La Figaro 339
Jan 11, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #5,671 of 6,903
@Ultrainferno would probably have both versions of Bendix 6080wb. Some are flat plate square edge slots, other curse edge - and they are Bendix. I doubt he would be bothered to compare them now. :)

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #5,672 of 6,903
@Ultrainferno would probably have both versions of Bendix 6080wb. Some are flat plate square edge slots, other curse edge - and they are Bendix. I doubt he would be bothered to compare them now. :)

There are many more versions, all described by me and others in the 6AS7G tube rolling thread. I have most of the but not all.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #5,673 of 6,903
No one has owned the Senn HD820 and used it on the 339? I am really itching for that headphone ^^

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #5,674 of 6,903
Good insight! Me too, I don't know if it's because of the musician in me, or the age, but I really just enjoy music with what I have and don't look for new gear unless I really need it though!
Still, I am curious, I think you own a Sennheiser HD820 right?
If yes could you compare it to the HD800 or the HD650 on the LF339 please?
I have already the HD800S, but I am alway curious about headphone from this brand!
I search a long time but didn't see a clear review of HD820 on the 339...
Thanks in advance!
I do own the HD820s but I cannot compare it to the others you mention as I do not own them.
Here is the page for their freq response: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd820-measurements.890802/

223 pages of people’s opinions here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd820.846244/page-223

I love my Senn HD820’s but they are very finicky.
I love them when they are tight against my head and that is only accomplished in my recliner with a propped pillow and the soundscape is quite large. The bass in these is full and mods are detailed for what you would expect from a Sennheiser. My complaint is that there are ZERO after market pads for these and I think it would help these cans win over more fans. If the pads were thicker the seal would be better as the clamping force of these are weak. The only pads are Sennheiser pads and they are too thin IMO.
I think they are a great set of headphones but I would get them used as I did as paying full price for these is not worth it when there are others like ZMF which may be better. I have the Utopias and waiting on a pair of ZMF Verite closed. Once I get the ZMF I may reevaluate if the Senns still have a place in my lineup. I have a feeling it will be somewhere in between.

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #5,675 of 6,903
I do own the HD820s but I cannot compare it to the others you mention as I do not own them.
Here is the page for their freq response: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd820-measurements.890802/

223 pages of people’s opinions here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd820.846244/page-223

I love my Senn HD820’s but they are very finicky.
I love them when they are tight against my head and that is only accomplished in my recliner with a propped pillow and the soundscape is quite large. The bass in these is full and mods are detailed for what you would expect from a Sennheiser. My complaint is that there are ZERO after market pads for these and I think it would help these cans win over more fans. If the pads were thicker the seal would be better as the clamping force of these are weak. The only pads are Sennheiser pads and they are too thin IMO.
I think they are a great set of headphones but I would get them used as I did as paying full price for these is not worth it when there are others like ZMF which may be better. I have the Utopias and waiting on a pair of ZMF Verite closed. Once I get the ZMF I may reevaluate if the Senns still have a place in my lineup. I have a feeling it will be somewhere in between.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it seems I have to do my homework on these as it is not a clear cut.
And by digging the newer high end cans, seems like there are a lot of competition, which is good!
I am also intrigued by the Arya on the 339. Seems like a good complementary buddy to my HD800S.
As I mainly use the HD800S for so long now, I am so used to them though, I really tuned my 339 with them, and I now really know the sonics of the different tubes. My new favorite now are the Telefunken 6080 with L63/6J5G. They seem to be more airy and transparent than my GEC 6AS7G, it's really a good match with the HD800S IMHO.

Cheers!

Jan 12, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #5,676 of 6,903
That's going to be an interesting test. :) Best bass - impact and details? Let me listen for a couple of days and I'll get back to you.

It's the T1.2 not the T1.1. The later version has boosted bass.

I was actually enjoying the HD800 with LF339 for it's intoxicating details until you pose this question. So now we have to consider bass. That means HD800 is definitely off the radar. My first thought would be:-

1. LCD-3f
2. T1.2
3. Verite

Now as I compensate the volume for each headphone, I'm not so sure. :) T1.2 certainly have the high frequencies dial back compared to the other 2, so you'll loose a bit of details compared to the other 2 but the bass is lower.

That said all 3 headphones are certainly enjoyable with Yggdrasil > La Figaro 339. Very different presentation though.

So you had to go and talk about the LCD-X recently in this thread........now I'm thinking about that headphone seriously. Any comments on how the LCD-X stacks up against these three in regards to bass? How does mid-bass, sub-bass, and impact/slam compare?

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #5,677 of 6,903
Thanks a lot for the feedback, it seems I have to do my homework on these as it is not a clear cut.
And by digging the newer high end cans, seems like there are a lot of competition, which is good!
I am also intrigued by the Arya on the 339. Seems like a good complementary buddy to my HD800S.
As I mainly use the HD800S for so long now, I am so used to them though, I really tuned my 339 with them, and I now really know the sonics of the different tubes. My new favorite now are the Telefunken 6080 with L63/6J5G. They seem to be more airy and transparent than my GEC 6AS7G, it's really a good match with the HD800S IMHO.

