverb made the sound obscure.

-- Piano is not as full bodied. An example is Prokofiev's Piano Concerto no.2. and Cziffra's Hungarian https://tidal.com/browse/album/4346549

Again, not bad, and surprisingly DAC->LF339i is still better than the Setup 1) DAC->SP200.

If I roll 6080, the difference is more. I believe it is because the transconductance of 6080 is half of the 5998.

While I don't know how the pcb board connects 2 x CV 4079, and how the overall transconductance, I actually feel *no difference* between the setup 2 and 3 tonight!

The drums are as punchy as in both systems, the reverb is as clean but not dry, and the piano can compete with the orchestra in full range.

I know I know, I should get a ZMF at least HD800 for this OTL, but I am quite satisfied with the HE560 in the past, and the Ether Flow Open is superior than HE560 in some ways (and different from HD800 from my past short time listening experience), so I always want to power the EFO using LF 339i.

And now it is my setup for a while (till the next tubes arrive?)

Very interesting that you like the SP200 in the mix and LF339i also.

That's my opinion too. When I get hold of the LF339i, I'll verify this experiment of yours. Meanwhile I have the LCD-3f back in my stable and it's like new now ! :)

Also while at Minidisc, I sample my end game setup. Have a look at this post.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1101-audio-custom-crafted-headphone-amps.919425/post-16109211

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #5,779 of 6,903
Jan 16, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #5,780 of 6,903
Yeah, it was not a major difference. I'm talking slight, like 5%; something small like that. Well in the realm of variance in tube age, my moods at the particular times, or my mind just saying "those sound better than those". Either way, they both bring the thunder in the 339!

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #5,781 of 6,903
Yeah, it was not a major difference. I'm talking slight, like 5%; something small like that. Well in the realm of variance in tube age, my moods at the particular times, or my mind just saying "those sound better than those". Either way, they both bring the thunder in the 339!
You are right about the thunder...love the baby 👶 tubes.

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #5,782 of 6,903
Ok time for a fun question.

When handling your tubes during tube rolling do you use a glove or cloth to insert/remove your tubes? Or nothing at all? What is your method?

I used to use white gloves but now I will just use a cloth to put them in and wipe of any oils from my fingers. When removing when cool or course I remove them with are hands.

There isn’t much discussion on this whether hand oils can harm the tube but for the price some of us have paid for these tubes I think it is worth it. I would think if the oils built up over time that it could increase the heat of the tube and possibly shorten the life of the tube. So I do wipe them down plus I don’t want to see any finger prints through the tube glow. :)

So what do others do?

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #5,783 of 6,903
I pull it out with my teeth or use my 2 toes. Can't damage the hands because they are required for the golf swing. When I had the Primuluna Dialogue Premium HP, it came with a pair of very nice white gloves to handle the eight big KT88 and later if you want, you can roll in KT150. So yes you need gloves then because 8 of those cost alot.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #5,784 of 6,903
Ok time for a fun question.

When handling your tubes during tube rolling do you use a glove or cloth to insert/remove your tubes? Or nothing at all? What is your method?

I used to use white gloves but now I will just use a cloth to put them in and wipe of any oils from my fingers. When removing when cool or course I remove them with are hands.

There isn’t much discussion on this whether hand oils can harm the tube but for the price some of us have paid for these tubes I think it is worth it. I would think if the oils built up over time that it could increase the heat of the tube and possibly shorten the life of the tube. So I do wipe them down plus I don’t want to see any finger prints through the tube glow. :)

So what do others do?

Fabric winter garden gloves. but don't use plastic ones, because the heat stays in plastic for long and burns through even if the layer is thick.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #5,785 of 6,903
It is just that Figaro for Mozart who is the most famous freemasons in music history, the black and white reference for the checker board masonic floor, and the 33 is pretty obvious masonic reference, but that is just me maybe ^^

7108e4548e4a6230570946ca00647999.jpg
Yuking stated years ago in this thread that La Nozze de Figaro was his favorite Opera, no further explanation was given.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #5,786 of 6,903
Very interesting that you like the SP200 in the mix and LF339i also.

