L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #151 of 6,808
Congrats are in order here.

It looks fantastic Keenan, and I am glad that the sound matches the looks.
This has been a wonderful thread to follow...good job and I look forward to your next project.

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #152 of 6,808
Congrats are in order here.

It looks fantastic Keenan, and I am glad that the sound matches the looks.
This has been a wonderful thread to follow...good job and I look forward to your next project.

Thanks, Joe! Much appreciated. Next project is underway, waiting to hear back on a transformer quote from Sowter UK, just no timeline given the worldwide slowdown.

Mar 19, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #153 of 6,808
Holy crap...

Okay first things first, got the transformers in the amp. Below is the secondary wiring, 470ohm resistor across the output to protect the transformer from open circuits.

IMAG1953-2.jpg

Had a few other things to finish up, nothing major. Here is the final ciruict.

IMAG1964-2.jpg

After I finished wiring, I eyeballed the whole circuit, reflowed a few solder joints, then brought the circuit up on a variac and checked voltages. Here is what I got for the two channels using the GEC U18/20:

MH4 cathode: 2.44V / 2.47V
MH4 plate to cathode: 174.4V / 184.4V
B+ top of OPT: 312V / 312V
6A5G cathode: 44.6V / 45.5V
6A5G Plate to cathode: 247.6V / 251.5V

All of these values are within 1-2% of my targets, I was absoltuely dumbfounded that I nailed them so accurately. That crazy Georg Ohm knew a thing or two. Difference between the MH4 plate voltages is tube variation I am sure.

Well then there was only one more thing to do...have a listen? NO! Take measurements of course. Here is the frequency response, down ~2dB at 20kHz, might investigate that, but essentially flat from 20Hz - 20kHz :ksc75smile:

FR.png

I am witholding FFT measurements until the amp settles down and have some time to mess around with different tube combinations. Here are some beauty shots of the final product:

DSCF5549.jpg DSCF5550.jpg

So how does it sound...with all of the bias suppression I can muster, it sounds incredible. I braced myself for bad sound (expect the worst, hope for the best kind of thing), but it didn't come. The soundstage is absolutely expansive, the bass is deep, full, and tight, treble is detailed, airy, and not the least bit strident. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am still a bit shocked it all worked out! It is a keeper.

I have been listening for about an hour straight, the panel with some of the dropping resistors on it does get warm, but so far I think it is manageable, haven't taken any surface temperature measurements yet. Will be adding some ventilation in the near future.

I guess that is all for now, just going to keep on listening :darthsmile: have quite a few different 4V drivers to try out (REN904, MH4, E424N, A4110, NR52, K1694), a few different rectifiers to try, and different makes of the 6A5G, but probably won't get to it tonight, might try one other combination. At some point I have to get this baby in my stereo, that will be its final destination, but enjoying headphone listening for now.

So overall a rousing success I would say. I will have more impressions and measurements to come I am sure (need to get a square wave generator...).

Big thank yous to @Tjj226 Angel , @2359glenn , and @A2029 for the input along the way. This is the hardest DIY project I have ever taken on, learned an absolute ton in the process. I'd imagine the first one is the hardest, should be smoother sailing from now on.
Absolutely beautiful. For some reason, Head-Fi stopped sending me updates for ANY threads in the past day or three. VERY glad I popped over to see some good news! ENJOY IT. Well earned.

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #154 of 6,808
Just found my way here for the first time and have read through it all. I don't know how I missed it in Dec when it started..... probably forgot to follow a link at the time.

What a cool journey. I knew watching a DIY'er come out of the egg would be a fun time, but seeing you produce a finished product that looks like you've been doing it for 20 years already is just awesome. The detailed information is sure to be helpful to others who are interesting in following you in this journey too.

Congrats Keenan and I'm looking forward to seeing what you post here in the future. Makes me wonder if you have any plans to do this as a side business, because you obviously have the ability for it.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #155 of 6,808
Thank you again for the support everyone, it means a lot to me that people have enjoyed following this thread, I hope to keep it going with other interesting projects. As of right I have no immediate plans to make amp building a side gig, but you never know what the future holds. It is a heck of a lot of work though, I would have to give it careful consideration.

I only have a little time tonight with the amp after work, so I decided I would do something drastic and change all of the tubes, why not. Here is an early black plate Fivre 5Z3 rectifier, another pair of Sylvania 6A5G albeit with the alternative flat plate construction, and some tubes that probably belong in a museum, metallized Marconi MH4.

