La Figaro 339
Aug 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #3,873 of 6,903
Hey guys I just bought hybridamp's 339 and wondering if anyone can tell me about the tubes currently in place and what kind of sound signature they most likely will produce.
1.jpg

In his ad the tubes are described as:

"RCA® 6AS7G and a pair of Hyvac Mesh Plate 6SJ7GT"
I admittedly dont know the difference between tubes,but I have heard massive differences when other amps have been rolled.

Im looking for deep rumble,euphoric,forward mids and rolled off highs. If these tubes wont produce that can anyone recommend some tubes for me to look into?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #3,874 of 6,903
The RCA 6as7g will give you warm and lushness and all the attributes you desire. I have no experience with the 6SJ7GT. I roll with Mullard EF86 and Siemens EF80 plus the red RCA 5693.

Pictures of the tubes that I rolled with my LF339. These are the best power tubes and great drivers too.

Mullard EF86 and Gec 6080
20170625_214654.jpg

Mullard EF86 and Gec 6as7g
20170625_190156.jpg

Mullard EF80 and Rca 6as7g
20170627_210152.jpg

RCA 5693 and Cetron 7236
DSC_0005 (4).JPG

Mullard EF80 and Tung Sol 5998
DSC_0003 (8).JPG

Mullard EF80 and Bendix 6080wb
DSC_0003 (9).JPG

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #3,875 of 6,903
Nice collection of tubes and thank you for the response....

Another noob question...

The tubes on the outside control what aspect of the sound? Same question for the tubes on inside.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3,876 of 6,903
The outside tubes or what we call drivers...

Mullard EF86 is a very revealing tube. Lots of details and clarity. The Mullard variety dials in a nice warm. Mullard EF80 is more relaxing and less piercing than EF86. Piercing might be a harsh word but you get my drift. RCA 5693 is also a very detail and clear tube.

So I pick drivers that are very clear with lots of details and I dial the tone with my power tubes (these are the big tubes on the inside). Very briefly, these are the characteristics of those power tubes:-

Gec 6as7g - gorgeous warm, lushness with a nice bass punch. This tube seems to get it right in tone. It's no wonder that it's the most desired and the most expensive. It's called the holy grail.

Gec 6080 - the lighter tone version of the Gec 6as7g. It's more airy and lighter in tone but with a very clear presentation. Nice tubes.

Bendix 6080wb - bass weight, wide soundstage, lush and dense but still very clear. I love this tube. The construction is very robust and the tube feels solid and heavy. It was developed for missiles applications.

Tung Sol 5998 - this is the benchmark. Full of energy, punch and impact. It's a lively tone with a solid bass impact and extends low. This tube has a higher gain so you will hear it louder unless you control the volume. This tube is well sought after by the Bottlehead Crack fraternity.

Cetron 7236 - this is the leaner tone version of the Tung Sol 5998. Very much leaner but with great impact too.

Rca 6as7g - more warm and lush than the Gec 6as7g but in comparison, it's sounded more coarse than the Gec. Nevertheless, it sounds superb on the LF339. Should get a pair of this.

Last but not least. Svetlana 6h13c is cheap and not too shabby. I like it on the LF339.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,877 of 6,903
You clearly know your tubes!

I have a Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum to drive my speakers and with the stock tubes I felt that the mids were a bit muddy and buried.I spoke to a guy in Illinois and he recommended changing a single 12AU7 tube to a NOS Telefunken Rib Plate. The difference of just a single tube change(that amp holds 9 various tubes)blew my mind! Female vocals were so real and lifelike it brought tears to my wife's ears,and shes no audiophile.Guitars were so close it felt like you could reach out and pluck the strings...Not to mention the imaging.all this without any sibilance+deep sub bass frequency is what I seek.

Is there an equivalent tube(s) that I can grab for the 339 that will have the same impact on the mids as the Telefunken does for my speaker amp?

thanks again for answering my noob questions. :)

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,878 of 6,903
Hey guys I just bought hybridamp's 339 and wondering if anyone can tell me about the tubes currently in place and what kind of sound signature they most likely will produce.

