Sennheiser HD820
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,331 of 4,370
Is it true that the 820 is not a worthy closed back to those listeners (i.e. myself) who adore the 800S sound? I love, love, love my 800S and am searching for something closed that has a similar sound signature, but everything I'm reading indicates the 820 is not it. I'm curious to know if anyone who has the 800S has ended up with the 820 chose them over the others (Stellia, Eikon, VC, etc) and why. Thanks!

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #3,332 of 4,370
Is it true that the 820 is not a worthy closed back to those listeners (i.e. myself) who adore the 800S sound? I love, love, love my 800S and am searching for something closed that has a similar sound signature, but everything I'm reading indicates the 820 is not it. I'm curious to know if anyone who has the 800S has ended up with the 820 chose them over the others (Stellia, Eikon, VC, etc) and why. Thanks!
The 820 sounds extremely similar to the 800S. A little more deep bass and a little less rich mids. If you read somewhere it sounded a lot different that person likely never actually heard the 820.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #3,333 of 4,370
I also love the HD800S
Had the Stellia for two weeks and returned it, the Eikon and Atticus for a month and sold them.
None was on the level of the HD820 for me and certainly none of them had anywhere near the sound/soundstage of the HD800S.
But as always, listen and decide for yourself, a lot of what you read or see on youtube is just hype.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,334 of 4,370
I also love the HD800S
Had the Stellia for two weeks and returned it, the Eikon and Atticus for a month and sold them.
None was on the level of the HD820 for me and certainly none of them had anywhere near the sound/soundstage of the HD800S.
But as always, listen and decide for yourself, a lot of what you read or see on youtube is just hype.

Thanks for the insight. Like you, I'm got the Focal Stellia for the past week and like it a lot for the fast, precise bas, but it's just missing that magical touch (soundstage, detail) that makes me coming back to the HD800S. Another thanks for the note on the ZMFs. I'm dying to try the Verite Closed as well. Sounds like I'll have to give the HD820s a chance. I'm just wondering why the used prices of them are falling so fast.....

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #3,335 of 4,370
Thanks for the insight. Like you, I'm got the Focal Stellia for the past week and like it a lot for the fast, precise bas, but it's just missing that magical touch (soundstage, detail) that makes me coming back to the HD800S. Another thanks for the note on the ZMFs. I'm dying to try the Verite Closed as well. Sounds like I'll have to give the HD820s a chance. I'm just wondering why the used prices of them are falling so fast.....
Well it had very negative reviews from the get go. The used prices make them a bargain. I have the VC too, my newest headphone so it's been getting the most use. Went back to the 820 last night for some music which didn't sound great on the VC, but did on the 820. The VC is quite different, but ultimately I'd choose it over the 820. That said, I'm never selling my 820. I also prefer it by quite a lot over my 800 SDR. The VC is about as cheap as it has ever been, with some sets for $1999 at the moment on the ZMF November sale for one of a kind models.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #3,336 of 4,370
Well it had very negative reviews from the get go. The used prices make them a bargain. I have the VC too, my newest headphone so it's been getting the most use. Went back to the 820 last night for some music which didn't sound great on the VC, but did on the 820. The VC is quite different, but ultimately I'd choose it over the 820. That said, I'm never selling my 820. I also prefer it by quite a lot over my 800 SDR. The VC is about as cheap as it has ever been, with some sets for $1999 at the moment on the ZMF November sale for one of a kind models.

In your opinion which type of music genres does the 820 excel at compared to the VC?

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #3,337 of 4,370
In your opinion which type of music genres does the 820 excel at compared to the VC?
Well I don't really differentiate that way, nor would I be good at doing so. I'd say the 820 is the safer bet since it's cheaper and certainly more like the 800S sound than the VC is. The 820 advantages are that wide soundstage with more space between instruments. When I go back to them there is such a clarity to the sound which I really enjoy. The VC is enveloping, with sound much closer in around the head. They're both incredibly detailed. The 820s have more treble and are probably more neutral/analytic overall, but themselves are much warmer than the 800 SDR, but the VC are warmest. The VCs are all unique art pieces, especially now that the stabilized maple burl ones are out today. Mine are stabilized, and the most beautiful headphones I've owned so I get enjoyment out of them when they're just visible on my desk.

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #3,338 of 4,370
Lack of bass is the first symptom that the HD800S aren't properly driven. They can sound "just fine" or "quite good" from the sources that don't give them enough power but truth be told, as soon as they get enough juice they open up. What I've expreienced is that when they lack power from the source, the bass is shallow and lacks the thump. Their sub-bas is still rather mediocre, but there is just as big gap between single-ended and balanced output from Aune S6 Pro as there is between balanced output of Aune S6 Pro and Burson C3X Performance. I even went as far as to put them on high gain which is rather unnecessary, but stil they have benefited from that extra amount of power. They have also improved by changing the stock cable which ergonomics are jus tragic...
BTW. High volume doesn't necessary mean that the headphones are well driven :wink:
That is not the case here though. It´s just the signature of the amp it has plenty of sub bass. I would say it actually boost sub bass but it just make everything sound hollow. So if you have such a unique thing as a headphone with bloated midrange it´s great :)

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,339 of 4,370

People wrote 820 reviews based on frequency response graphs, hearsay, and suboptimal show conditions instead of actually listening to the headphone in a controlled environment. Its very easy to tell when an HD820 review was written by someone knowledgeable who has compared it to HD800S, and when someone is simply talking out of their rear end. There is no more "reference" sounding closed back under $3000 I am aware of than the HD820. There are ones that might look nicer, ones that might have more bass - but more accurate to reference studio sound, no, that would be HD820. The negative perception of this headphone is solely due to inability of "the herd" to fully understand psychoacoustics and why you DON'T want a flat curve in a closed back if you value accuracy.

If you want something that sounds similar to HD800S but with isolation of a closed back, there is no better headphone than the HD820. The main differences between the two is that HD820 has significantly more sub-bass, slightly less rich mids, and they are heavier. Soundstage on HD820 remains very large (bigger than most open backs) if not quite HD800S-sized.

Right now my current main 3 headphones are HD820, HD800S, and Grado Hemp. These 3 together handle pretty much any genre I can think of.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #3,340 of 4,370
Any driving the hd820 with woo audio WA8? The original 800 had some of the best vocals with that setup. I regret selling the WA8. I'm just surprised on how some people say the mids are so bad on the 820. I'm thinking about picking up a pair.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,345 of 4,370

Users who are viewing this thread

Back