L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jun 19, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #977 of 4,419
quick q everyone: if one don't have dsd files, then is there any benefit is using i2s vs bnc or optical or coax?

Well, DSD Native suck on LKs004, especially if you try to run it at high quality PLL.

The I2S on the LKS004 Sound very good, eventhough I am still running PCM which is also upsample to 192khz. Optical sucks....Coax is pretty good, and you can easily run BW01 even if you do DSD, but it will be DOP, because Coax is Multibit

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #978 of 4,419
Well, DSD Native suck on LKs004, especially if you try to run it at high quality PLL.

The I2S on the LKS004 Sound very good, eventhough I am still running PCM which is also upsample to 192khz
i thought the main reason to use i2s is because of native decryption of dsd stream.. my thought was that if i dont have many/any dsd files, i can run a normal/longer cable to it . which is the preference these days? coax (rca), aes (xlr), bnc (coax connector)?

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #979 of 4,419
i thought the main reason to use i2s is because of native decryption of dsd stream.. my thought was that if i dont have many/any dsd files, i can run a normal/longer cable to it . which is the preference these days? coax (rca), aes (xlr), bnc (coax connector)?

There is never Native DSD by I2S or Coax, these are Multi-bit, and Native DSD is Single 1-bit. Every DSD will be dissected into 2 or 3 or 4 bits of DOP, which is essentially PCM. So DOP is never Native DSD.

The differences is that real PCM will be upsample and worked on by DAC, the Multi-bit DOP will be realized by the DAC and then bypass toward the final step of Capacitor arrays to analog signals.

The only Native DSD is Direct DSD Digital toward a capacitors Array (low pass filters) and no DAC in the chain :D. Because Native DSD is an already processed signals into 1 bit. Whatever you are using in between is never Native DSD

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #980 of 4,419
There is never Native DSD by I2S or Coax, these are Multi-bit, and Native DSD is Single 1-bit. Every DSD will be dissected into 2 or 3 or 4 bits of DOP, which is essentially PCM. So DOP is never Native DSD.

The differences is that real PCM will be upsample and worked on by DAC, the Multi-bit DOP will be realized by the DAC and then bypass toward the final step of Capacitor arrays to analog signals.

The only Native DSD is Direct DSD Digital toward a capacitors Array (low pass filters) and no DAC in the chain :D. Because Native DSD is an already processed signals into 1 bit. Whatever you are using in between is never Native DSD

i appreciate the explanation :). given such then, what would be your preference, if i2s is not possible.

thank you :)

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #984 of 4,419
so i have dsd files mostly. will it be better i use foobar to convert to pcm first when playing?

That sounds like a bad idea. But it depends on your setup. Where do you get your dsd files from. Are they SACD iso/rips, dsf files from sites like Blue Coast Records or just up sampled from PCM. They say most SACD are just converted from PCM. That may be so, but PCM can go up to 768 KHz and the engineering production may have done a good job with the convert to and convert back. There are also SACD that are direct from master files e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Seattle-Tsuyoshi-Yamamoto/dp/B0000YTQ1A. Converting them to PCM is likely to lose details. If you want to use the 004 i2s input, what are you using that provides the i2S output. There is a difference between an i2s stream and what may goes into an i2s input. i2s stream is multi-bit and has nothing to do with native dsd. If for example, you are outputting i2s from a Pink Faun PCIE card, it's PCM only and in fact only goes up to 192 kHz. If you are outputting from usb into an usb/i2s bridge then to 004 such as the Amanero Combo384 or Singxer SU-1, then you can pass either an i2s stream or a dsd stream (that's why the Amanero unit is called a combo). Because the 004 is Delta Sigma dac, it can process the dsd stream in its native form and some suggest that's a good way to go with dsd files. There are other considerations. Firstly, if you are using the Amanero ddc inside the 004, it's been suggested it doesn't handle dsd well with a linux music server. Secondly, the 004 can process PCM at a lower DPLL (or bandwidth) than DSD. In general a lower DPLL gives better jitter rejection. So you should have a clean source to listen to dsd, so that DPLL becomes less important. At the end of the day, listen to both and see what you like better.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #986 of 4,419
....a few posts ago on this thread somewhere you told me that there is nothing wrong with the Amanero board?

That was when both of us speaking about the powersupply and the Brass Pins Interconnect of the Amanero stacks. About the Amanero as ddc conversion module ? It is bad with Native DSD at high speed processing. It doesn’t matter anyways because you can still stick to low DPLL like BW16 ? Because it Bypass the ESS9038pro anyways. It is just annoying when you are back to listening to pcm, you need to readjust the Bw

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #987 of 4,419
That was when both of us speaking about the powersupply and the Brass Pins Interconnect of the Amanero stacks. About the Amanero as ddc conversion module ? It is bad with Native DSD at high speed processing. It doesn’t matter anyways because you can still stick to low DPLL like BW16 ? Because it Bypass the ESS9038pro anyways. It is just annoying when you are back to listening to pcm, you need to readjust the Bw
OK mate, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back