That's my opinion too. When I get hold of the LF339i, I'll verify this experiment of yours. Meanwhile I have the LCD-3f back in my stable and it's like new now ! :)

Also while at Minidisc, I sample my end game setup. Have a look at this post.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1101-audio-custom-crafted-headphone-amps.919425/post-16109211

Thinking of getting a used LCD-3. How does/did it work with the LF339(i)?

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #5,787 of 6,903
There is the Mullard EF80 mesh on the left LF339, with Bendix 6080wb. The right LF339 has RCA 5693 and Svetlana 6N13S.

Now one LF339 is in Sydney and the other in Canberra. They are apart now. :relaxed:

I ordered my Svetlana 6H5C (which is similar to 6N13S) long time ago and just arrived. I tried and have a mixed feeling about it.

Sure it is not comparable to any of the top options but it is also only 1/10 of the cost.

It has a wide soundstage. Wider than many cheap 6080s. But the bass is loose, the sound is less refined, the high is not that dry but seems a bit uneven.

So I went back to this thread and see the discussions and found your picture not long ago.

My question is: why you use them? anything I can improve it these are better-than-average tubes?

I am using EF86. Maybe I should try 5693? Basically American-Russian joint force instead of GB+Russian joint force....

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #5,788 of 6,903
I ordered my Svetlana 6H5C (which is similar to 6N13S) long time ago and just arrived. I tried and have a mixed feeling about it.

Sure it is not comparable to any of the top options but it is also only 1/10 of the cost.

It has a wide soundstage. Wider than many cheap 6080s. But the bass is loose, the sound is less refined, the high is not that dry but seems a bit uneven.

So I went back to this thread and see the discussions and found your picture not long ago.

My question is: why you use them? anything I can improve it these are better-than-average tubes?

I am using EF86. Maybe I should try 5693? Basically American-Russian joint force instead of GB+Russian joint force....
I find it ironic that the Russian tubes have wings and the American RCAs are known as “reds” :beyersmile:

1610860073080.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #5,789 of 6,903

These are the world best kept secrets. Svetlana 6h13 are the jewels of the Nile. :wink:

Jokes aside, they are very ordinary sounding tubes. Keeps you warm in the cold russian winters. What else do you expect for that price. You'd be lucky it even produce any music !

Again jokes aside, plan Jane they may be in looks and sound but acceptable when the world's supply of 5998, 7236, Gec 6as7g, Bendix 6080wb, RCA 6as7g runs out. Ah including the Mullard 6080.

Why did I use it then in that picture? My only good tubes with me then was the Bendix 6080wb. All the other good tubes with the Wa22 which at that time was with my son. I let him sample my gear. :wink:

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #5,790 of 6,903
These are the world best kept secrets. Svetlana 6h13 are the jewels of the Nile. :wink:

Jokes aside, they are very ordinary sounding tubes. Keeps you warm in the cold russian winters. What else do you expect for that price. You'd be lucky it even produce any music !

Again jokes aside, plan Jane they may be in looks and sound but acceptable when the world's supply of 5998, 7236, Gec 6as7g, Bendix 6080wb, RCA 6as7g runs out. Ah including the Mullard 6080.

Why did I use it then in that picture? My only good tubes with me then was the Bendix 6080wb. All the other good tubes with the Wa22 which at that time was with my son. I let him sample my gear. :wink:

The (only?) time I found them amusing was when I played Shostakovich's Leningrad by the Leningrad Philharmonic led by Mravinsky, old Melodia recording remastered, probably. Team Russia rocks!

Honestly I think they are better than many cheap 6080s in many ways. I don't regret getting them ($25 a pair shipped from Ukraine) but it is in a different league and need to be judged by a different standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back