La Figaro 339
Mar 24, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #6,766 of 6,903
Just got these in (see pic attached) - can't wait to perform some upgrades once I move! Slowly collecting all the pieces.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the last 220uF electrolytic with a really nice (large) Audio Note. $100 per cap but it is in the signal path....

Attachments

• IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #6,767 of 6,903
@simmconn - Ok so I've got the copper. .2mm was slightly thicker than I had imagined but shouldn't be impossible to make this work.

Any guidance you can offer on this process as I haven't done this before? Does it need to sit TIGHTLY against transformer? Should I make a lap seam weld on the copper or just put a small blob of solder there to hold it together?

BTW noticed that most of my vintage Peerless power transformers do have the copper flux band and do utilize a lap seam weld. May need a mighty hot iron to get that done properly.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #6,768 of 6,903
Was able to squirrel away a small work station while we wade through closing.

Here are a few progress pics. Rerouted input wires in “Y” topology. Placed the new electrolytics in, haven’t soldered yet.

Attachments

• FB09B3AC-B5BF-461B-BB52-849C0C73A023.jpeg
    FB09B3AC-B5BF-461B-BB52-849C0C73A023.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E088FCE8-39DC-48E9-B98D-C66D96A9A7F8.jpeg
    E088FCE8-39DC-48E9-B98D-C66D96A9A7F8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 26935D7C-05D4-46BF-87AD-FE7F04CEF430.jpeg
    26935D7C-05D4-46BF-87AD-FE7F04CEF430.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #6,769 of 6,903
Ok so done with the first part (pictured in the last post).

I'd have to say - definitely worth it. Noise is almost negligible unless you've the volume pinned at 90% or above and then you get a hiss as expected. No hum whatsoever though. While I'd attribute the lion's share of hum reduction to the elevated heater mod, I'd definitely say that simmcon's 'Y' topology trick is advice well heeded. Post adding his method, the hum dropped out completely and the amp is noiseless on my HD650s for normal listening.

Stepping up the power caps to 1000uF has made some improvement but hard to tell due to changing out the potentiometers as well. All in all I can say the sound is more dynamic, much clearer/cleaner but with an added smoothness and ease. It's certainly not harsh, there's just a bit more of everything present.

Next will be the 220uF caps. Mundorf will be in place of the first one and the last one (in the signal path) will be replaced with Audio Note Kaisei. I'll need to get creative on how to mount that one.

The only thing left would be the mysterious middle box (coupling caps).

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #6,773 of 6,903
Hi Everyone.
I know these are very different price points, but has anyone compared the La Figaro 339i with the Feliks Euforia?
Would appreciate any insights.
Best,
Sajid
I think @UntilThen made an comparison is this thread. If I remember correctly he had difficulties to say one was better than the other. Euforia warmer and tubier and La Figaro has bigger soundstage and harder hitting bas.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #6,774 of 6,903
I think @UntilThen made an comparison is this thread. If I remember correctly he had difficulties to say one was better than the other. Euforia warmer and tubier and La Figaro has bigger soundstage and harder hitting bas.

The power of the search function. :) As these observations were made a while ago, I had to dig up what I wrote then.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/la-figaro-339.502306/post-16032261

Below post was in reply to someone who private message me about Elise or Euforia vs La Figaro.

Hi Seb,

Finally found the time to reply to you.

I had the T1 v1 not the v2. Which means more clarity at the top end and less pronounced bass. The LFG that I had is the brighter version. Yuking also make a warmer version but I do like the 'brighter' version. I think it's an outstanding amp.

Elise and Euforia are warmer and lusher than LFG and LFG has a larger soundstage, even larger than Glenn Super 9 OTL amp.

I prefer LFG over Elise and Euforia because LFG is more vivid, vibrant and produce spine thingling tones. As T1 v2 is less pronounced in the high frequencies and has more bass, I think it will pair better with LFG. Elise and Euforia are good too but I prefer LFG sound.

However those 3 amps pails in comparison to Glenn Super 9 OTL amp. The GOTL that I have cost $1600. Less if you don't want the Gold Point attenuator and go with the normal volume pot that JazzVinyl has instead. That's $300 less instead. Also I have the 5998 boost switch which is $100. So the GOTL without those 2 items is $1200 which is incredible value. The tone is incredible. It's high fidelity sound. The only way to buy this amp is to message Glenn and visit the Glenn Studio amp thread.

This is my recommendation.

You can't go wrong with these OTL amps.

Cheers
UT

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #6,775 of 6,903
Very interesting.. I had just yesterday started reading through the head-fi Euforia thread.. I was assuming that because it uses the 6SN7 tubes in the driver stage that the Euforia would be the cleaner of the two amps.
For sure the Euforia states a lower noise floor (-97dB I believe) and without modifying the LF339i would have the blacker background.

I was all amped up (no pun intended) to purchase a Euforia / Envy in the near future if it was more neutral of an OTL amp than 339i.
Comparing Soekris 1421 -> Gustard P26 with Classic opamps (warm of neutral opamps) -> 789
with Soekris 1421 -> 339i (cleanest tubes I have, 7236 + 6SJ7GT mesh)

The solid state system is a good deal closer to neutral with the Focal Clear Pro.
The 339i has a much more open soundstage and capacity to express microdetail than the comparatively congested 789, but it is slightly warmer even with these 'reference' neutral tubes. I was hoping the Euforia would fit in between these two systems as far as tonality was concerned. Looks like I would have to invest in something like the LTA Z10E for a tube system capable of that tonality :)

Soon I will take the 339i to my amp guy to rewire and bring the noise floor down, before that I'd like to have something other than the 789 to tide me over. I was thinking the Soloist 3XP.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #6,776 of 6,903
I was thinking the Soloist 3XP.

I had the Soloist 3XP for 3 months. I did like the aspects of a fuller tone with a touch of tube warm in the Soloist. It drives my He6se V2 very well. However in the company of my tube amps, it gradually gain less usage. So I let it go.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #6,777 of 6,903
And done!
Nice work. I have been thinking of upgrading some components in my 339i as I want a leaner, more transparent sound.
I was thinking of replacing the caps with Jantzen Silver-Z. Does anyone with more knowledge of these things know if I am good to replace all caps in the 339i? Or is it only those in the signal path? Or is Silver-Z incompatible?
Would be taking this project to an amp repair store.
http://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/Silver-Z-Cap-Data.pdf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back