L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 18, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,187 of 4,419
...don't forget other peoples opinions say that the 004 is as good as an £8000 dave. With lots of excellent parts and the only one to have the ESS latest ES9038pro flagship DAC,dual-core MONO scheme + a 100 MHz, Crystek, 575 clock, that is a good part. You would need to go to something like a Pulsar to make significant improvement to the '575'. + twin JFET field effect transistor input, + last pole 3A power tube output. Swiss Schute frozen version fuse. Furukawa FI03 gold-plated power outlet. Cardas rhodium-plated RCA audio output. Neutirk balanced output.

Please don't be too hasty as your ears and brain will attune to this device over time.Give it a few good months. As to the actually sound, rather than changing components and cables etc. have you thought of using good old: "bass/middle/treble" controls on (say) an amp? Or a graphic equalizer (hardware/software)? XXHE? Audiophile Optimizer? Fidelizer?

....enjoy your listening experiences!

OK I'm back! What a clusterfawk.

Things are better. So I had recently picked up a Furutech silver cord with Furutech rhodium plated BNC on one end for the DAC and a Furutech rhodium plated coaxial on the other going to my Auralic Aries streamer (it doesn't have BNC) Wasn't performing well on either the LKS or the 2Qute. But surprisingly a coaxial connection to either DAC didn't sound right either. Just didn't sound the same as my previous set up. Shrunken soundstage, weak bass, something not right. In all fairness my other streamer (Allo Digione) was running a custom Takefiveaudio solid core silver BNC to BNC. I was starting to think this cord is what was making the magic? But no, couldn't be.

Anyways long story short, I completely disconnected all my wiring and put it all back. I'm now running a "lowly" Audioquest Cinnamon usb to both DACS and they are sounding terrific.

After a lot more critical listening time, here are the major differences I'm detecting.

As mentioned by another poster previously in this thread, the LKS lacks some PRAT compared to the 2 Qute. Not as jumpy and lacks some meat on the bones, especially male voices and string plucks. Puts out less energy than the 2Qute in these aspects.

But the LKS has a wider, deeper soudstage with more detail, but never etching. Very airy treble. The voices are definitely recessed a bit compared to the 2 Qute. It's a dryer, more analytical sound.

I'm not saying any of these characteristics are a pro or con, it all depends on system synergy.

But I will say this, now that I've got my wiring gremlins figured out and it's back to it's previous fidelity, I'm really starting to warm up to the LKS.

I also like the fact it has very high end parts and build quality. And I can change inputs with the remote! With the 2 Qute, I'd need to get up and click a button on the back. Not to mention this LKS is a sexy beast.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,189 of 4,419
OK I'm back! What a clusterfawk.

Things are better. So I had recently picked up a Furutech silver cord with Furutech rhodium plated BNC on one end for the DAC and a Furutech rhodium plated coaxial on the other going to my Auralic Aries streamer (it doesn't have BNC) Wasn't performing well on either the LKS or the 2Qute. But surprisingly a coaxial connection to either DAC didn't sound right either. Just didn't sound the same as my previous set up. Shrunken soundstage, weak bass, something not right. In all fairness my other streamer (Allo Digione) was running a custom Takefiveaudio solid core silver BNC to BNC. I was starting to think this cord is what was making the magic? But no, couldn't be.

Anyways long story short, I completely disconnected all my wiring and put it all back. I'm now running a "lowly" Audioquest Cinnamon usb to both DACS and they are sounding terrific.

After a lot more critical listening time, here are the major differences I'm detecting.

As mentioned by another poster previously in this thread, the LKS lacks some PRAT compared to the 2 Qute. Not as jumpy and lacks some meat on the bones, especially male voices and string plucks. Puts out less energy than the 2Qute in these aspects.

But the LKS has a wider, deeper soudstage with more detail, but never etching. Very airy treble. The voices are definitely recessed a bit compared to the 2 Qute. It's a dryer, more analytical sound.

I'm not saying any of these characteristics are a pro or con, it all depends on system synergy.

But I will say this, now that I've got my wiring gremlins figured out and it's back to it's previous fidelity, I'm really starting to warm up to the LKS.

I also like the fact it has very high end parts and build quality. And I can change inputs with the remote! With the 2 Qute, I'd need to get up and click a button on the back. Not to mention this LKS is a sexy beast.
I also have the Audioquest Cinnamon. In my experience, that was OK but not great. Had switched to the iFi Mercury 3.0 and that is an obvious improvement for me. It's just me though, so I can't promise that to others.

