L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,171 of 4,419
yes, i knew that, LOL. my issue was a weird one... it turned out that usb cable wasn't making a good connection and you can't really see dac otherwise. i tried on other dac that's just bus powered and saw no lights.... moved usb connection a bit and it turned on. once i got that, it worked perfectly.

side q though: singxer su-1 to lks004, normal hdmi cable works as long as dip switches set right? or do i need a special one? i have a flexible one that's 5" but it doesn't seem to work. ill double check dip switches tomorrow, but for now, i was curious if I am missing something?
The Singxer firmware should be 2.20 for the lks and not 2.22.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #1,173 of 4,419
HDMI are all under the same specifications. It is the terminations of it configurations that differ from one to another. Except all of the technicality aside. Audio that transmit via I2S only use 6-8 signals line at max out of the 21 wires of an HDMI. The DIP switch allow you to configure it correctly so you can use any HDMI cables just fine

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #1,174 of 4,419
Mixed feelings on the LKS 004 this far. I bought it second hand, this is the newest version with the upgraded USB board and all of the cooling upgrades etc done.

Anyways, two days and running it all day with around 6 hours of critical listening. (Keep in mind this DAC is broke in)

Compared to my Chord 2 Qute which I've been running very happily for the last two years, here's my comparisons so far:

The LKS 004 mid range/voice frequencies are quite a bit more recessed and not as forward. This has the illusion of making the soundstage deeper and possibly more transparent sounding. But I feel myself needing to turn it up to hear the voices over the instruments. It does have tons of detail and very clean sound. Imaging is superb, soundstage width seems on par with the 2Qute. There is no harshness or sibilance on the highest registers. Very airy sounding.

Ultimately for me in my system though, it is now lacking some meat on the bones in the mid range and bass range. I will give it more time and I will be swapping my Chord DAC back in to compare again. For now, the 2Qute has a lot more punch and musicality behind it, and the treble is no slouch either. It also has a more forward sound which seems to work better in my system.

For reference I am running pure silver throughout all of my interconnects. I'm running an Allo Digione streamer through BNC cable to the LKS 004, then to a Linear Tube Audio MZ2 pre amp, to a Line Magnetic 508, both units running upgraded tubes. This is running Audionote AN-E LX HE speakers.

I may try to introduce some copper interconnect back into the mix and see if I can get a nice balance between details/transparency and some meat on the bones in the mids/bass area. I also haven't tried the USB connection but I do have a nice copper based cable that may help matters out.

These are just preliminary comparisons and I'll keep them coming as I swap out gear. The LKS is still a beautiful sounding DAC and the build quality and physical weight is beyond comparison!

...don't forget other peoples opinions say that the 004 is as good as an £8000 dave. With lots of excellent parts and the only one to have the ESS latest ES9038pro flagship DAC,dual-core MONO scheme + a 100 MHz, Crystek, 575 clock, that is a good part. You would need to go to something like a Pulsar to make significant improvement to the '575'. + twin JFET field effect transistor input, + last pole 3A power tube output. Swiss Schute frozen version fuse. Furukawa FI03 gold-plated power outlet. Cardas rhodium-plated RCA audio output. Neutirk balanced output.

Please don't be too hasty as your ears and brain will attune to this device over time.Give it a few good months. As to the actually sound, rather than changing components and cables etc. have you thought of using good old: "bass/middle/treble" controls on (say) an amp? Or a graphic equalizer (hardware/software)? XXHE? Audiophile Optimizer? Fidelizer?

....enjoy your listening experiences!

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,175 of 4,419
HDMI are all under the same specifications. It is the terminations of it configurations that differ from one to another. Except all of the technicality aside. Audio that transmit via I2S only use 6-8 signals line at max out of the 21 wires of an HDMI. The DIP switch allow you to configure it correctly so you can use any HDMI cables just fine
Yes. I would care more about if the cable is shielded and terminated properly rather than if its thick or thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back