In his ad the tubes are described as:

"RCA® 6AS7G and a pair of Hyvac Mesh Plate 6SJ7GT"
I admittedly dont know the difference between tubes,but I have heard massive differences when other amps have been rolled.

Im looking for deep rumble,euphoric,forward mids and rolled off highs. If these tubes wont produce that can anyone recommend some tubes for me to look into?

I don't know the driver tubes, but many posts exist on this thread regarding the RCA power tube. It is a good tube to have. In my experience, it imparts a darker, laid back tone, with smooth mids and rolled treble. The newer version of the 339 can actually be quite forward sounding, so the RCA really is a nice tube for a more relaxed listen. It certainly meets your rolled-off highs, forward-mids needs. Deeper rumble and higher gain will come from the Tung-sol 5998 and its equivalents.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,879 of 6,903
Is there an equivalent tube(s) that I can grab for the 339 that will have the same impact on the mids as the Telefunken does for my speaker amp?

thanks again for answering my noob questions. :)

It's hard to answer your question regarding tubes that are tonally similar to Telefunken 12AU7 because I'm not familiar with that.

I gather you have not heard the tubes that the seller advertise the LF339 with? I suggest you listen first and then tell us what you think. That looks like a decent pairing to me. You might like it.

Just as I was about to post, I saw LJ's reply. She's spot on with the descriptions of the RCA 6as7g.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,880 of 6,903
@monsterzero what headphone are you using with the LF339? That will have an impact on the eventual sound too. Likewise DAC.

Just as an example, HD800 and LCD-2f on the LF339 will produce a totally different outcome. Even using HD650 will get you closer to what you want. I've just gotten a LCD-2f and I'm over the moon. This headphone is for you, based on your requirements. :)

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,881 of 6,903
I was never a huge fan of the HD800 from the 339, but that's not saying much, since it demands careful synergy, even when modded. It could be great with the right music though.

From my experience, the 339 excels with the HD600/650, Beyer DT880, and HE-500. I regret selling my HE-500. I bet it's great with the LCD-2. It also sounds good with the Utopia.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #3,882 of 6,903
@monsterzero what headphone are you using with the LF339? That will have an impact on the eventual sound too. Likewise DAC.

Just as an example, HD800 and LCD-2f on the LF339 will produce a totally different outcome. Even using HD650 will get you closer to what you want. I've just gotten a LCD-2f and I'm over the moon. This headphone is for you, based on your requirements. :)

I have 3 pair of AKG K240 sextetts that are 600 ohms and I believe in the low to mid 90s in sensitivity.
I have an AKG K340 that is also 600 ohms and less sensitive than the sextetts,but its a pretty sibilant disjointed headphone to begin with,so not expecting miracles there.
I have a Sennheiser HD250 Linear l (300 ohms) that is highly under appreciated and I actually prefer to the HD6xx series.
I also have an Atticus in bound as soon as Zach gets to finishing it(no rush Zach :wink:

My HE6 and others have plenty of SS vintage receivers to deliver the umph.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,883 of 6,903
Looking forward to your impressions of Attticus on LF339. I have an Eikon incoming. :)

Both you and LJ have the HE-6. I'm envious. It's the headphone that I want to try and drive it off Ragnarok or my receivers.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #3,884 of 6,903
Im guessing the Atticus +339 will be glorious mids,but minus the prodigious slam that I heard thru The Milo....Ive heard the Atticus twice and both times it sounded like entirely different headphones. I will have the option of five SS vintage receivers HP jacks+Zach is making me a cable where I can drive it off of speaker taps(might have very little wiggle room volume wise)and then finally the 339.

I used to own a WA2,but never got around to tube rolling it,grew bored of it+T1s and sold it.Of all the gear that Ive had losing my OTL was the only one I missed.Hoping the 339 fills that void :)

I dont think the 339+Atticus will be the best match,but its not the main reason im getting the 339,so if it does end up being a great match it will be icing on the cake.

HE6 is a great HP,but needs to be modded,has questionable build quality and you need a mini-nuke to drive it but once all components are in place its a visceral auditory experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back