1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Jan 15, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #348 of 1,281
I've seen 5998a that are labelled IBM but not 5998 and we do know those are 2 entirely different tubes. Heard both and the 5998a is not fit for my ears consumption. :)

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #350 of 1,281
In another development, Elon Mask twittered buy 'Signal Advance' and shares in that medical company rose 11,708 per cent in just 3 days. What the investors didn't realise was that Elon was actually saying use 'Signal' in response to using Whatsapp.

Difference in 5998 and 5998a could have disastrous effect lol.

Just kidding but developments these days are astonishing. The world we live in....

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #351 of 1,281
That's a bit discouraging @UntilThen. I've been hunting for a pair of GEC KT88's for over a year and can't find any in good condition (ideally NOS) that aren't selling for my than my first car. The hunt continues!
KT88 in good condition are harder to find than KT66 in good condition. NOS very rarely come up for sale. The fading/browning getter flashing on the sides give those away as being well used. And if they came up for sale and you purchased them, would you use them? I'd feel guilty. This is why I prefer lightly used tubes. TT21 (with adapters) is an alternative, but those are getting pricey these days as well. Luckily the new production Gold Lion are very good!

The ones that UntilThen showed are from the 1970's, so not as desirable as the ones from the 1950's, but they do indeed look NOS.

Did you know, the very first version KT88 had a brown base and different shaped glass. Good luck finding those :)

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #352 of 1,281
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #353 of 1,281
They seem to be rare and expensive. One of the design goals for the amp was that it not be crazy expensive to tube and re-tube while still sounding great. I also like the power output I'm going to be able to get from the KT150. It's pretty hard to get above 10 watts single-ended without doing crazy voltages and stuff like the 211 or 840 which was a league above where I wanted to go.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #354 of 1,281
I currently have Feliks-Audio Elise although follow this thread with interest as I plot my future :ksc75smile:. Question: Will my 6L6 / KT88 adapters (from @Deyan ) --> allow me to use TT21 in Elise or do I need different adapters, anode cap etc...

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #355 of 1,281
I have an upcoming amp from Mischa as well, I asked Mischa to build me an OTL amp that would run on 6AS7Gs, with the 6J5Gs or 6SN7. Because the BH was originally designed to operate without power tubes, I also asked him if he could incorporate a switch to change the operational mode of the amp (with or without distortion from power tubes). He came back after a few days and told me he could install a bypass circuitry with a switch, and it would be a complicated build. He probably should patent it 😆

Mischa is a great guy, and a talented amp builder, can’t wait to see his creations here in the upcoming months and years.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #356 of 1,281
What’s that mean with or without distortions on power tubes. What would that do. Just trying to understand from a layman’s perspective.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #357 of 1,281
What’s that mean with or without distortions on power tubes. What would that do. Just trying to understand from a layman’s perspective.

Basically it means to turn the power tubes on or off that’s all 😂 but to do that simple operation would still require a complicated circuitry due to the supercharger in the amp that can’t be turned off.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #358 of 1,281
If the supercharger portion of the circuit acts as a gain stage or has gain of its own then such a switch would allow the amp to operate in a solid state mode if desired. That's the way I interpret it anyway, maybe I'm wrong. :)

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #359 of 1,281
If the supercharger portion of the circuit acts as a gain stage or has gain of its own then such a switch would allow the amp to operate in a solid state mode if desired. That's the way I interpret it anyway, maybe I'm wrong. :)
🤔 That would be very cool, 2 different amps in one. Like a distortion pedal effect on a guitar.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #360 of 1,281

Not quite, the supercharger essentially works in tandem with the tube by pulling a constant current as a sink. It has no gain of its own and if working properly pulls a constant current no matter what voltage is at the tube anode, such that the tube fully determines the voltage swing that occurs at the anode. The voltage at the tube anode is determined by a constant current source that keeps approx 6.2mA passing through the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back