L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jun 11, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #962 of 4,419
So, do you genuinely believe that all the latest 'cleaner', more efficient, more direct & much faster PC devices ultimately lead to better sounding music? (e.g. NVMe SSD).

I tried using SATA SSD, and NVME has larger/deeper soundstage with better layering where as the SSD was slightly smoother, more intimidating, and more musical. I opted for NVME because it boot up faster and whatever else, taking less space and I love soundstage more than anything else

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #963 of 4,419
I love soundstage more than anything else

"BINGO!" ~ same here!

Getting these dedicated cables 4 the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650 Watt MPSU:

cables 4 prime ultra titanium.jpg

....these should cut down on the excess cable clutter, improve cooling and airflow. Gets rid of the multl plug cables as these are strictly '1 to 1' custom made jobs, to correct length and spec. From 'modDIY'.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #964 of 4,419
Evening all, been monitoring this thread for some time trying to decide and I'm literally about to hit the button on a chord qutest, is the best lks really a different league or will the chord be a good choice

Please remember that in this thread it has been stated that the LKS004 has surpassed the performance of the CHORD DAVE!

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #965 of 4,419
Please remember that in this thread it has been stated that the LKS004 has surpassed the performance of the CHORD DAVE!
If you have a chance to test listen the qutest and like it, you should go ahead. My only "advice" would be you need a good preamp to go with it. I beleive qutest is a pure dac. The 004 can be a good preamp as well according to others on the form. Not that I have done any comparison myself. I'm too far gone having spent lots of time and money rolling preamp tubes already.

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #966 of 4,419
If you have a chance to test listen the qutest and like it, you should go ahead. My only "advice" would be you need a good preamp to go with it. I beleive qutest is a pure dac. The 004 can be a good preamp as well according to others on the form. Not that I have done any comparison myself. I'm too far gone having spent lots of time and money rolling preamp tubes already.
Yes, "Lodwales81" you should listen to both the qutest and the 004, otherwise you will have no real idea which you prefer, and you will always wonder if you made the right decision. I have blind tested 2 or 3 'Chords' and personally prefer the LKS004, but that's not to say you would reach the same decision/verdict!

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #967 of 4,419
Yes, "Lodwales81" you should listen to both the qutest and the 004, otherwise you will have no real idea which you prefer, and you will always wonder if you made the right decision. I have blind tested 2 or 3 'Chords' and personally prefer the LKS004, but that's not to say you would reach the same decision/verdict!
Unfortunately lks dacs are impossible to come across in any of the UK shops, it would be purchased purely on
peoples recommendations.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #972 of 4,419
Hooray, today i am successfully running Pinkfaun i2s into lks004
Still loosing lock at dpll BD01 at cold start up, it needs 10 minutes warm up
Also, the custom HDMI cables is not exactly made for the LKS004. Gotta buy a module instead. However, it is adequate to get a glimpse to compare between R2r7 VS LKS004

**10 minutes** and no longer losing lock on DPLL-BW01 on 192k upsample day Jriver and my superbly build PC!

Holy-cow, the i2s On LKS004 is so freaking good! A lot of Dynamic punches (sound pressure) in comparison to USB!
24C8698E-94A8-43F9-B2C1-39BAC5EF83A9.jpeg

Dynamic energies, gotta give an edge to LkS004
Tonal body and inner fidelity realism , the R2R7 wins very obviously. The ability to allow me to differentiate a real organic drum slams vs synthesized drum beats in EDM is crazy enough to call this*
Soundstage, gotta give a slight edge to the R2R7 as it has deeper-wider soundstage, where as 004 soundstage is a bit more intimidating. It gains in playing very detailed trebles, the kinds that I called “over saturated” in my R2R7 review before*. Just can not judge it, the Sigma-Delta of top-tier in it class VS Ladder.

My conclusion again ? LKS004 is cheaper and more affordable, it is more friendly toward many different setups in comparison to R2R7 which will be very honest and spit into your ears if your source *SUCK*! Both of these carry too different sound signatures to be called a Comparison*. More like the differences between sound signatures.

