L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Nov 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #407 of 4,419
My Hardware Ids from a stock DA004 are:
USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A&REV_0196
USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A

The REV_0196 is the firmware installed on the Combo384.

Can you report the Hardware Ids?

Don't know how to do that.

I wonder , before I hear from factory, whether after updating firmware it is necessary to erase and the reinstall the Amanero software.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #408 of 4,419
The Windows 10 driver is 1.0.62
The Windows 7 driver is 1.0.57
From Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers select Amanero Technologies USB Driver 1.0.62 (for Windows 10).
Under Details tab select Property. The drop down menu is lengthy. Near the top of the list is Hardware Ids.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #409 of 4,419
What I get is almost the same as yours:
USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A&REV_0197
USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A

So the firmware REV_0197 would appear the firmware I installed on mine. I installed in in mid-September.
Do you think that creates the problem?

Driver is given as 1.0.62 for my Windows 10.

Device instance path is given as: USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A\413-001

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #410 of 4,419
Yes... REV_0197 may cause a problem.

If possible please use Maintenance Tool 1.17:

CPLD Firmware Selection: CPLD_for_1080
Flash this version associated with CPU firmware 1.080 with prescaler option

CPU Firmware Selection: firmware_1096c
Long mute 100-200 ms F0-F3 already enabled fixed compiler optimization problem

This should solve your issue.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #411 of 4,419
Yes... REV_0197 may cause a problem.

If possible please use Maintenance Tool 1.17:

CPLD Firmware Selection: CPLD_for_1080

CPU Firmware Selection: firmware_1096c
Long mute 100-200 ms F0-F3 already enabled fixed compiler optimization problem

This should solve your issue.

Thank you.

OK. I see I made a mistake the first time around installing firmware. Just did it again using Jinbo's easy instructions--absolutely correctly, as far as I can tell.

After which I looked for Hardware IDs and it comes up, as does yours:
USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A&REV_0196
USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A

Device instance path: USB\VID_16D0&PID_071A\413-001

So now everything is back to normal through JRiver. Thanks again.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #412 of 4,419
Great to get you back to a stable situation.

If you want to experiment a little you could try:
CPLD_for_1080

firmware_1099c

Alternate settings 2 Little Endian Native DSD

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #413 of 4,419
Don't know if I would recommend it, but I have an Oppo 105 and I also use an ASUS e403sa laptop with a Toshiba hard disk to feed the USB. Originally the USB set-up was for playing ripped SACDs which could not be sent to the LKS through the Oppo. But I got a lot of advice that the clocks on the Oppos are not really good and that I should get a better CD transporter for playing disks. What I am doing instead is ripping all my CDs (a long and tedious project) to the hard disk and playing them through the USB where they are re-clocked by the very good clock on the Amanero. I do think they sound better. Since I eventually wanted to rip the CDs anyway, it was a no-brainer.

Lenny, I have all my stuff ripped to FLAC, so all I really need is a network player to feed the LKS. I can live without playing my SACDs. I don't see many options for players, though. It seems most players also have their own DACs, which drives up the cost unnecessarily. The USBridge that several here recommend and use looks interesting, but I need to learn more about it - and I think I'd prefer to use coax between the player and DAC rather than USB with all its troubles.

Now that you've had more time playing ripped files from your laptop, do you still think they sound better than spinning discs on the Oppo?

Thanks again!

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #414 of 4,419
For me, on my system, here's no question that using the lap-top for red book provides more low level information that provides spatial cues. More depth, greater width, instrumental separation. Of course the degree of improvement varies considerable with the recordings. I use it with the USB cable that came with the LKS. I actually tried a highly touted solid silver cable (with return privilege) and it turned out to have a very gritty sound to my ears, so it went back. The lap-top I use, which I originally bought for other purposes, may be a good performer for this use. It's not very sophisticated, does not have a spinning hard disk (It uses SS little more sophisticated than a zip drive.) and goes 7-8 hours on battery which is how I use it playing music. It seems dead quiet but I really don't know what high frequency noise it may be making. I'm pretty satisfied. Of course there's no comparison when playing ripped SACD through the LKS as compared to SACD disks through the Oppo. That being said, I have no idea how a set-up using a dedicated music server of some sort would compare. I've been reading about the less expensive options like Sotm and microRendu. The USBridge is very inexpensive and seems to be sort of a computer CPU to which you have to add inputs and output: keyboard, screen, etc. Very little info on the site. I've written them for more info, but to no avail. Perhaps someone who uses a USBridge could evaluate its sound and point us to a url where its use is explained in detail, Sparky, Raspberry Pi and all that stuff.

I'm sure others on this thread use music servers. Maybe we will hear from them. I'm, certainly open to trying something better. There are those who write that it's best to have all the music, CPM and DSD, to go in directly to I2S or through the coax.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #415 of 4,419
The Allo USBridge consists of a Sparky SBC and a USBridge daughter board with USB connector. The USBridge reclocks the USB and reduces noise to a very low level, ideal for a USB DAC input. Music files can be on a hard drive or NAS. Players, software is Linux based distributions, DietPi or Volumio 2. I use a NAS and Volumio. Depending on the DAC DSD may be supported to DSD256 in the Linux environment.

Does the Allo USBridge work like a USB Regen?

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #419 of 4,419
Snap2.jpg
20171121_195805.jpg

i just tried upsample to 48k 512. it plays normally but just showing un-lock. if play 44.1 512, it shows 512 as usual. any idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back