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,190 of 4,419
this may work for people in the USA. i got this cable from adorama. it says it's 30cm but due to being coiled, it's very short and neat and a perfect fit.

Attachments

• DSC01215.JPG
    DSC01215.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,191 of 4,419
Back again! And I'm here to right my wrongs. Read at your own peril. :fearful:

Current equipment:

Auralic Aries Mini streamer---->LKS 004 DAC---->Linear Tube Audio MZ2 pre amp (upgraded tubes)---->Line Magnetic 508 amplifier (upgraded tubes)---->Audio Note Kit 003 speakers (AN E/LX He specs). I'm using all solid core silver interconnects, upgraded fuses, power cables and outlet etc.

My preferred genres are modern Folk/Americana, reggae, and some blues along with anything with strings.

I spent two full weeks and many hours A/B'ing the LKS 004 against my Chord 2Qute and I could not find any reason to keep the LKS. I could not hear what the hype on this unit. In my previous posts I was really reaching to give it any positives over my 2Qute. Long story but that has changed dramatically. Believe it or not, I already had the LKS 004 all sealed back in its box and back for sale on another audio site before I just had a nagging feeling to give it one more shot. Keep in mind I tried different cables, inputs and sources in my previous comparisons.

Lately I've been bad for changing more than one component/interconnect/power cables/outlet etc in my system at the same time before first hearing what each change has made. I usually have no problem with this as I enjoy hearing my system change as a whole vs singling out every single change as an experiment. (Mostly because I've done a pile of research beforehand and can reasonably expect if the synergy will be there or not) If there is something in my system that isn't working, I will then start changing out components. In all fairness, I work two weeks on, two weeks off. So a lot of times, I'll make an audio purchase(s), then can hardly wait to get home again and get them set up. Although it sounds as if I don't have much of a sound preference, I do, and ultimately all my purchases and swaps are geared toward bettering that.

I've never been more content with my audio system than before this last go around of equipment a few weeks ago. (I was streaming through an Allo Digione to my Chord 2Qute DAC, all else was the same as above) It was working really well but how could I resist all the positivity surrounding the LKS 004? (Expansive soundstage, increased micro dynamics and details, extra air, analog smoothness, feature set etc) And for how much? Yes please! I'd never even thought twice about replacing my 2Qute over the last three years as I never viewed it as the bottleneck in my system. But now that I've done all my cable/fuse upgrades etc, the LKS 004 was looking mighty appealing. So I purchased a lightly used one.

At the same time, I purchased a new Auralic Aries Mini streamer as I was getting very tired of using Tidal Hi Fi to the Allo Digione (Multiple apps and crashes). Not to mention trying to explain to the wife how to troubleshoot it. I also just picked up my last solid silver core interconnect that replaced the last of the copper interconnects in my system. A USB cord upgrade is next, possibly the Curious cable.

So I plunked the new gear in (Streamer and cable) and listened for several hours with my old DAC (2Qute) Things sounded very much the same (not a bad thing!) although the Auralic Aries Mini was not broken in yet. The new cables were already cooked and I could hear a bit more transparency/insight with them in the chain.

This is when I started demo'ing the LKS 004. It was plugged into the same Tripp Lite Isolator I've always used on most of my front end gear. The pre amp and amp have their own outlet with no conditioning. The LKS was very flat and thin sounding lacking a lot bass. All mid range and string pluck energy was gone. That's when I started experimenting with different cables, sources, filters and outputs to no effect. After a week or so of popping it in and out of the chain, I gave up as the 2Qute was startling better in every regard once back in the chain. So the LKS 004 went back in the box and was waiting for its new owner to purchase it. I'm not a big fan of waiting long periods of time to let my ears get accustomed to something. I either like it or I don't, unless it's obvious the component isn't broke in yet.

But alas, something was nagging me. It was at this point I pulled the LKS box back out and put it back on the shelf. I had to be missing something. So I removed my Tripp Lite Isolator from the chain and moved some power cables around. I fired the LKS 004 up cold with the factory USB cable that comes with it and holy fawk. Where is all this bass coming from? It sounds amazing! Did I accidentally leave my 2Qute plugged in? After a quick double check of everything, this was the LKS I was hearing. Wow. And also, what in the hell? The 2Qute had sounded just fine with the previous set up.

I'm still a little stumped. I know some people are of the belief that power conditioning can take away some dynamics and energy from digital sources. But my experience hadn't showed me that's the case with any of my previous gear. I have previously experimented pulling it out of the chain before but never had any "aha" moments like this.

