La Figaro 339
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #4,261 of 6,903
First post on headfi! After reading through the 284 pages on here I'm beyond excited to receive my LF339 from massdrop; expected to ship mid September , from the most recent drop (it only sold 7/10 to my surprise after seeing the previous few drops all selling out within the first couple of days). Can't wait to join you guys and enjoy it with HD650/HD800 :)
You are in for a treat based on my experience with the 339 driving my HD800S, and HD600. Great pairings and I miss that wonderful amp to this day. I also think it looks beautiful. Nothing in audio is more appealing to me than the look of tubes glowing in the dark while you chill to tunes. Ethereal experience to be sure, so miss that. Enjoy your 339 mate, you made a very good choice.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #4,262 of 6,903
First post on headfi! After reading through the 284 pages on here I'm beyond excited to receive my LF339 from massdrop; expected to ship mid September , from the most recent drop (it only sold 7/10 to my surprise after seeing the previous few drops all selling out within the first couple of days). Can't wait to join you guys and enjoy it with HD650/HD800 :)

I got my 339 from last drop and it is spectacular. My advice, give yourself some time with stock tubes before rolling ( they are pretty good imho )
Dont blow out ur eardrums when u get it! Your adrenaline will be flowing and you will overwhelmed....hehe

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #4,266 of 6,903
Since they were released, I've always been curious how ZMF's high impedance dynamics would pair with the 339. I received the Auteurs not too long ago and can confirm this is a match made in absolute heaven. I am using Tung-sol 7236 and Sylvania 6SJ7 tubes.

Jul 28, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #4,267 of 6,903
Thanks everyone for the positive words and advice!

Another awesome advice: You may consider this amp as a winter amp exclusively! This is amp is hot, physically.

This was actually something i was a little concerned about; does anyone have experience using the amp in hot weather? It gets pretty hot here (35+ degrees celcius in summer) so I'm thinking of getting a mini desktop fan to cool it down :)

Since they were released, I've always been curious how ZMF's high impedance dynamics would pair with the 339. I received the Auteurs not too long ago and can confirm this is a match made in absolute heaven. I am using Tung-sol 7236 and Sylvania 6SJ7 tubes.

Firstly thanks for all the input you've put into this thread, your love for the amp is one of the main reasons I ended hitting the buy button! ZMF is next on my list of to try/buy headphones, gotta start saving up... how do they sound with classical/acoustic music? That is what I mainly listen to

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,268 of 6,903
They're making the final arrangements for the adapters, does anyone want to change or back out?

Mizicke5273 (EF86, EF80 - two pairs each, USA)
maximus69 (EF86, EF80 - one pair each, USA)
Josh76 (EF86, EF80 - one pair each, USA)
elNan (EF86, EF80 - one pair each, USA)
danniveng (EF86, EF80 - one pair each, Denmark)
flac4me (EF86, EF80 - one pair each, USA)
UntilThen (EF86, EF80 - one pair each, Australia)

Price estimation was previously posted, please refer to that.
Hi MJS242,

Any update on this?

Thanks

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #4,269 of 6,903
Thanks everyone for the positive words and advice!
This was actually something i was a little concerned about; does anyone have experience using the amp in hot weather? It gets pretty hot here (35+ degrees celcius in summer) so I'm thinking of getting a mini desktop fan to cool it down :)

I've used it in hot weather with no issues beyond me feeling like I'm MELTING. I'm pretty sure it's designed to get really hot.

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4,270 of 6,903
Firstly thanks for all the input you've put into this thread, your love for the amp is one of the main reasons I ended hitting the buy button! ZMF is next on my list of to try/buy headphones, gotta start saving up... how do they sound with classical/acoustic music? That is what I mainly listen to

For classical I highly recommend looking into the HD 800 with the recommended La Figaro classical tubes (Tung Sol 7236 and RCA 5693). I didn't like the HD 800S or the HD 820 nearly as much. Some instruments sound inaccurate on the HD 820 and the HD 800S gave up some clarity and the bass is weird. The SDR mod for the HD 800 is also recommended if you decide to go that route and the person who came up with mod sells them for cheap.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #4,271 of 6,903
Different strokes for different folks as they say. I loved the 800S through the 339. I had really nice tubes, forget which, but they will be discussed back in the thread about a year ago now I think.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #4,272 of 6,903
Different strokes for different folks as they say. I loved the 800S through the 339. I had really nice tubes, forget which, but they will be discussed back in the thread about a year ago now I think.
YES! If you can try all 3 that's your best bet to determine which you like best. Either way they have great potential for classical.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #4,273 of 6,903
For classical I highly recommend looking into the HD 800 with the recommended La Figaro classical tubes (Tung Sol 7236 and RCA 5693). I didn't like the HD 800S or the HD 820 nearly as much. Some instruments sound inaccurate on the HD 820 and the HD 800S gave up some clarity and the bass is weird. The SDR mod for the HD 800 is also recommended if you decide to go that route and the person who came up with mod sells them for cheap.

I do actually own the HD800! Am looking forward to its pairing with LF339. I am one of the very few that prefer it stock over SDR and 800S (probably because of my less-mainstream genre choice). Haven't auditioned 820 yet but from what I've read it won't improve on what I love about the 800 already (imaging+clarity+soundstage even if it is a little exaggerated). From everything else in this thread it sounds like that combo of 7236&5693 is the best; I'd really like to try out the 2399/5998s though. Still trying to find my way around tubes; I assume ebay is the best way to go?

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #4,274 of 6,903
I do actually own the HD800! Am looking forward to its pairing with LF339. I am one of the very few that prefer it stock over SDR and 800S (probably because of my less-mainstream genre choice). Haven't auditioned 820 yet but from what I've read it won't improve on what I love about the 800 already (imaging+clarity+soundstage even if it is a little exaggerated). From everything else in this thread it sounds like that combo of 7236&5693 is the best; I'd really like to try out the 2399/5998s though. Still trying to find my way around tubes; I assume ebay is the best way to go?
Ahh, great! I agree with your taste in headphones and if I mostly listened to classical the treble on the stock HD 800 probably wouldn't bother me. Ebay is hit or miss... if you find them cheap then there is minimal risk. Andy from Vintage Tube Services was recommended somewhere (possibly this thread?) and I had a good experience ordering from him:
http://vintagetubeservices.com/

There are others who come recommended as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back