La Figaro 339
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #3,136 of 6,903
Better for me is an RCA, Sylvania or Chatham.  Anything over $30-$40 / tube doesn't make sense.  I've rolled just about everything in the 339 (except for a GEC 6AS7G).  It's a fun experimental process because there are negligible differences.  However, the opinions/comparisons like most things on head-fi are overly hyped and exaggerated.   End of the day, if I like the source / amp and headphones swapping out an RCA 6AS7G for a WE 421A isn't going to change my life.  People just constantly want to make something big out of something minor.  All just IMO though.  

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,137 of 6,903
I got a question about tubes. I'm looking for alternatives for any of the following driver tubes that are compatible with my (yet to arrive) amp:

6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63

So I just had a quick browse through the following document:

http://analogmetric.com/download/Vacuum%20tube%20cross%20reference%20table.pdf

This document has US/European designation on the left and Chinese designation on the right and cross references them.

The confusing part is a 6J5 appears on both sides and has a different schematic.

So my question is are these completely different? And if so what one does Yuking refer too (US/Euro or Chinese)?

Is there a way to tell from the schematic, number of pins, etc...

Thanks

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #3,138 of 6,903
  I got a question about tubes. I'm looking for alternatives for any of the following driver tubes that are compatible with my (yet to arrive) amp:

6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63

So I just had a quick browse through the following document:

http://analogmetric.com/download/Vacuum%20tube%20cross%20reference%20table.pdf

This document has US/European designation on the left and Chinese designation on the right and cross references them.

The confusing part is a 6J5 appears on both sides and has a different schematic.

So my question is are these completely different? And if so what one does Yuking refer too (US/Euro or Chinese)?

Is there a way to tell from the schematic, number of pins, etc...

Thanks

Awhile back there were some users who modded their 6J4P amp to use the L63 and with it some discussion about those tubes and variants.  I'd review the thread or do a search and maybe you can dig up the information you need.  

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,140 of 6,903
All the models compatible with the amp with will have the same number of pins, yet another thing to keep in mind..

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,142 of 6,903
Has anyone had tubes that will not work one day, and work the next day?

Had a 6SJ7GT mesh stop working yesterday after rolling in; luckily i have two spares and was considering throwing the bad tube out.

Tried that same tube again today and now it works! What gives? Seriously 
angry_face.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,143 of 6,903
Has anyone had tubes that will not work one day, and work the next day?

Had a 6SJ7GT mesh stop working yesterday after rolling in; luckily i have two spares and was considering throwing the bad tube out.

Tried that same tube again today and now it works! What gives? Seriously :angry_face:  

The tube may not have made full contact with the socket.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,144 of 6,903
Dont know, stopped again today. Seems to be burning more brightly than the other channel, just a dud tube..

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,145 of 6,903
Update: Glows way too bright on start up, and stays glowing well after turning amp off.  Must be a low resistance leading to over voltage? Some sort of thing like that.

I carefully and skillfully smacked the tube around like a red headed stepchild, and it glowed normally (not bright at all, as normal). It also funnily enough works after doing this too, which is an added bonus.

*YMMV*  

popcorn.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #3,147 of 6,903
Which power tubes did you decide on?

These GE 6AS7GA are owned by a few posters here, not a bad 6AS7G warm sound. Look into it

http://www.parts-express.com/6as7ga-ge-jan-vacuum-tube--072-612

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,149 of 6,903
  My 339 arrived yesterday, although I can't try it with music yet as I'm still waiting for my DAC.

I plugged it in today, turned it on and plugged my headphones in and I noticed a small problem.
Whenever I  touch the right volume knob, I hear a noise in the right channel of my headphones.

It's only with the right volume knob, and only while I'm touching it. The noise gets more loud as I turn the volume up.

It's not a big problem but it annoys me.

Did anyone have anything similar?

Did you ever find a resolution to the noise problem on the right channel?  I have not seen another post from you and wondered.  I looked at the pics you took inside the chaise and must say the solder job is not up to the pictures posted on his website.  Very poorly done, some,from the pics, look like cold solder joints, poorly done at any rate.

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #3,150 of 6,903

Did you ever find a resolution to the noise problem on the right channel?  I have not seen another post from you and wondered.  I looked at the pics you took inside the chaise and must say the solder job is not up to the pictures posted on his website.  Very poorly done, some,from the pics, look like cold solder joints, poorly done at any rate.

The problem went away with time. I don't understand how or why, but I didn't do anything. It seems it just needed to burn in. The amp works and sounds good. :)
I also noticed that my 339s internals are not like the pictures that are posted here by Yuking, but those are all premium or reference edition I think.
Mine is only the standard one. :frowning2:

I wanted to post my impressions of the tubes I got, but I always postponed it, plus I also can't write about the sound in detail. Sorry about that, and the postponing.

I have these pairs of tubes now:

Svetlana =C= 6H13C
RCA 6AS7G
Ken-rad 6AS7G
These are not the best for me, the highs are too rolled off, don't like them. Keeping them because I feel they will be good with the HD800s that I am currently waiting for it.

RCA 6080:  the first tube I liked, tho a bit too bright maybe. Perfect for gaming.
Just an example, with the RCA 6080 I could hear if the terrorists planted the bomb in CS:GO much much further away than with all the 6AS7Gs.
When I had the 6AS7Gs in, all my friends could hear the bomb ticking with their very cheap headphones, but I couldn't and I was like "What? Where is it??" Then they mocked me for buying an expensive amp and headphones and not even hearing the bomb lol.

Mullard 6080WA: better than RCA 6080, the best price/performance tube IMO.

Tung-sol 5998: Great tube! Better than mullard with a bit more bass and clarity.

Western Electric 421A: My favorite. Sounds (a bit) better than 5998. This is whats currently in my amp.

As long as I use the HD650, I will probably only use the 421A and if they die the 5998. They are the best, but unfortunately also expensive.

Now for the input tubes. I have:

RCA 6C5
Hitachi 6J5GT
Tronal 6J5GT
With input tubes it's more hard to notice difference.
I didn't like any of the above ones. They sounded a bit too "muddy".

RCA 6J5: The first input tube I liked. It is also the cheapest!
Hytron 6C5GT (dead after 1 day use) I liked these. R.I.P. :frowning2:
GEC CV1067: What I currently have in my amp. Sounds right. Never compared to the 6J5 though. :)

Now I'm waiting for the HD800 and I'm also upgrading my ODAC to the Violectric DAC V850 (that should arrive next monday). I'm curious how my tube preferences will change due to these upgrades. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back