After listening for awhile with the factory supplied USB cable, I switched between my Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable and a Furutech RCA to BNC input. They both sounded astounding so I'm sticking with the USB input although, as mentioned, a new USB cable will be on the way shortly. Really want to try that Curious Cable!

So here are my final comparisons between the 2Qute and the LKS 004: There is no comparison! Just kidding.

I'd have to say the only thing that the 2Qute has on the LKS 004 is a touch more dynamics. It's a little more jumpier and playful, this comes even more into play at low volume listening. But I couldn't consider this a deal breaker by any means.

The LKS 004 trumps it everywhere else, including bass energy now. It plays low, controlled and doesn't leave me wanting in this aspect at all. The soundstage is massive. It may have added a bit more width but the depth is where it really shines over the 2Qute. Details, especially micro details are much more apparent. The treble is airy and smooth with never a hint of glare or etch, even at higher volume levels. Mid range is beautiful and it now carries energy in spades. I'm a very happy camper now.

I stated in a previous post that the LKS 004 had quite recessed vocals. Well not anymore. They are now exactly as they should be.

Thanks for reading, and in conclusion this DAC is outstanding, especially for the price, build, features and high end parts. The sound speaks for itself. I'm so glad I didn't give up or I'd be missing out big time. :ksc75smile:

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,193 of 4,419
Back again! And I'm here to right my wrongs. Read at your own peril. :fearful:

Current equipment:

Auralic Aries Mini streamer---->LKS 004 DAC---->Linear Tube Audio MZ2 pre amp (upgraded tubes)---->Line Magnetic 508 amplifier (upgraded tubes)---->Audio Note Kit 003 speakers (AN E/LX He specs). I'm using all solid core silver interconnects, upgraded fuses, power cables and outlet etc.

My preferred genres are modern Folk/Americana, reggae, and some blues along with anything with strings.

I spent two full weeks and many hours A/B'ing the LKS 004 against my Chord 2Qute and I could not find any reason to keep the LKS. I could not hear what the hype on this unit. In my previous posts I was really reaching to give it any positives over my 2Qute. Long story but that has changed dramatically. Believe it or not, I already had the LKS 004 all sealed back in its box and back for sale on another audio site before I just had a nagging feeling to give it one more shot. Keep in mind I tried different cables, inputs and sources in my previous comparisons.

Lately I've been bad for changing more than one component/interconnect/power cables/outlet etc in my system at the same time before first hearing what each change has made. I usually have no problem with this as I enjoy hearing my system change as a whole vs singling out every single change as an experiment. (Mostly because I've done a pile of research beforehand and can reasonably expect if the synergy will be there or not) If there is something in my system that isn't working, I will then start changing out components. In all fairness, I work two weeks on, two weeks off. So a lot of times, I'll make an audio purchase(s), then can hardly wait to get home again and get them set up. Although it sounds as if I don't have much of a sound preference, I do, and ultimately all my purchases and swaps are geared toward bettering that.

I've never been more content with my audio system than before this last go around of equipment a few weeks ago. (I was streaming through an Allo Digione to my Chord 2Qute DAC, all else was the same as above) It was working really well but how could I resist all the positivity surrounding the LKS 004? (Expansive soundstage, increased micro dynamics and details, extra air, analog smoothness, feature set etc) And for how much? Yes please! I'd never even thought twice about replacing my 2Qute over the last three years as I never viewed it as the bottleneck in my system. But now that I've done all my cable/fuse upgrades etc, the LKS 004 was looking mighty appealing. So I purchased a lightly used one.

At the same time, I purchased a new Auralic Aries Mini streamer as I was getting very tired of using Tidal Hi Fi to the Allo Digione (Multiple apps and crashes). Not to mention trying to explain to the wife how to troubleshoot it. I also just picked up my last solid silver core interconnect that replaced the last of the copper interconnects in my system. A USB cord upgrade is next, possibly the Curious cable.

So I plunked the new gear in (Streamer and cable) and listened for several hours with my old DAC (2Qute) Things sounded very much the same (not a bad thing!) although the Auralic Aries Mini was not broken in yet. The new cables were already cooked and I could hear a bit more transparency/insight with them in the chain.

This is when I started demo'ing the LKS 004. It was plugged into the same Tripp Lite Isolator I've always used on most of my front end gear. The pre amp and amp have their own outlet with no conditioning. The LKS was very flat and thin sounding lacking a lot bass. All mid range and string pluck energy was gone. That's when I started experimenting with different cables, sources, filters and outputs to no effect. After a week or so of popping it in and out of the chain, I gave up as the 2Qute was startling better in every regard once back in the chain. So the LKS 004 went back in the box and was waiting for its new owner to purchase it. I'm not a big fan of waiting long periods of time to let my ears get accustomed to something. I either like it or I don't, unless it's obvious the component isn't broke in yet.

