L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #391 of 4,419
How you you know what is "wonderful result" if you never tried something different?
Who said I never did ? Unless you meant to try manufactured snake skin and oil, then no.

Actually, I will rephrase it for the last time. Every different material sound different, every braiding geometry, the shielding method, they all affect the sound performances to a degree, lesser or more. However, once you have experiences and played, toyed around them all, those ideas on the principle of the concepts, you can find the “sweet spot” for your own result and satisfaction.

That is what I did, so if you asked me whether Cables affect the performances , or do I believe in Cables, yes, I do. If you ask me had I wasted money on manufactured cables ? No I have not, I don’t care for them. Most cables makers won’t be as crazy as I am in seeking the right “sound signature” for my own sound system.

I hope I made that clear

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #392 of 4,419
I wonder if anyone can explain this. When I play a CD in through the Coax the LKS reads "PCM 44". But when I rip the CD and feed it in through USB on the Amanero board the LKS reads "PCM 48". Anyone have the same issue? Is the signal being sent through the wrong clock?

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #395 of 4,419
The Amanero Combo384 is the USB input for the MH-DA004. USB signals from computers are generally of poor quality, containing jitter and noise. Depending on the magnitude of these issues the bandwidth settings for the DA004 are selected. For a high quality USB signals the setting can be quite small. I use BW02 from a USBridge for PCM and BW05 for Native DSD256.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #396 of 4,419
USB is getting signal from where? It must be some kind of form upsampling.

Sounds like windows mixer upsampling to me.

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps you can help me fix this. Up until now I have been playing only DSD and higher rez PCM files through the USB. Now I am trying to rip all my CDs and have run into this problem. I believe this "upsampling" is unnecessary and has an effect on the audio.

Set-up for USB is a portable hard drive into an ASUS e403sa lap-top (not a complicated device) running Amanero Technologies USB driver 1.0.62 dated 7/7/17* and out to the USB input on the LKS. When I click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner it indicates it is only sending audio to the Amanero.

I have verified that my .wav rips remain at 44.1/16 as the files have a bit rate of 1411kbps, which verifies them as red book.

Is there anything I should try? Is it possible there is a problem with my USB board?

Thanks.

*I'm guessing I may have gotten this from the Amanero page rather than the LKS (mu-sound.com) page. Could that make a difference? What does your Device Driver say you are running?

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #397 of 4,419
The Amanero Combo384 is the USB input for the MH-DA004. USB signals from computers are generally of poor quality, containing jitter and noise. Depending on the magnitude of these issues the bandwidth settings for the DA004 are selected. For a high quality USB signals the setting can be quite small. I use BW02 from a USBridge for PCM and BW05 for Native DSD256.

From my lap-top I am using BW07 for DSD and BW01 for PCM. However I went to the Allo USBridge site to have a look. Though it looks interesting it's all a bit confusing as to how it is used. There is no real explanation.. I have written them and asked. Their "manual" is not really a manual. Do you have a url you can refer me to that will show how the unit is hooked up and used? Or even a photo that would explain?

Thanks.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #398 of 4,419
The Allo USBridge consists of a Sparky SBC and a USBridge daughter board with USB connector. The USBridge reclocks the USB and reduces noise to a very low level, ideal for a USB DAC input. Music files can be on a hard drive or NAS. Players, software is Linux based distributions, DietPi or Volumio 2. I use a NAS and Volumio. Depending on the DAC DSD may be supported to DSD256 in the Linux environment.

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #399 of 4,419
Now I've discovered that no matter what I send to the USB, DSD or PCM of any resolution, the LKS reads "PCM 48". I may not have noticed this for a while as I have been playing vinyl and normally keep the lights off the LKS. It may have begun when I updated the firmware. I think it's time to write to Jinbo.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #400 of 4,419
Now I've discovered that no matter what I send to the USB, DSD or PCM of any resolution, the LKS reads "PCM 44". I may not have noticed this for a while as I have been playing vinyl and normally keep the lights off the LKS. It may have begun when I updated the firmware. I think it's time to write to Jinbo.

More likely to be your source and playback setup. I'd check those first.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #403 of 4,419
Hello, the typical firmware in use by lks it's firmware_1096c to see the version you need to look in control panel —> device manager —> Sound Controllers —> Board Driver —> harware ids and usb VID_PID&REVision

let me know the VID_PID&Revision of your board but lks uses firmware_1096c.

The firmware for linux is firmware_2003be_71A it works in big endian native DSD/DoP and PCM.

In windows this firmware requires a new driver.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #404 of 4,419
Hello, the typical firmware in use by lks it's firmware_1096c to see the version you need to look in control panel —> device manager —> Sound Controllers —> Board Driver —> harware ids and usb VID_PID&REVision

let me know the VID_PID&Revision of your board but lks uses firmware_1096c.

The firmware for linux is firmware_2003be_71A it works in big endian native DSD/DoP and PCM.

In windows this firmware requires a new driver.

Firmware is 1.096cxxx from Amanero.com --> Firmware history -->oem tool 117.

Under Device Manager --> Sound, video and game controllers: Driver is Amanero Technologies USB driver 1.0.62 dated 7/7/17. I don't think there's a later one for Windows 10.

Driver Properties --> Events --> Information yields:

"Device USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A\413-001 was migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A\413-001
Class Guid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0x0
Present: true"

I do not know what this means.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back