DSCF5556.jpg

I also found some interesting knick knacks inside the box of one of my Telefunken REN904. The available datasheets for this tube are very sparse, this is the most complete one I have seen, first one I have found with full set of anode characteristic curves. If I ever get bored, I might scan and restore it in Photoshop, it is from 1938.

REN904 Datasheet.jpg REN904 Curves.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #156 of 6,808
Finally have a day off after finishing the amp. After running some errands this morning, getting to sit down and listen.

Using the early foil getter Sylvania 6A5G, Fivre 5Z3 rectifier, and Opta REN904. When I was messing around with these tubes in the GOTL, I had come to the conclusion the Opta REN904 was sort of a "tier 2" driver in this family. Boy was I wrong. Now properly biased and CCS loaded, the midrange detail and air is fantastic!

As I've mentioned before, I still love the HD650, especially for its ability to scale with upstream gear. This might be the best I have ever heard it. The staging, air, and midrange detail is pretty stunning considering the cost of this headphone. Really looking forward to trying others.

DSCF5559.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #157 of 6,808
I've been duped by Visseaux.

While working on this amp, I purchased a pair of French Visseaux 6A5G. This is the only other tube manufacturer to make the 6A5G other than Sylvania, likely under their license. My past experience with Visseaux tubes has been very positive, so I bit the bullet and paid a pretty penny for a NOS pair of these beauties.....

But while listening, there is an obvious audible hum, unlike the Sylvanias which are dead silent, and I immediately suspected they were not in fact indirectly heated, which was the major feature of the 6A5G over the 6B4G.

Took some measurements, and sure enough, there are 60Hz and 120Hz peaks down at something like -45dBFS!!! I checked continuity between the heaters and cathode to see if they were center-tapped (the other difference between 6B4G and 6A5G), and they certainly are. Very close inspection of the internals and I cannot see any obvious cathode sleeves...

IMAG1967.jpg

So, Visseaux appears to have made a sort of hybrid between a 6B4G and 6A5G despite the labeling. It is basically a 6B4G with center-tapped filaments, or a 6A5G without cathode sleeves. What a bother! It is too bad because they are excellent sounding tubes. They certainly aren't unusable, the hum is only very intrusive with quiet music. I'm hopeful it will be less obvious or even undetectable when listening with speakers. C'mon guys! What are you doing. Maybe they missed the memo (although the cathode is clearly in the Sylvania datasheet written in French...).

http://www.nj7p.org/Tubes/PDFs/Frank/121-Sylvania/6A5G.pdf

Thomas Mayer over on VinylSavor did mention in his article back in December that addition of these cathode sleeves likely made assembly very difficult, so maybe they thought center-tapping the filaments was good enough. Hey, some people swear by AC on DHT tubes, maybe it is a feature not a defect :) have to wonder if any of the Visseaux 6A5G do have cathode sleeves, but I am not likely to try again to find out.

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-of-month-6a5.html

In other news - I placed my order for the mains and parafeed transformers from Sowter for my 45 build. Timeline to receive them is up in the air given the ever-changing environment we are living in, we will see, I am not in any rush this time around. Exchanging emails with Brian Sowter, an interesting subject came up. It appears that Sowter has been acquired by Carnhill, and while he did not say it explicitly, it sounds as though Brian is planning to step away from the company after the transition and things are running "smoothly". I have no experience with them, being new to the game, but Brian Sowter is known for being one of the premier transformer designers working today. While I highly doubt the quality will suffer when he leaves, I certainly feel some sort of pressure to make a nice amp given these may be some of the last transformers made during his tenure with the company! So hopefully this parafeed build is successful.

Otherwise, still listening and enjoying the 6A5G amp. I am really blown away by the sound, I had hoped for it to be a "contender" with other tube amps I have heard, but it has truly exceeded my expectations, I hope I have a chance to share it with others in the near future.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #158 of 6,808
I've been duped by Visseaux.

While working on this amp, I purchased a pair of French Visseaux 6A5G. This is the only other tube manufacturer to make the 6A5G other than Sylvania, likely under their license. My past experience with Visseaux tubes has been very positive, so I bit the bullet and paid a pretty penny for a NOS pair of these beauties.....

But while listening, there is an obvious audible hum, unlike the Sylvanias which are dead silent, and I immediately suspected they were not in fact indirectly heated, which was the major feature of the 6A5G over the 6B4G.