Cheers!

I hear ya. When you find the right combination for your headphones and music style the hunt was well worth it.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #5,678 of 6,903
So you had to go and talk about the LCD-X recently in this thread........now I'm thinking about that headphone seriously. Any comments on how the LCD-X stacks up against these three in regards to bass? How does mid-bass, sub-bass, and impact/slam compare?

Sorry almost missed this. In terms of bass, the X is on par with LCD3 but tighter. Audeze bass is the most impactful and I love planar. No substitute for it. Verite bass is more mid bass and even though it does extends low but the bass weight is not the same as the 3 or X.

Beyer T1.2 bass is also tighter and feed it with power and it will lift off but again not as satisfying as the planar bass.

So if your ears are like mine, go for the LCD-X. I love it even with LF339 but I’ve a lot of ss amps now. See my signature.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #5,680 of 6,903
Sadly I’ve traded my LF339 with my friend’s Schiit Mjolnir 2. Love both actually. So will probably be buying LF339i

I have a few schiit prods in the past (low end though). They always seem to have a lot of power, but not musical / refined enough. I haven't seen anyone who have both Mjolnir and LF 339 (or did a comparison). How do you feel?

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #5,681 of 6,903
I have a few schiit prods in the past (low end though). They always seem to have a lot of power, but not musical / refined enough. I haven't seen anyone who have both Mjolnir and LF 339 (or did a comparison). How do you feel?

I like the Mjolnir 2 to buy it (after hearing it) and to trade one of my amps for it but my friend has the SPL Phonitor X and he use a HD800 because he is strictly a classical music lover. To pair with his transparent Phonitor X, he would like a tube amp. He heard my WA22 and love it immediately but I am running my good tubes - Ken Rad and TS 5998. He also felt that the Wa22 cost to much for him. He knows I have a LF339 and that I love it. So I knew he would like my LF339 very much.

So sadly, I said yes. 2 reasons. 1. to be kind to my friend. 2. To be able to buy a new black LF339i with preamp. :wink:

If you ask me which I prefer - Mjolnir 2 vs LF 339. I would lean towards LF339 but I like the Mjolnir enough to want to own it so that my Yggdrasil will have a matching tube amp. I had already sold off the Ragnarok 3 years ago. Not sure why I sold it but gear comes and goes for me. I'm still on an audio journey, like the Monkey goes West story. :k701smile:

Tube amp if executed properly always sound more musical. Solid state has the punch to planars that few tube amps can match. It's tight and more neutral. 2 polar opposites. I like both. In fact, I'll be culling some of my amps to also get a Violectric v590 or Niimbus or a Benchmark HPA4. I'm at a stage of my journey where I start to appreciate solid states or hybrid as well as tube amps. So 2 ss/hybrid and 2 tube amps. :wink: Or maybe 3 of each lol. Then I need to get LCD-4.

Picture of the Schiit Mjolnir 2 but LF339 is still in my other accommodation, which I'll be getting this weekend.

IMG_1688.jpg

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #5,682 of 6,903
@xmdkq
I am making a 6j5 - EF86 adapter and i have two questions for you boss:
1- Pentode strapping: what do you recommend? I will connect grid 2 and grid 3 to the plate (anode), is it your method as well?
2- Do i connect the shield pin to the metal body of the adapter?
Thanks in advance!

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #5,683 of 6,903
Sorry almost missed this. In terms of bass, the X is on par with LCD3 but tighter. Audeze bass is the most impactful and I love planar. No substitute for it. Verite bass is more mid bass and even though it does extends low but the bass weight is not the same as the 3 or X.

Beyer T1.2 bass is also tighter and feed it with power and it will lift off but again not as satisfying as the planar bass.

So if your ears are like mine, go for the LCD-X. I love it even with LF339 but I’ve a lot of ss amps now. See my signature.

Thanks for the comparison. Yeah, I love me planar bass too! That is why my pair of HE-500 sounds so good to me out of the 339. Now, to keep an eye out for a good deal on a pair of LCD-X. I think I have some Amazon gift cards I have not used yet; might go for the creator package.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #5,684 of 6,903
Thanks for the comparison. Yeah, I love me planar bass too! That is why my pair of HE-500 sounds so good to me out of the 339. Now, to keep an eye out for a good deal on a pair of LCD-X. I think I have some Amazon gift cards I have not used yet; might go for the creator package.
Great deal on the LCD-X here if you got the $$$. Haven't seen a better price for new and I believe no tax.
Audeze LCD-X Open Back Headphones (moon-audio.com)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #5,685 of 6,903

Users who are viewing this thread

Back