L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #362 of 4,419
In my opinion Holo plays more naturally, more live.
I'm sorry for my English. My native language is Polish
I had Holo and LKS last weekend.
LKS is more dynamic, has a bigger bass.
Bas Holo is more tigh, better than LKS, I do not like fat bass.
For me mid range is better at Holo, the voices and instruments are more realistic.
Both DACs are good, but I chose Spring L1.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #363 of 4,419
Well I ran into a good deal on this DAC, so I should have it very soon. I'm quite excited to hear a seemingly impossible upgrade in sound compared to my Resonessence Labs Concero HD, but that's what everything is pointing to. Can't wait! :)

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #364 of 4,419
Hi guys. What front end do you recommend for the D004? I have a stock Oppo 103, which would be nice to keep because I can play files off my router's NAS as well as SACD (although I listen to SACD about 2% of the time). I'm willing to give up SACD playback for an accurate, fast, tonally balanced, and detailed front end that lets me play files from NAS or an attached hard drive. I'm really looking for a sweet spot rather than absolute performance. Say, $1k or less used.

Thanks for your advice!

HC

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #366 of 4,419
I have the Allo USBridge with Volumio 2.282. It does an excellent job for PCM up to 384 and DSD, but DSD is an issue for the Amanero Combo384 that is inside the MH-DA004. The Combo384 upsamples DSD to PCM352 or PCM384 The MH-DA004 shipping firmware for the Combo384 does not yet support DSD well. There are Amanero beta firmware, user upgradeable, that works on Linux, but then the Windows driver needs to be updated, a work in progress.

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #367 of 4,419
I have the Allo USBridge with Volumio 2.282. It does an excellent job for PCM up to 384 and DSD, but DSD is an issue for the Amanero Combo384 that is inside the MH-DA004. The Combo384 upsamples DSD to PCM352 or PCM384 The MH-DA004 shipping firmware for the Combo384 does not yet support DSD well. There are Amanero beta firmware, user upgradeable, that works on Linux, but then the Windows driver needs to be updated, a work in progress.
Good Day for everybody here.
I have just received the MH-DA004 today, connecting it was simple but for some reason I just get 48K out of the USB connection.
May I kindly ask you all about the reason for this?
Thank You very much in advance for your help.
Rene Lugo.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #368 of 4,419
Good Day for everybody here.
I have just received the MH-DA004 today, connecting it was simple but for some reason I just get 48K out of the USB connection.
May I kindly ask you all about the reason for this?
Thank You very much in advance for your help.
Rene Lugo.

I had a similar problem which I wrote about to this thread. Turns out I was not dealing with JRiver correctly. If you want help it would be good to know exactly what your software is and and how you are inputting to the USB.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #369 of 4,419
Hi guys. What front end do you recommend for the D004? I have a stock Oppo 103, which would be nice to keep because I can play files off my router's NAS as well as SACD (although I listen to SACD about 2% of the time). I'm willing to give up SACD playback for an accurate, fast, tonally balanced, and detailed front end that lets me play files from NAS or an attached hard drive. I'm really looking for a sweet spot rather than absolute performance. Say, $1k or less used.

Thanks for your advice!

HC

Don't know if I would recommend it, but I have an Oppo 105 and I also use an ASUS e403sa laptop with a Toshiba hard disk to feed the USB. Originally the USB set-up was for playing ripped SACDs which could not be sent to the LKS through the Oppo. But I got a lot of advice that the clocks on the Oppos are not really good and that I should get a better CD transporter for playing disks. What I am doing instead is ripping all my CDs (a long and tedious project) to the hard disk and playing them through the USB where they are re-clocked by the very good clock on the Amanero. I do think they sound better. Since I eventually wanted to rip the CDs anyway, it was a no-brainer.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #370 of 4,419
Just to update.

I went into the playback devices settings under Windows 10 and it was just a matter of opening all the possible resolutions for the Driver.
Now it works...mar-ve-lous-ly.
I need to learn how the different settings affect the outcoming sound.
And that will be a hell of fun.
Any experienced advice will be truly appreciated.

Thank You all.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #371 of 4,419
If you upsample to DSD in software (like to DSD128 or higher), I suggest choosing setting IIR70k. DSD64 usually needs filter at 50 kHz; DSD128, 100 kHz and so on...
DPLL can be at 07, but you need to verify it because it rather demanding. Eventually, you can set DPLL more conservatively.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #372 of 4,419
If you upsample to DSD in software (like to DSD128 or higher), I suggest choosing setting IIR70k. DSD64 usually needs filter at 50 kHz; DSD128, 100 kHz and so on...
DPLL can be at 07, but you need to verify it because it rather demanding. Eventually, you can set DPLL more conservatively.

Are you talking about upsampling (output encoding) 44.1k 16-bit files to DSD within a software like JRiver? Is there really a benefit to doing so? I know I've seen this in my JRiver software but I've yet to figure out what really makes a difference and what doesn't.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #373 of 4,419
Thank You very much for your kind advice.
May I ask you what might be considered aggressive and what conservative?

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #374 of 4,419
Are you talking about upsampling (output encoding) 44.1k 16-bit files to DSD within a software like JRiver? Is there really a benefit to doing so? I know I've seen this in my JRiver software but I've yet to figure out what really makes a difference and what doesn't.
Yes. However, I use HQPlayer which is much better than JRiver at coverting PCM->DSD.
The benefit, in general, depends on the DAC itself as well - on how it handles DSD and on its analog filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back