Took some measurements, and sure enough, there are 60Hz and 120Hz peaks down at something like -45dBFS!!! I checked continuity between the heaters and cathode to see if they were center-tapped (the other difference between 6B4G and 6A5G), and they certainly are. Very close inspection of the internals and I cannot see any obvious cathode sleeves...

IMAG1967.jpg

So, Visseaux appears to have made a sort of hybrid between a 6B4G and 6A5G despite the labeling. It is basically a 6B4G with center-tapped filaments, or a 6A5G without cathode sleeves. What a bother! It is too bad because they are excellent sounding tubes. They certainly aren't unusable, the hum is only very intrusive with quiet music. I'm hopeful it will be less obvious or even undetectable when listening with speakers. C'mon guys! What are you doing. Maybe they missed the memo (although the cathode is clearly in the Sylvania datasheet written in French...).

http://www.nj7p.org/Tubes/PDFs/Frank/121-Sylvania/6A5G.pdf

Thomas Mayer over on VinylSavor did mention in his article back in December that addition of these cathode sleeves likely made assembly very difficult, so maybe they thought center-tapping the filaments was good enough. Hey, some people swear by AC on DHT tubes, maybe it is a feature not a defect :) have to wonder if any of the Visseaux 6A5G do have cathode sleeves, but I am not likely to try again to find out.

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-of-month-6a5.html

In other news - I placed my order for the mains and parafeed transformers from Sowter for my 45 build. Timeline to receive them is up in the air given the ever-changing environment we are living in, we will see, I am not in any rush this time around. Exchanging emails with Brian Sowter, an interesting subject came up. It appears that Sowter has been acquired by Carnhill, and while he did not say it explicitly, it sounds as though Brian is planning to step away from the company after the transition and things are running "smoothly". I have no experience with them, being new to the game, but Brian Sowter is known for being one of the premier transformer designers working today. While I highly doubt the quality will suffer when he leaves, I certainly feel some sort of pressure to make a nice amp given these may be some of the last transformers made during his tenure with the company! So hopefully this parafeed build is successful.

Otherwise, still listening and enjoying the 6A5G amp. I am really blown away by the sound, I had hoped for it to be a "contender" with other tube amps I have heard, but it has truly exceeded my expectations, I hope I have a chance to share it with others in the near future.

Hmmmmmmmm. Kinda troubling news all the way around.

Can't say I am overly thrilled about the sowter take over. If we are lucky the new company will have the cash flow required to hire some more workers and speed up production.

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #159 of 6,808
Hmmmmmmmm. Kinda troubling news all the way around.

Can't say I am overly thrilled about the sowter take over. If we are lucky the new company will have the cash flow required to hire some more workers and speed up production.

Yes, he also mentioned that Sowter has had a significant backlog lately, but their capacity will greatly increase with the Carnhill takeover once they are caught up. So looks like a changing of the guard with increased production, I'm guessing this is his retirement plan.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #160 of 6,808
I performed a series of experiments today.

As I mentioned in the build log, I placed a 9.1ohm resistor in parallel with the headphone output of my 6A5G SET amp. This gives the OPT an approximate 8ohm secondary impedance, which in turn gives the output tube its intended 3300ohm load.

Now there is no reason we have to use a 9.1ohm resistor, we can essentially adjust the primary load by adjusting the value of this resistor. Along the way, I purchased some other values for the express purpose of this experiment.

So today, I soldered some alligator clips onto a pair of 9.1ohm resistors and a pair of 16ohm resistors. I wanted to see the effect on the sound with an approximate 8ohm secondary, 16ohm secondary, and no parallel resistance. With no parallel resistance, the full 300ohm impedance of my headphone is reflected across the transformer, giving the output tube a nearly flat AC load line.

IMAG1976.jpg

Measurements with the three setups showed no effect on frequency response. However, it did affect distortion. The below numbers are all at ~0.5V RMS output, which I have found is close to my listening volume.

8ohm: 0.33% THD, H2 at -54dBFS, H3 -80dBFS
16ohm: 0.17% THD, H2 at -60dBFS, H3 -80dBFS
No resistance: 0.077% THD, H2 at -65dBFS, H3 -80dBFS

As expected, second harmonic varied with changes in parallel resistance while the higher order harmonics remained relatively constant. So obviously the "no resistance" config sounded best since it had the least amount of second harmonic distortion, right? Nope! Subjective listening told a different story.

