La Figaro 339
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #3,901 of 6,903
The old response was that the LCD-2 was the super HD650. That doesn't seem to be true, and a lot of people have gravitated away from that notion. YMMV. The HD650 is arguably the better headphone and scales way higher (read: all the way up) where the LCD-2 hits a wall. That's not to slander the LCD-2 or the HE-500.

Also, forgot to add: the HD650, while not casting a wide stage, is capable of going quite deep in staging, particularly on the 339 and other great tube amplifiers (ZDS/Crack/FA Elise/Glenn). The HE-500 is more hard left-to-right in staging, like sounds are from the sides of your ears outwards, as are most planars (including the HE-6 but less so with the HE-K). One of the most impressive additions the 339 gives to the HE-500 is stage-depth, but it won't match that of the HD650 in terms of stage or imaging. Certainly, the HD800 destroys both in terms of staging, and arguably all headphones affordable to mortals other than the AKG K-1000. The Utopia casts a similar stage to the HD650 but images better. The HE-6 is also better in imaging to the HE-500. But HE-500 is so good from the 339. Hope you can hear both!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #3,902 of 6,903
Appreciate the advice. As an admitted mid-head I was quite underwhelmed when I had the LCD-2.2pf...The HE-500 just did mids so much better.I guess if i listened to a lot of psybient and deep trance the Audezes would rank higher in my book,but while I didnt hate them I have to admit to being a bit disappointed in the LCD-2s.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the 339,and looking forward to what it does with my collection,especially my vintage cans.

I will give some impressions here and on the dedicated Sextett and HD250 threads in case any members here want to experience these old beauties for themselves.

Im assuming that you will have much more volume head room with the HD650 vs. HE-500...I like loud :)

I spoke to my tube dealer today and he had nice things to say about the tubes I have coming with the amp,so I guess I will be doing a lot of listening before I decide to pull the trigger on any tubes.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #3,903 of 6,903
Certainly, the HD800 destroys both in terms of staging, and arguably all headphones affordable to mortals other than the AKG K-1000.

I thought I read earlier in this thread that you arent fond of the HD800 from the 339?

FWIW theres like 3 or 4 AKG K1000s in the FS section currently.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #3,904 of 6,903
Appreciate the advice. As an admitted mid-head I was quite underwhelmed when I had the LCD-2.2pf...The HE-500 just did mids so much better.I guess if i listened to a lot of psybient and deep trance the Audezes would rank higher in my book,but while I didnt hate them I have to admit to being a bit disappointed in the LCD-2s.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the 339,and looking forward to what it does with my collection,especially my vintage cans.

I will give some impressions here and on the dedicated Sextett and HD250 threads in case any members here want to experience these old beauties for themselves.

Im assuming that you will have much more volume head room with the HD650 vs. HE-500...I like loud :)

I spoke to my tube dealer today and he had nice things to say about the tubes I have coming with the amp,so I guess I will be doing a lot of listening before I decide to pull the trigger on any tubes.

The 339, as I've stated here, has some of the most headroom I have experienced, in the sense that it gets loud fast. Good luck moving above 9-10 o'clock on a regular basis. I do recall higher for the HE-500. When you are a little buzzed, I suppose you might get away with 11. It's a very powerful amp in that regard, not like volume means everything.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #3,905 of 6,903
I thought I read earlier in this thread that you arent fond of the HD800 from the 339?

FWIW theres like 3 or 4 AKG K1000s in the FS section currently.

Well, it still destroys both in terms of staging, but I prefer both the HE-500 and the HD650 from the 339, since staging isn't my primary criteria when other flaws exist. The HD800 is better from other amps. It scales just as high or higher than the HD650. The HD800 is the most impressive and stunning headphone I have heard with the right track and amp, more than the Utopia, but the Utopia is more consistently good to me where the HD800 can be concomitantly annoying with the wrong synergy and tracks. YMMV. My dream setup has been to settle down for a DNA Stratus and HD800 and be done with it. Not going to happen atm.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #3,907 of 6,903
I won't commend on headphones yet but I will commend on La Figaro 339. Having heard Woo Audio Wa6se, Woo Audio Wa2, Woo Audio Wa22, Woo Audio Wa33, Simeaudio Moon 430HAD, Chord Hugo TT, Darkvoice 336se, Feliks Audio Elise and Euforia, Violectric v281 and Ragnarok, my opinion is that La Figaro 339 is one helluva amp, whether tube or solid state.

