L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 8, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,157 of 4,419
Just wonder if anyone tried connecting ground box to the dac?
I used the ART cleanbox2 on my electrical wirings but not connecting to the dac. I used it in between my av receiver and the amplifier with the intention to eliminate any hum noises from power strip cables . For the dac, I prefer direct pure silver cable to the amplifier.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,159 of 4,419
I am talking about this
17388672-MiIpS.jpg

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #1,160 of 4,419
I am talking about this
No. Had not tried that. Sounds like a wooden box with some magic soil inside. Pretty expensive to get one and try it out. I'm thinking the whole thing is about connecting the audio equipment to earth right? I might try a DIY on this. Get a wooden box. Go to the garden, get some soil to fill it up. Punch a few nails into the box. Use speaker cables to clamp outputs from DAC to the nails. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #1,161 of 4,419
No. Had not tried that. Sounds like a wooden box with some magic soil inside. Pretty expensive to get one and try it out. I'm thinking the whole thing is about connecting the audio equipment to earth right? I might try a DIY on this. Get a wooden box. Go to the garden, get some soil to fill it up. Punch a few nails into the box. Use speaker cables to clamp outputs from DAC to the nails. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Fill the box with corpse and bone, and the dirt from a graveyard. It sounds better that way :D

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #1,164 of 4,419
Woa, trying out HQPlayer! Thanks @littlexx26 for the configuration picture. I am playing it back now. Awesome ! Different filters do different things ! Crazily awesome.

My favorite now is Poly Sinc Shrt mp 2s

Now I need to figure out this library thing X_X
You can actually use Jriver library management and HQplayer for playback. Check out https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...r-to-hqplayer-a-very-limited-solution/?page=8. Works for me, not a bad option if you like HQPlayer playback but not its ui or library management (and you dont want to pay for Roon as well). Somehow, I never get that excited about HQPlayer even though technically it should be lot better than jriver.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #1,167 of 4,419
Mixed feelings on the LKS 004 this far. I bought it second hand, this is the newest version with the upgraded USB board and all of the cooling upgrades etc done.

Anyways, two days and running it all day with around 6 hours of critical listening. (Keep in mind this DAC is broke in)

Compared to my Chord 2 Qute which I've been running very happily for the last two years, here's my comparisons so far:

The LKS 004 mid range/voice frequencies are quite a bit more recessed and not as forward. This has the illusion of making the soundstage deeper and possibly more transparent sounding. But I feel myself needing to turn it up to hear the voices over the instruments. It does have tons of detail and very clean sound. Imaging is superb, soundstage width seems on par with the 2Qute. There is no harshness or sibilance on the highest registers. Very airy sounding.

Ultimately for me in my system though, it is now lacking some meat on the bones in the mid range and bass range. I will give it more time and I will be swapping my Chord DAC back in to compare again. For now, the 2Qute has a lot more punch and musicality behind it, and the treble is no slouch either. It also has a more forward sound which seems to work better in my system.

For reference I am running pure silver throughout all of my interconnects. I'm running an Allo Digione streamer through BNC cable to the LKS 004, then to a Linear Tube Audio MZ2 pre amp, to a Line Magnetic 508, both units running upgraded tubes. This is running Audionote AN-E LX HE speakers.

I may try to introduce some copper interconnect back into the mix and see if I can get a nice balance between details/transparency and some meat on the bones in the mids/bass area. I also haven't tried the USB connection but I do have a nice copper based cable that may help matters out.

These are just preliminary comparisons and I'll keep them coming as I swap out gear. The LKS is still a beautiful sounding DAC and the build quality and physical weight is beyond comparison!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,169 of 4,419
There are no dip switches on the LKS004. Some external usb/i2s bridges like the Singxer SU-1 will have dip switches.

yes, i knew that, LOL. my issue was a weird one... it turned out that usb cable wasn't making a good connection and you can't really see dac otherwise. i tried on other dac that's just bus powered and saw no lights.... moved usb connection a bit and it turned on. once i got that, it worked perfectly.

side q though: singxer su-1 to lks004, normal hdmi cable works as long as dip switches set right? or do i need a special one? i have a flexible one that's 5" but it doesn't seem to work. ill double check dip switches tomorrow, but for now, i was curious if I am missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back