But alas, something was nagging me. It was at this point I pulled the LKS box back out and put it back on the shelf. I had to be missing something. So I removed my Tripp Lite Isolator from the chain and moved some power cables around. I fired the LKS 004 up cold with the factory USB cable that comes with it and holy fawk. Where is all this bass coming from? It sounds amazing! Did I accidentally leave my 2Qute plugged in? After a quick double check of everything, this was the LKS I was hearing. Wow. And also, what in the hell? The 2Qute had sounded just fine with the previous set up.

I'm still a little stumped. I know some people are of the belief that power conditioning can take away some dynamics and energy from digital sources. But my experience hadn't showed me that's the case with any of my previous gear. I have previously experimented pulling it out of the chain before but never had any "aha" moments like this.

After listening for awhile with the factory supplied USB cable, I switched between my Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable and a Furutech RCA to BNC input. They both sounded astounding so I'm sticking with the USB input although, as mentioned, a new USB cable will be on the way shortly. Really want to try that Curious Cable!

So here are my final comparisons between the 2Qute and the LKS 004: There is no comparison! Just kidding.

I'd have to say the only thing that the 2Qute has on the LKS 004 is a touch more dynamics. It's a little more jumpier and playful, this comes even more into play at low volume listening. But I couldn't consider this a deal breaker by any means.

The LKS 004 trumps it everywhere else, including bass energy now. It plays low, controlled and doesn't leave me wanting in this aspect at all. The soundstage is massive. It may have added a bit more width but the depth is where it really shines over the 2Qute. Details, especially micro details are much more apparent. The treble is airy and smooth with never a hint of glare or etch, even at higher volume levels. Mid range is beautiful and it now carries energy in spades. I'm a very happy camper now.

I stated in a previous post that the LKS 004 had quite recessed vocals. Well not anymore. They are now exactly as they should be.

Thanks for reading, and in conclusion this DAC is outstanding, especially for the price, build, features and high end parts. The sound speaks for itself. I'm so glad I didn't give up or I'd be missing out big time. :ksc75smile:
Surprised that adding an isolator can make so much difference to the LK S004 (and not the 2Qute !!). Now that you are getting the sound you want, have you tried adding the Tripp Lite isolator back to see if it's really the culprit.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,194 of 4,419
I wouldn't think so, LOL! But I have been trying to stop convincing others on about what is good and what is not anymore....I am kinda getting tired of it. As I already stated about this 004 on my first impression much earlier, this 004 if was not make in china and by LSK, you would be thinking a $6,000 pricing for it would also be reasonable. I say this because of how it was designed technically speaking and performances to prove.

Is it better than Yggy A2 if you heard it as well ?

Also anyone know if it has a warranty?

How does it compare to other TOTL Dacs like holo spring lvl 3, Benchmark dac3 ?

I will be running it only via usb so I assume the usb upgrade for $150 is worth it ?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #1,195 of 4,419
Surprised that adding an isolator can make so much difference to the LK S004 (and not the 2Qute !!). Now that you are getting the sound you want, have you tried adding the Tripp Lite isolator back to see if it's really the culprit.

No I didn't change anything back. I just enjoyed the music, then had to come back to work. (Out of town) I will play around some more once I get back. I'd really like to pinpoint what the problem was there.

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,196 of 4,419
for good quality isolated transformer at affordable price, try Keces from taiwan

Thanks, I probably won't bother with any more power conditioning. We've got pretty clean, quiet power where we are and I live far out of any cities. I mainly wanted the Tripp Lite for surge suppression but I turn my gear off if there's major lightning in the area and unplug all my gear when I'm not home.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,197 of 4,419
How long does the DA004 need to warm up for before sounding its best? I am assuming its not like a ladder dac that needs several days?

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,198 of 4,419
Power conditioner of any kind suck. The only thing I used now is Furman References IT15, but even so, that is only best used in places where you really need more outlets, and if your line has horrible DC leakages from other equipments, and even a light bulb will do.

The best of the best is a dedicated circuitry, straight from the circuit breaker, the main panel into the outlets itself. You can hook one breaker line into 5-6 outlets and it wouldn’t matter as they are all very clean and hooked into your equipments only, no furnitures or applicances, or anything that has ripples that can leak back into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back