I have a hard time deciding whether I like Euforia or La Figaro 339 more. They are both different in presentations. Euforia is more warm and lush but LF339 just have that unique bass weight and amazingly wide soundstage. When you look at LF339 price, it's a no brainer.

Why do I like LF339?
  • wide soundstage
  • solid bass weight
  • clarity and details
  • holographic
  • 3 dimensional
  • the best I've heard my modified HD650 in
  • I even enjoy HD800 with it
  • Now I await to try LCD-2f and Eikon on it
At the point of buying Ragnarok, I even contemplate getting a custom made La Figaro 339..... but I wanted a solid state amp to go with my tube amp.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,909 of 6,903
The HD800 is the most impressive and stunning headphone I have heard with the right track and amp, more than the Utopia, but the Utopia is more consistently good to me where the HD800 can be concomitantly annoying with the wrong synergy and tracks. YMMV. My dream setup has been to settle down for a DNA Stratus and HD800 and be done with it. Not going to happen atm.

Ive head very little experience with the HD800 persoanlly but when you spend as much time reading this forum as I do Im quite familiar with its reputation.
Was the HD800 you heard modded?
Have you listened to the HD800S yet,and how does it compare?Ive read that the bass is weird on it.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,910 of 6,903
The 339 arrived today,and in great shape.I have listened briefly to many of my headphones and various genres...

I think first that the tube combo in place is actually too warm,kinda like the HD600 veil has been applied to all my headphones. That actually works amazingly well on my AKG K340s,making them listenable,which I didnt think possible.It is typically a very painfully bright headphone ,devoid of bass,but these tubes tame it extremely well,but still no bass.

It drives low ohm headphones remarkably well,which pretty much took everything I thought I knew about OTLs and threw it out the window.It drives my ATH AD2000s very well,and cant get the volume pots much above 9 o' clock on them.

The 600 ohm vintage headphones like my sextetts,K340s and HD250s the volume pots have to go all the way to about 1-2 o' clock,but it def gets loud enough.

Im thinking that this tube set will be too much of a good thing for my incoming Atticus...Bright headphones will prolly shine though.

So if I wanted less veil,more punch,energy and forward mids what tubes should I push to the top of my list?

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3,911 of 6,903
Bass punch has to come from your headphone. In the case of Atticus there should be no lack of bass punch.

For a clearer set of tube, try Mullard EF86 and Gec 6080 or even Mullard 6080.
Alternatively try RCA 5693 Reds and Tung Sol 7236.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #3,912 of 6,903
Bass punch has to come from your headphone. In the case of Atticus there should be no lack of bass punch.

For a clearer set of tube, try Mullard EF86 and Gec 6080 or even Mullard 6080.
Alternatively try RCA 5693 Reds and Tung Sol 7236.

Well...Actually,first congrats on your deal with Zach!

The Atticus via OTL typically loses most of its slam.It was first brought to the thread's attention by Hansotek and while not officially confirmed,I heard it thru Zach's high end OTL(forget the name)and indeed it was much,much more neutral sounding vs the way it sounds thru the Milo...or most other powerful SS amps,however,apparently its also dependent upon the resistor value....the details of how that all shakes out eludes me.The Eikon apparently is much less finicky.

All that being said im not expecting much slam from Atticus+339,but if it happens to be of that synergy great!

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,913 of 6,903
Zach told me Atticus will sound gorgeous on Euforia and Ragnarok. He heard it with Euforia.

When I get those ZMF headphones, I will tell you how they sound on La Figaro 339, Euforia and Ragnarok. :)

...and thanks for the congrats...

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #3,914 of 6,903
Zach told me Atticus will sound gorgeous on Euforia and Ragnarok.

When I get those ZMF headphones, I will tell you how they sound on La Figaro 339, Euforia and Ragnarok. :)

...and thanks for the congrats...

Youre welcome!
I didnt mean to imply the Atticus wont sound sweet,in fact supposedly the mids become even more lush,but the slam is reduced...so I guess it depends on what type of sound you prefer and are looking for...Me personally im looking for a slam beast+fwd mids and tame treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back