L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #993 of 4,419
Coax via rca never give me such error, maybe your cables or source ?
cable is good because I used it on my rig from sound card. Instead to plugging into this dac i had it plugged into other protable dac and it worked. when i switched to usb input, everything works just fine. i guess i could try aes, but I just wanted to try direct coax from soundcard to bypass usb completely

what's "MU"?

the manufacturer mu audio

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #995 of 4,419
Gents, what is the date of the latest Amanero firmware? Also, there is a March 2018 firmware release here: https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/LKS/
Dont quite understand. If your usb is working
Also, on the D004 product page there is a link that just says "Driver:http://www.mu-sound.com/about.asp?id=3" What is that a driver for? (mu-sound seems to be down now.)

Should I update the firmware and driver, and if so, how do I do it? :)
Dont understand. If your usb output is working, then your driver is working. I assume you are on windows or you dont need drivers anyway. Where are you outputting coax from. Onboard audio from pc? Then you should install motherboard audio drivers.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #997 of 4,419
I'm using USB in. It works, but if LKS sees fit to release a firmware update I believe they did it for a reason and I should probably update the firmware. Same for the Amanero USB. Often, these releases are not just bug fixes, but new or improved features or improved sound quality.

I'm running a Windows 10 Roon server to a Sonore ultraRendu or to a SOtM 200 ultra trifecta. Both are Linux, I believe.

Thanks for your help!

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #998 of 4,419
Has anyone had a chance to look into what the ES9038Pro does when it takes in PCM ? I am talking about Oversampling processing from the 9038Pro, what rate is it doing at 2x or 4x or 8x or 16x ?
Depends if you are oversampling pcm to higher pcm or dsd. 9038pro in 004 can do both. For pcm, as high as 384k. For pcm to dsd upsampling, as high as 8x which is 512dsd or 22.8m. In jrive, go to setting and dsp & output format.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #999 of 4,419
Depends if you are oversampling pcm to higher pcm or dsd. 9038pro in 004 can do both. For pcm, as high as 384k. For pcm to dsd upsampling, as high as 8x which is 512dsd or 22.8m. In jrive, go to setting and dsp & output format.
Yeah, this part I do realize, but I wonder if using pcm 384khz, does es9038Pro process it by going 8X ? Lks004 is basically capable of DSD 1024 by i2s ....I do not know what source out there can do this yet

Though, how do u update the DAC firmware lol

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #1,000 of 4,419
I wanted to summarize so I dont go crazy.

If you're running via USB, then you need the drivers. If you are running coax or opt directly from on board sound (back of PC), then you need nothing buy cable and it should work? Or, I am missing something? I tried everything (coax and optical) but I still get that error: Unrecoverable playback error: Could not initialize the driver

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #1,001 of 4,419
I wanted to summarize so I dont go crazy.

If you're running via USB, then you need the drivers. If you are running coax or opt directly from on board sound (back of PC), then you need nothing buy cable and it should work? Or, I am missing something? I tried everything (coax and optical) but I still get that error: Unrecoverable playback error: Could not initialize the driver
No. You need drivers for your onboard audio. It should be on your motherboards download. Lets say its Realtek HD-audio. Download the install files and run it. It should become available as an output sound device you can select in your player software.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #1,002 of 4,419
No. You need drivers for your onboard au.dio. It should be on your motherboards download. Lets say its Realtek HD-audio. Download the install files and run it. It should become available as an output sound device you can select in your player software.

i do have them installed because before this dac, I had ifi micro idsd dac and connected from back of pc rca (coax) to micro idsd rca coax and all worked. so i simply removed micro idsd and connected into new dac and that error. unless I am missing something>? i def get the output device but when I chose it, speakers play, vs before same output device went to headphones. the error is for the chosing asio output, not the direct realtek hd digital out

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #1,003 of 4,419
i do have them installed because before this dac, I had ifi micro idsd dac and connected from back of pc rca (coax) to micro idsd rca coax and all worked. so i simply removed micro idsd and connected into new dac and that error. unless I am missing something>? i def get the output device but when I chose it, speakers play, vs before same output device went to headphones. the error is for the chosing asio output, not the direct realtek hd digital out
Is coax output available under wasapi or kernal streaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back