1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Jan 16, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #361 of 1,278
I currently have Feliks-Audio Elise although follow this thread with interest as I plot my future :ksc75smile:. Question: Will my 6L6 / KT88 adapters (from @Deyan ) --> allow me to use TT21 in Elise or do I need different adapters, anode cap etc...
Not quite sure I know what you mean. I have TT21 to KT88 adapters for my Mac amps. I definitely can't use 6L6 with those amps.

I have an upcoming amp from Mischa as well, I asked Mischa to build me an OTL amp that would run on 6AS7Gs, with the 6J5Gs or 6SN7. Because the BH was originally designed to operate without power tubes, I also asked him if he could incorporate a switch to change the operational mode of the amp (with or without distortion from power tubes). He came back after a few days and told me he could install a bypass circuitry with a switch, and it would be a complicated build. He probably should patent it 😆

Mischa is a great guy, and a talented amp builder, can’t wait to see his creations here in the upcoming months and years.
I'm very happy with my OTL amp from Mischa using 6AS7G and 6J5 or 6SN7. I think having the 6SN7 socket is still nice to have, as it allows you to use ECC32 and ECC33 and a whole bunch of other tubes with adapters (and of course 6SN7!). I also have a 6080/5998 switch that you might want to consider.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #362 of 1,278
Mischa is a great guy, and a talented amp builder, can’t wait to see his creations here in the upcoming months and years.
I have corresponded with Mischa a few months ago, and agree he's a great guy and very knowledgeable! Good chance my next amp, once I decide what I want, will be commissioned to him :wink:
I have 2 tube amps built by Glenn (GOTL and 6EL3N) which I love. Glenn is also a great guy, but he seems to be buried deep in build commitments so the wait is extra long...

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #363 of 1,278
I'm very happy with my OTL amp from Mischa using 6AS7G and 6J5 or 6SN7. I think having the 6SN7 socket is still nice to have, as it allows you to use ECC32 and ECC33 and a whole bunch of other tubes with adapters (and of course 6SN7!). I also have a 6080/5998 switch that you might want to consider.

Your amp is the inspiration for this upcoming amp of mine 😉

I am not sure about the power tube selector switch, but I did mention to him that I want to run 6x6BX7 tubes, or 4/2 x 6080/5998/6AS7G.

edit: I’d like to think it’s a smaller version of your amp 😊

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #364 of 1,278
Not quite sure I know what you mean. I have TT21 to KT88 adapters for my Mac amps. I definitely can't use 6L6 with those amps.

Noted, thanks. Do the TT21 adapters require a wire from base to anode cap?

I thought ECC32 primary difference is higher heater current, and they could be used in 6SN7 socket w/o adapter, correct?

Thanks for helping me learn how to roll without blowing up my amp!!! :sweat_smile:

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #365 of 1,278
I've been lurking this thread for awhile. I first PMed @A2029 last year about the Blue Halo amp but decided to hold off till I move back to the states. Then a few days ago I asked Mischa about making a build similar to @Zachik. Happy to say I've put my deposit down for a KT150 amp like @Xcalibur255 and a bit of inspiration from @leftside build as well. Mischa has been very patient with my questions and helpful in explaining the many options as I am new to tube amps. Now to go down this rabbit hole of buying tubes!

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #366 of 1,278
I just came back from https://www.minidisc.com.au/ to collect my LCD-3f. Totally renewed. Very pleased with new headband and new earpads and new yoke.

While there I ask to audition Susvara with Chord Hugo TT 2 and M'Scaler. As expected it's a neutral, transparent tone, full of details and clarity. Not as bright as SMSL SP200 of course. Up the volume and it can go loud but it does not move me. I think I am too used to the organic 3D tone of tube amps.
IMG_1697.jpg

Then I had the Auris Nirvana added to the mix. So :-
Chord Hugo TT2 (AUD$8500) + M'Scaler (AUd$7500) > Auris Nirvana (AUD $9299) > HiFiMan Susvara (AUD $7499).

Now it's a lovely organic 3D tone but with so much details and clarity. I could totally love Susvara in this setup but that's a total cost of AUD $32,800. I don't think I'll forget this 2 hours audition. It's a dream. All items in this setup is pure class in build and SQ. Seriously this is end game for me.
IMG_1698.jpg

Having said that, I actually prefer what I heard in the shop 3 weeks ago. Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD-4. Perhaps not as detailed as the above but the visceral impact is there due to LCD-4. Susvara is lighter in tone but can still kick the heck out of kick drums but just not as hard as LCD-4. However tonally Susvara is like a group of angels singing. I'm moved with this setup.