R2r7: very organic, very high quality, picky on sources (will sound horrible)! Immersive soundstage! Trebles is sweeter and better in my opinion (better realism!)....I guess it makes senses because it has much better tonal body resolutions/accuracy and realism

LKS004: Well, it is Sigma-Delta, it doesn’t carry the typical Sabre (saber tooth’s!....that means digital glares are considerably Gone in comparison to the 9018S or ....the past). Dynamic slams! W0000 feel like a drum kick is right to the face (I guess it also is stronger due to more intimidating soundstage and oversaturated edges resolution, FE, the trebles). Very detailed, great soundstage, excellent dynamic punches, over saturated edges resolutions in comparison to R2r7 ! But I know many people loves it!

**also, De-Emphasis Off = wider and deeper soundstage VS On** for lks004

Having both of these DAC, I don’t regret either one. I was about to sell LKS004, but for now ? It is worth laying around until I want to taste different sound signatures

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #973 of 4,419
Hooray, today i am successfully running Pinkfaun i2s into lks004
Still loosing lock at dpll BD01 at cold start up, it needs 10 minutes warm up
Also, the custom HDMI cables is not exactly made for the LKS004. Gotta buy a module instead. However, it is adequate to get a glimpse to compare between R2r7 VS LKS004

**10 minutes** and no longer losing lock on DPLL-BW01 on 192k upsample day Jriver and my superbly build PC!

Holy-cow, the i2s On LKS004 is so freaking good! A lot of Dynamic punches (sound pressure) in comparison to USB!

Dynamic energies, gotta give an edge to LkS004
Tonal body and inner fidelity realism , the R2R7 wins very obviously. The ability to allow me to differentiate a real organic drum slams vs synthesized drum beats in EDM is crazy enough to call this*
Soundstage, gotta give a slight edge to the R2R7 as it has deeper-wider soundstage, where as 004 soundstage is a bit more intimidating. It gains in playing very detailed trebles, the kinds that I called “over saturated” in my R2R7 review before*. Just can not judge it, the Sigma-Delta of top-tier in it class VS Ladder.

My conclusion again ? LKS004 is cheaper and more affordable, it is more friendly toward many different setups in comparison to R2R7 which will be very honest and spit into your ears if your source *SUCK*! Both of these carry too different sound signatures to be called a Comparison*. More like the differences between sound signatures.

R2r7: very organic, very high quality, picky on sources (will sound horrible)! Immersive soundstage! Trebles is sweeter and better in my opinion (better realism!)....I guess it makes senses because it has much better tonal body resolutions/accuracy and realism

LKS004: Well, it is Sigma-Delta, it doesn’t carry the typical Sabre (saber tooth’s!....that means digital glares are considerably Gone in comparison to the 9018S or ....the past). Dynamic slams! W0000 feel like a drum kick is right to the face (I guess it also is stronger due to more intimidating soundstage and oversaturated edges resolution, FE, the trebles). Very detailed, great soundstage, excellent dynamic punches, over saturated edges resolutions in comparison to R2r7 ! But I know many people loves it!

**also, De-Emphasis Off = wider and deeper soundstage VS On** for lks004

Having both of these DAC, I don’t regret either one. I was about to sell LKS004, but for now ? It is worth laying around until I want to taste different sound signatures

thank you! ~ very detailed & expressive description and conclusion. Very interesting, read this several times to let it sink in! Glad to hear you are keeping the LKS though! What do you mean about the HDMI cable needs a module?

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #974 of 4,419
thank you! ~ very detailed & expressive description and conclusion. Very interesting, read this several times to let it sink in! Glad to hear you are keeping the LKS though! What do you mean about the HDMI cable needs a module?

I am glad you like the comparisons :)

My Pinkfaun card is configured for using with AudioGD, and especially R2R7 model. It has reversed terminals on 4 signals line, and also it has M_Clock lines, where as LKS004 utilize it own M_Clock lines. So, if I want a proper output for LKS004, I have to replace the module on my Pinkfaun I2S. However, no need for now. After warmed up, the 004 can lock into BW001 without problem at 192Khz

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #975 of 4,419
I am glad you like the comparisons :)

My Pinkfaun card is configured for using with AudioGD, and especially R2R7 model. It has reversed terminals on 4 signals line, and also it has M_Clock lines, where as LKS004 utilize it own M_Clock lines. So, if I want a proper output for LKS004, I have to replace the module on my Pinkfaun I2S. However, no need for now. After warmed up, the 004 can lock into BW001 without problem at 192Khz
:ksc75smile::beerchug::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back