La Figaro 339
Jun 13, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #887 of 6,909
They didn't send me the adapters I had to buy them... Though I recommend no to bother using EF80 type, finding a quiet pair is such a pity IMO, the 6SJ7GT are way better anyway at least the ones I have tried ie. Tung sol and VT116A, even 6SJ7WGT either sylvania or philips (even though the latter construction is poorer than 50 and 60's tubes). I bought almost 10 or more tubes to find goods EF80 if not more...

As for the 50W resistors have a tech change them for good quality or learn to DIY, it's not safe unless you learn how to work in tube amps because of high lethal voltages, but I did it and it is easy to make it safe (a light bulb and a multimeter and some electronical knowledge) But be carefull!

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #888 of 6,909
 Well... good news, my amp is working again.

The problem was the capacitor resistor (I think this is the name). It is the component with a red arrow.

One thing I noticed is that these components are different from this picture. They are wire wound, white color, if this is the right word in English. He replaced with one with the same specs and a green color for now.

The technician said it blowed because my country is 127v and this product is for 110v, and the charge on them is high because they are the first ones on the patch. So he suggested that we could replace these components for others (in parallel - because of space) to work better and safer with our energy.

My English is a little poor and my eletronics knowledge too, but I hope you can understand what I've said.

At his room there was a couple of MBL products but I had no time to ask him to show me how they sound. When the components arrive I'm going to replace and will take a picture of the internals too. If someone has any idea of simple upgrade (replacing something) that I can ask him to do, that is not expensive to buy and easy to find on eBay, please let me know.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #889 of 6,909
This is good news! Mine also had the white wirewound.
Enjoy your amp like this, it is a great value for the money. I put a lot of money on the upgrade and frankly unless you are a neurotic audiophile like me you won't need it!
Or if you got the money to play, you can replace all the resistor for non inductive wirewound type, and ask him to change the bridge rectifiers for soft recovery type. And if you have too much money on your hands, let him change the capacitors to aerovox or BC vishay, change the output coupling capacitor for MKP film type, and replace the volume pot for stepped attenuator! Just kidding mate, just enjoy this great piece of amp! The sound of this amp has more to do with the circuit than the parts themselves. If you want an overkill amp, just change all the parts, but frankly as it is this amp is so great already! If you don't have any problems, just leave it alone :wink:

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #890 of 6,909
Looks like a really nice amp but the dual volume control is pretty much a deal breaker for me.  Can anybody compare the 339 to a Woo WA3 or Glow Amp One?

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #891 of 6,909
339 dual volume is not that bad in use, actually it is handy and permits using less than ideal paired tubes. As for comparaison I can't comment not having use the other two, but the 339 looks way better from a circuit point of view.

Work in progress: testing without any bypass caps.

I like to show the output caps apparent better than in the box.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #892 of 6,909
Quote:
339 dual volume is not that bad in use, actually it is handy and permits using less than ideal paired tubes. As for comparaison I can't comment not having use the other two, but the 339 looks way better from a circuit point of view.

Work in progress: testing without any bypass caps.

I like to show the output caps apparent better than in the box.

Well done a good job

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #899 of 6,909
6C5 are too expensive... I really wonder who use them appart from radio collectors...
beefed up further:

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #900 of 6,909
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A MODDED 339, DON'T PUT 6C5 TUBES IN LF339!

I did the mod to use 6C5 tubes, the sound is better than 6SJ7GT variant with better bass and sweetness across the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back