I listened to 15-20s loops of very familiar music and was able to quickly clip in and out different resistances for comparison. For the most dramatic difference - and to get a grasp of the audible changes - I compared the 8ohm and "no resistance" setups first. Removing the resistance entirely and reducing the amount of H2 resulted in a more pronounced center image and reduction in perceived lateral space and layering. Instrument separation was lessened in this configuration, while the center image was closer and more pronounced. There was a relative increase harshness as well. The reduction in the sense of lateral space made several instruments in sound field lie on top of one another rather than a more spacious, wide distribution, which resulted in a perceived decrease in clarity.

Comparison of the 8ohm and 16ohm secondary configurations told a similar albeit less pronounced story - smaller soundstage, less instrument separation, more pronounced center image, a bit more harsh. The higher H2 provides a more well-distrubted, layered, and airy sound field. So after all of that, I ended up sticking with my original 8ohm secondary configuration LOL but hey, I wanted to see the effect.

Once again, this shows that good measurements do not beget good sound. As Bob Katz discussed in his Innerfidelity article "Adventures in Distortion", what I suspect is happening is the increased H2 is masking the higher order harmonics, which are much more detrimental to sound. Likely other factors in play too.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-25-adventures-distortion

Katz determined -60dBFS to be the optimal amount of H2 for a pleasing listen, however, I felt the -54dBFS config still held an advantage. Just goes to show, we all hear it differently :)

Obligatory YMMV, my subjective listening impressions, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #161 of 6,808
I performed a series of experiments today.

As I mentioned in the build log, I placed a 9.1ohm resistor in parallel with the headphone output of my 6A5G SET amp. This gives the OPT an approximate 8ohm secondary impedance, which in turn gives the output tube its intended 3300ohm load.

Now there is no reason we have to use a 9.1ohm resistor, we can essentially adjust the primary load by adjusting the value of this resistor. Along the way, I purchased some other values for the express purpose of this experiment.

So today, I soldered some alligator clips onto a pair of 9.1ohm resistors and a pair of 16ohm resistors. I wanted to see the effect on the sound with an approximate 8ohm secondary, 16ohm secondary, and no parallel resistance. With no parallel resistance, the full 300ohm impedance of my headphone is reflected across the transformer, giving the output tube a nearly flat AC load line.

IMAG1976.jpg

Measurements with the three setups showed no effect on frequency response. However, it did affect distortion. The below numbers are all at ~0.5V RMS output, which I have found is close to my listening volume.

8ohm: 0.33% THD, H2 at -54dBFS, H3 -80dBFS
16ohm: 0.17% THD, H2 at -60dBFS, H3 -80dBFS
No resistance: 0.077% THD -65dBFS, H3 -80dBFS

As expected, second harmonic varied with changes in parallel resistance while the higher order harmonics remained relatively constant. So obviously the "no resistance" config sounded best since it had the least amount of second harmonic distortion, right? Nope! Subjective listening told a different story.

I listened to 15-20s loops of very familiar music and was able to quickly clip in and out different resistances for comparison. For the most dramatic difference - and to get a grasp of the audible changes - I compared the 8ohm and "no resistance" setups first. Removing the resistance entirely and reducing the amount of H2 resulted in a more pronounced center image and reduction in perceived lateral space and layering. Instrument separation was lessened in this configuration, while the center image was closer and more pronounced. There was a relative increase harshness as well. The reduction in the sense of lateral space made several instruments in sound field lie on top of one another rather than a more spacious, wide distribution, which resulted in a perceived decrease in clarity.

Comparison of the 8ohm and 16ohm secondary configurations told a similar albeit less pronounced story - smaller soundstage, less instrument separation, more pronounced center image, a bit more harsh. The higher H2 provides a more well-distrubted, layered, and airy sound field. So after all of that, I ended up sticking with my original 8ohm secondary configuration LOL but hey, I wanted to see the effect.

Once again, this shows that good measurements do not beget good sound. As Bob Katz discussed in his Innerfidelity article "Adventures in Distortion", what I suspect is happening is the increased H2 is masking the higher order harmonics, which are much more detrimental to sound.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-25-adventures-distortion

Katz determined -60dBFS to be the optimal amount of H2 for a pleasing listen, however, I felt the -54dBFS config still held an advantage. Just goes to show, we all hear it differently :)

Obligatory YMMV, my subjective listening impressions, etc. etc. etc.

