La Figaro 339
Jul 3, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #3,107 of 6,903
Check out the Bendix 6080WB

II.b) The Bendix 6080WB Graphite Plates
Unlike all other 6AS7 tube types, these had solid graphite COLUMNS and not plates and are very heavy duty. They have ruggedized construction features such as extra supports and copper posts not found on other 6080 tubes. Regardless of branding, these were all manufactured by Bendix. These are a really good buy and an excellent alternative to the 5998. These tubes are sonically similar to the 5998 and are superior to with a noticeably airier sound without being prone to sibilance. 

Keywords: Detailed, Neutral, Fast, Punchy, Dynamic, Wide

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #3,108 of 6,903
Check out the Bendix 6080WB

II.b) The Bendix 6080WB Graphite Plates

Unlike all other 6AS7 tube types, these had solid graphite COLUMNS and not plates and are very heavy duty. They have ruggedized construction features such as extra supports and copper posts not found on other 6080 tubes. Regardless of branding, these were all manufactured by Bendix. These are a really good buy and an excellent alternative to the 5998. These tubes are sonically similar to the 5998 and are superior to with a noticeably airier sound without being prone to sibilance. 

Keywords: Detailed, Neutral, Fast, Punchy, Dynamic, Wide

I have heard about them. But they are ISO hard to buy in pairs. Do you have ?

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,109 of 6,903
I have about 10 Bendix
cool.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,112 of 6,903
If anyone is looking for various 339 tubes I'm looking to sell some (for the 6SJ7) version.  Would include 6SJ7 mesh plates, 7236, EF80's, EF80 adapters, EF86 tubes, probably some other stuff.  Feel free to PM me.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #3,113 of 6,903
If anyone is looking for various 339 tubes I'm looking to sell some (for the 6SJ7) version.  Would include 6SJ7 mesh plates, 7236, EF80's, EF80 adapters, EF86 tubes, probably some other stuff.  Feel free to PM me.

A great opportunity. I am probably set for tubes for a long while but thanks for letting us know first. EF86 tubes are tempting.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #3,114 of 6,903
A great opportunity. I am probably set for tubes for a long while but thanks for letting us know first. EF86 tubes are tempting.

If I may, I've been reading the long tube threads. RCA 6AS7G, for example, could have been had for a fin as as little as a few years ago. Now they're selling for 5 times as much. Or a TS 5998 that cost $20-$30 not that long ago. With this in mind, I've been buying the tubes that sound best with my Elise, while they're sill affordable. Some are just ridiculously inexpensive, like RCA 6080 that I've bought for as little as $12 for a well-tested pair. I really like 7N7 drivers, a loctal base substitute for 6NS7. It's a rugged 10,000 hour tube and I have 4 pairs. Some were put together for $10, NOS. I'm 51. That should last at least 'till I'm in a walker. I also really like RCA 6080 and Svetlana 6AS7G in the Elise, so I got a bunch, while they're very inexpensive. At this point, I'm pretty much done buying tubes, aside from an odd/interesting pair to play with solely out of curiosity.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you really like the LF339 and plan to keep it for a long time, it may not be a bad idea to stock up on your favorite tubes. Looking at the market during the past ~7 years, virtually nothing is becoming less expensive. The better tubes seem to only go up in price.

One of my cars is a factory special that was only available in the US for 1 year. The better examples sell for more than they did new. When folks complain about the prices, as if someone is holding a gun to their heads making them buy this car and this car only, I usually ask, "Is the number of the cars increasing, since production ended almost 10 years ago?" Same idea applies to NOS/low-hour tubes that are in demand. Once they're gone, that's it.

Edit: typo

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #3,115 of 6,903
If I may, I've been reading the long tube threads. RCA 6AS7G, for example, could have it.

These are great points. Even in my relatively modest experience with tubes, I have noticed the pricing of certain tubes skyrocket. I cannot believe the TS 5998 could be had for so cheaply given the prices they are today. But I do often wonder what the original pricing for many NOS tubes were during their peak prodution period. Your post illuminates a sad truth that the party will be over soon. Although I have had some luck with newly produced tubes, I like having some of the older ones around to drive certain headphones.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #3,116 of 6,903
hey it's good to see the 339 getting the attention it deserves! Oh man I sure love this headphone amp. Anyone had the latest hifiman or audeze through it? I use it with Sony Z7, GEC 6AS7G and GEC L63, battery bias and a whole lot mod Inside. But I remember the stock 339 did sound already great!

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,118 of 6,903
OK I just finished reading the whole thread. Took me about 3 days. :D

I'm making a transition from a SS loud speaker set up to a headphone one. I ordered this amp a few days ago. I may not get it for a while yet.

As I was reading this thread I dutifully noted many combinations of tubes that people had recommended. It wasn't until I got near the end I realized there are 2 variants of the amp (The 6J4P and the 6C5). I saw the two options during the order process of course, but just thought these were a different sets of tube, rather than the amp itself being wired differently.

I went for the 6C5 variant. I'm happy with this choice since this is supposed to be the warmer of the two. 

I'm assuming most of the previous tube recommendations were for 6J4P since this variant seems more prevalent (probably because it has been out longer?).

I'm left wondering what tubes are compatible/recommended for the 6C5 variant?

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #3,119 of 6,903
OK I just finished reading the whole thread. Took me about 3 days. :D

I'm making a transition from a SS loud speaker set up to a headphone one. I ordered this amp a few days ago. I may not get it for a while yet.

As I was reading this thread I dutifully noted many combinations of tubes that people had recommended. It wasn't until I got near the end I realized there are 2 variants of the amp (The 64JP and the 6C5). I saw the two options during the order process of course, but just thought these were a different sets of tube, rather than the amp itself being wired differently.

I went for the 6C5 variant. I'm happy with this choice since this is supposed to be the warmer of the two. 

I'm assuming most of the previous tube recommendations were for 64JP since this variant seems more common (probably because it has been out longer?).

I'm left wondering what tubes are compatible/recommended for the 6C5 variant?

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about that variant of tubes. I can definitely say you have made a fine decision by choosing this amp. What color did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back