Sennheiser HD820
Jan 17, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,346 of 4,370
I saw this thread. I have my candidates narrowed down to a few. I'm used to the HD8xx sound, so the preference is to stick with it. Just hear so many conflicting reports about the mids in the 820. It's probably beating a dead horse in the thread, but that's what headfi is about.
Just be careful, the fit was absolutely useless for me, and I have NEVER had a fit problem with a headphone before. I have owned the 600/650/700 and 800S, all fit me perfectly, but not the 820. I was selling the 820 for my friend who also could not get them to fit so the seal was bad and the bass anemic. That was my experience, because the seal was non-existent the bass was simply not at all adequate, not even close.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,347 of 4,370
People wrote 820 reviews based on frequency response graphs, hearsay, and suboptimal show conditions instead of actually listening to the headphone in a controlled environment. Its very easy to tell when an HD820 review was written by someone knowledgeable who has compared it to HD800S, and when someone is simply talking out of their rear end. There is no more "reference" sounding closed back under $3000 I am aware of than the HD820. There are ones that might look nicer, ones that might have more bass - but more accurate to reference studio sound, no, that would be HD820. The negative perception of this headphone is solely due to inability of "the herd" to fully understand psychoacoustics and why you DON'T want a flat curve in a closed back if you value accuracy.

If you want something that sounds similar to HD800S but with isolation of a closed back, there is no better headphone than the HD820. The main differences between the two is that HD820 has significantly more sub-bass, slightly less rich mids, and they are heavier. Soundstage on HD820 remains very large (bigger than most open backs) if not quite HD800S-sized.

Right now my current main 3 headphones are HD820, HD800S, and Grado Hemp. These 3 together handle pretty much any genre I can think of.
Because of the unsecure fit, bass could be too loud or non-existent. Too frustrating for me. Too bad, because there was so much potential there when things were right.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,348 of 4,370
You auditioned the 820 and mids was fine?

I own the 820 and there's nothing wrong with the mids. Don't listen to people that just look at the FR and make the conclusion. There's a reason why it's tuned the way it is; it's not an accident.

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #3,349 of 4,370
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #3,350 of 4,370
What reason is that?

There's a video where Sennheiser explains it in a discussion piece with a crowd. You can find it on YouTube. Essentially, the way the acoustics are for this design, the mids/vocals sounded off when the curve was flat. Senn made the tweak they had to for it to sound natural.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #3,352 of 4,370
I haven't. I had both 800 and the S. Wondering if I should pick up the 820. I need a closed back.
If you love the 800S the 820 is the closest thing you will find in a closed back. If you want something that sounds very different than an 800S then you shouldn't get the 820. Pretty much that simple.

People who go on about the mids and FR have no idea how psychoacoustics work in a closed back, and are most likely talking based on message board theory with no significant experience with the headphone in their own system.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #3,353 of 4,370
Just watch how you take them off. Ow.

ow.jpg

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #3,354 of 4,370
Feb 23, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #3,356 of 4,370
Important question, please 🙋‍♂️. Is the HD820 as comfortable, and as loose fitting as the HD800? This especially for people wearing eyeglasses... the HD800S is the only comfortable headphone for me, so I am wondering if the 820 would be the same comfort-wise. Or are the glasses preventing the seal needed for a closed back? Thanks for sharing ...

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #3,357 of 4,370
Important question, please 🙋‍♂️. Is the HD820 as comfortable, and as loose fitting as the HD800? This especially for people wearing eyeglasses... the HD800S is the only comfortable headphone for me, so I am wondering if the 820 would be the same comfort-wise. Or are the glasses preventing the seal needed for a closed back? Thanks for sharing ...
Yes.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #3,359 of 4,370
Yes for comfort. Or yes for breaking the seal? Sorry to ask ...

Yes, just as comfortable as the HD800(S).
A tad heavier of course but still a light feeling headphone, no pressure on the top of the head
I never had problems with the seal, some people do.
I wear glasses as well with my phones, not always but most of the time.
I guess it also depends on the frame/arms of your glasses, my glasses arms are metal, very light, thin and can bend.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #3,360 of 4,370
Yes, just as comfortable as the HD800(S).
A tad heavier of course but still a light feeling headphone, no pressure on the top of the head
I never had problems with the seal, some people do.
I wear glasses as well with my phones, not always but most of the time.
I guess it also depends on the frame/arms of your glasses, my glasses arms are metal, very light, thin and can bend.
Thank you for this. My glasses are rather tick and also wide, so they are trouble with all headphones, besides the HD800S. Their cup slightly tilt backwards when I wear it, but with some luck it will work with the 820.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back