So out of this, I realise that I like a tube amp that runs on EL34 and not out straight from Hugo TT2 + M'Scaler. My opinion of course. I have not heard one with KT88 or KT150 and if I did, I might like that too. So will see how Xcalibur and Leftside amps turn out to be and impressions. I have Yggdrasil and He1000se. Get another LCD-4 and another EL34 transformer coupled tube amp and I'm set plus I get to keep the Schiit Moljnir 2 and Violectric v280 and La Figaro 339i and Woo Audio Wa22 and Oblivion. :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #368 of 1,278
I can't wait to see @leftside amp when it is completed. I am a huge fan of the EL34 tube and now that he has a dictionary of info on that tube...this is going to be fun.
I often wonder what the EL34 tube sounds like when being pushed a little bit harder than the 250 volts that mine are...but then I think, the tubes should last longer and there should be less distortion at 250 volts.

Regardless, these tubes sound great and I am excited to see this amp.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #369 of 1,278
EL34 on Auris Nirvana sound so smooth and yet powerful and forceful. Having heard that, I don't think I need to use my EL12 spez anymore.

Likewise I'm waiting to see Leftside's forthcoming EL34 amp. I have a feeling it's going to be just great - or sensational. :) Of course all eyes will be on Mischa because he's the creator. :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #371 of 1,278
After hearing the end game system today, I decided to buy these 3 amps from the shop so I can run them in series or parallel. Need to think outside the box, right @UsoppNoKami @bcowen ?

IMG_1696.jpg

I don't see even a hint of a tube in there. Fail. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #372 of 1,278
I don't see even a hint of a tube in there. Fail. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
UT has switched to the dark side :scream:
What's next? Beats headphones?

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #373 of 1,278

Not everything in life requires tubes. Do you have tubes in your 4k TV? :wink:

UT has switched to the dark side :scream:
What's next? Beats headphones?

I'm buying over Beats and revamping the whole lineup. It will sound great with Beat It. :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #374 of 1,278
Your amp is the inspiration for this upcoming amp of mine 😉

I am not sure about the power tube selector switch, but I did mention to him that I want to run 6x6BX7 tubes, or 4/2 x 6080/5998/6AS7G.

edit: I’d like to think it’s a smaller version of your amp 😊
This is the amp that Mischa wanted to build for me! I insisted on six 5998/6080/6AS7G power tubes, and Mischa said "but that is going to require a ridiculous power supply" I said "yes I know" :)

Noted, thanks. Do the TT21 adapters require a wire from base to anode cap?

I thought ECC32 primary difference is higher heater current, and they could be used in 6SN7 socket w/o adapter, correct?

Thanks for helping me learn how to roll without blowing up my amp!!! :sweat_smile:
Yes TT21 adapters require a wire from base to anode cap. No adapter required for ECC32.

EL34 on Auris Nirvana sound so smooth and yet powerful and forceful. Having heard that, I don't think I need to use my EL12 spez anymore.
I'm looking forward to using EL12 and spez with this amp! Already have the adapters and am using the tubes in my DAC and preamp.

There is a great seller in the US who I've purchased from before who is selling GEC KT88. I just grabbed a pair as they are a very early version. First version and first year (N) with that glass shape, and the single getter at the top. Later 1950's versions have the 3 getters (two at the side and one at the top). He also has another pair with the single getter at the top and only 2 years newer.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649695132-original-genalex-kt-88s-4

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #375 of 1,278
I'm looking forward to using EL12 and spez with this amp! Already have the adapters and am using the tubes in my DAC and preamp.

Do you mind posting a very nice picture of the EL12 spez with the adapters on your dac? I want to see if the adapter is nice and worthy of getting. I'm OCD and adapters or anything has to be near perfect. :) So far I think Woo Audio adapters are ok... or more than ok. Those from china are just so ..... well what can I say. I try to blindfold myself when using them.

You have just make me very keen to see the outcome of your amp now. If I can run EL34 and EL12 spez or EL11 or EL12 or EL12n on that amp then that's sufficient. Problem is adapters kills me. Unless Mischa can get a multi-function tube socket for EL34 and EL12 haha.... please tell me it's possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back