Very interesting indeed. The thing to look at would be the frequency and phase response for the varying resistance.

One thing @johnjen mentioned to me with our experiments is that the parallel resistor will actually compensate for the headphone's rising impedance curve. In other words, the amplifier will see a near perfect resistive load on the secondary, so the primary impedance remains somewhat constant.

Mar 24, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #162 of 6,808
One thing @johnjen mentioned to me with our experiments is that the parallel resistor will actually compensate for the headphone's rising impedance curve. In other words, the amplifier will see a near perfect resistive load on the secondary, so the primary impedance remains somewhat constant.

Interesting...I didn't look into phase measurements, but I'll be repeating the process on the 45 amp and will measure in tandem with the FR.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #163 of 6,808
Early on in the design of this amp, I had planned to put DC on the heaters and use a voltage regulator. For that reason, I collected driver tubes in the MH4 family that have 4V 0.65A heaters, rather than 1A. Well DC on the heaters was thrown out and I don't regret it, however I was concerned that I would not be able to use my 0.65A tubes given the heaters would be run over voltage.

Today I put them in anway and took some measurements. Thankfully, the voltage is not as excessive as I expected, around 4.5V, I can live with that. Great news because I can use the Mullard NR52, a fantastic driver tube. Started playing around with different rectifiers today, no super critical A-B listening, but so far any differences are very subtle.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm still mindblown by how good this amp sounds, getting performance out of my headphones that I simply haven't heard before. I keep waiting for my ears/brain to adjust and tell me it actually isn't all that great, but it just hasn't happened, the next song comes on and I get goosebumps again.

DSCF5562.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #164 of 6,808
I ordered the chassis for the 45 amp today, decided I would do myself a favor and allow my chassis maker to do more of the drilling this time around. Here is the layout:

Chassis 1.png Chassis 2.png

The chassis will be in silver with black hardware, matching the Sowter transformers. Tubes will be all in a row, 6J5 on the interior, 45 on the exterior. Going for a more understated, minimalist look. Included some ventilation on the back of the top plate behind the parafeed transformers. Also, the entire bottom plate will be perforated aluminum sheet metal for ventilation.

I don't think I documented this anywhere in the thread, but I have abandoned using the EL83 pentode as the 45 plate load. After crunching the numbers, the pentode CCS brings along too much baggage with too little performance. SO, we have moved back to an all solid-state, cascode CCS loaded design, on both the 6J5 and 45. I have laid out the chassis for the use of a pair of specific heat sinks mounted to the back panel, with cutouts such that the MOSFETs can be mounted directly onto them.

On the transformer front, I won't be receiving them for 2-3 months, so they will again be the rate-determing step. Not a problem as I am still grooving to the 6A5 amp, happy to take it slow this time. At this point though, part selection is nearly complete, just need to dial in final values, should be a nice little amp.

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #165 of 6,808
Since I have a nice pair of XF2 EL34 on hand, and the pinout is somewhat similar to the 6A5G, thought I would do a little experimenting with them today. I had originally planned to use the triode-strapped EL34 in this amp, but then I was introduced to the 6A5G, and the rest is history. Let's see what I am missing out on!

To run these as triodes, I shorted g3 to the cathode, connected a 100ohm 1/2W resistor from g2 to the plate, and paralleled a resistor across the 6A5G cathode resistor with some alligator clips. I had an extra pair of 750ohm 5W resistors from the build (same as the 6A5G cathode resistor), giving me a 375ohm cathode to ground resistance when placed in parallel.

Measurements with the tubes in place gave me this bias point:

Va-k: 295V
Vk: 20V
Ia (based on curves): ~70mA

Not bad! I didn't bother center-tapping the heaters since this isn't permament, so there is a litle hum, but not a bother with music playing.

Distortion measurements show 0.68% THD with H2 at around -48dBFS with ~0.5V into 300ohm. About twice the THD of the 6A5G, which is expected since the EL34 isn't a true triode.

DSCF5569.jpg

So how do they sound? Really good! Some of the ridiculous staging and airiness of the 6A5G is lost, but the EL34 is no slouch itself. The increased distortion gives it a warmer, smoother tonality, still very pleasing and dynamic. A very nice sound. Still happy with the 6A5G and I will be switching back, but I might leave these in for the day for a healthy listen (and I'm too lazy to reverse it right now :)).

Gotta stay busy at home! Fun times with tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back